Deep Semaphore
Topics: 10
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0

Can skinning be used to reduce menu items to simplify the viewer?

I am trying to simplify the viewer for a group of users that only need to walk, talk and click on things by reducing the number of menu items to the bare minimum. Can this be achieved through skinning? 

THnx

I am interested in Art, music, technology. Exploring my creative abilities in Second Life by building and selling artifacts that fellow beings may enjoy.
Chelsea Malibu

Re: Can skinning be used to reduce menu items to simplify the viewer?

Reply to Deep Semaphore - view message

You can do a little with a new skin but not much as most of the functionality comes from the UI frame itself.  For that you would need to get an open source copy of any of the viewers and modify it which is a very extensive project.

Topics: 5

You can remove/change location of all the UI buttons as well as remove some of the top bars, but I get the feeling that isn't useful as it's something each person would need to do. I'd probably experiment with it by removing some of the xml modules but then I have no clue what I'm doing and who knows what I'd end up with. Is there still Basic mode?

You could always hire someone to do a UI skin for you (might violate the new rules, though).

Join date 6 July 2004 -- Mud! Mud! Glorious mud! Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood. So, follow me, follow, down to the hollow, And there let us wallow in glorious mud. -- Flanders and Swann
Honored Resident
Graham Mills

The file named commands in the app_settings folder seems to determine what is available in the "toybox", the drag-and-drop button repository. There is also a file called toolbars in the same folder which appears to designate the default appearance rather than the set currently displayed (which logically would be in avatar-specific settings). I have yet to play with this extensively but it suggests it should be possible to configure initial button settings for a group, albeit that those displayed subsequently are user-specified unless you use the Restore button in the "toybox".