You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ctrl+Alt+R still works, sometimes visibly and efficiently so, but I admit I also have my doubts -because of those other times it seems not to.

When it doesn't, though, I've found that momentarily going into appearance edit almost always solves the problem, for me and everyone else.

I assumed that rebake and Ctrl+Alt+R became defunct with the intoduction of serverside baking and pretty sure that I read that somewhere too, although the sl wiki on bake problems says to use rebake it looks suspiciously out of date to me.

Anyways I`m mostly a firestorm user and blurry sys clothing is mostly a thing of the past for me since ssa/ssb.

A quote from the FS wiki on bakefail reads:

"Avatar Textures Remain Blurry

This also applies if you are a cloud.

The best way to fix this is not via the usual rebake (Ctrl-Alt-R), but instead by right clicking your avatar name tag and selecting Tex.Refresh:

• Context menu: right click → Texture refresh
  • Pie menu: Right click → Appearance → Tex refresh."

Texture refresh is not a feature on sl viewer though. Are your clothing problems specific to a certain region or does it happen everywhere and what type of connection to sl do you have?

"Rebaking" your avatar with CTRL+ALT+R behaves differently since serverside appearance (SSA) went live.

When you rebake with CTRL+ALT+R on an SSA region, it re-requests your avatar's appearance from the bake service with the current COF (current outfit folder) version id. It resends your avatar appearance message, which includes your bake texture IDs.

Texture refresh throws out all the texture data and tries to fetch it anew.
To texture refresh your avatar textures on Firestorm viewer, right click your name tag -> Appearance -> Tex refresh (if using Pie menu). Right click nametag -> Texture refresh if using context menu.

When you use CTRL+ALT+R on Firestorm viewer, it will trigger a "rebake" and also a texture refresh.

This change was added here: http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/rev/d79f7d1088cd

I'm unsure what other viewers have added this change.

To me it was a huge amount of effort made defunct by the amount of mesh worn.

SSA and rebake does nothing when you land in a busy region and everyone is wearing mesh. Slowly but surely the mesh objects attach, slowly the textures download, slowly the body bits pop and if you're lucky, 10 minutes later, you're not in a world of grey or dismembered heads floating about.

Remind me which problem SSA was supposed to fix again? Oh yeah. Just fixed when it's no longer a problem.

Always smile at your healthy cynicism Sassy :smileyhappy:

Think I`ve had two  peeves that made me want kick sl and LL really hard. The first was that my favourite dress top (system layer) ever was always blurry, rebake after rebake after B****Y REBAKE sometimes fixed it, but not always, well ssa did, sooo that`s a positive.

Second, and I sense, maybe like you do that this started to happen after ssa went live ,well maybe 6 months after, or when the http code went live, that my faveourite busy places were full of bald see through people. Maybe it was just that mesh became popular at that time and everyone started wearing it and just overloaded whichever server, I don`t know, but was frustrating enough for me to find out how to file a jira.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5414

Anyways I keep a lookout for news of this being fixed and the subject sometimes crops up at the TPV meetings and there were a few words, well VERY few words on it this week and interestingly the word  throttle.........ummmmmm.

Skip to the 27th minute.

Sassy Romano wrote:

To me it was a huge amount of effort made defunct by the amount of mesh worn.

SSA and rebake does nothing when you land in a busy region and everyone is wearing mesh. Slowly but surely the mesh objects attach, slowly the textures download, slowly the body bits pop and if you're lucky, 10 minutes later, you're not in a world of grey or dismembered heads floating about.

Remind me which problem SSA was supposed to fix again? Oh yeah. Just fixed when it's no longer a problem.

It's anecdotal on my part, I can't provide direct quotes, but word on the street was LL got caught with their pants down on this.  They didn't realise how many people would use mesh clothes.  More like it would be a novelty item.

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing anyone on that street I don`t think I`d criticise LL for not having 20/20 foresight, maybe others would and it would be fair criticism idk. There was also the meshmaxconcurrency whisper going around on other streets, like set it to 100, 500, whatever, that might benefit 1 person doing it on a busy sim but if everyone was doing it actually made it worse for everyone.

There was a bit more talk about it at last Fridays TPV meeting along with the http pipeline viewer that I`m eager to use. There was a video up on youtube showing how much faster it is compared to the current viewer but it`s disappeared.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.