Windows problem?

Orca Flotta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, usually I'm on Linux but unforseen circumstances forced me to install Windoze 7 on my good computer :smileysad: Anyway, after I installed Singularity viewer (my go-to viewer) and the latest Nvidia driver and wanted to log in I got this weird message:

Unable to connect to Second Life.

Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates.

Ugh, wotz dat pleez??? For me it sounds like some paranoid wannabe security stuff. Anyone knows what it is and how to get rid of it? Info: I only installed Windows so far, didn't run any updates and don't have any firewall installed. I figgered why should I do it when Win will be replaced with a new Linux version later tonight anyway.

So, how do I proceed from here?

Orca Flotta wrote:

Well, usually I'm on Linux but unforseen circumstances forced me to install Windoze 7 on my good computer :smileysad: Anyway, after I installed Singularity viewer (my go-to viewer) and the latest Nvidia driver and wanted to log in I got this weird message:

Unable to connect to Second Life.

Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates.

Ugh, wotz dat pleez??? For me it sounds like some paranoid wannabe security stuff. Anyone knows what it is and how to get rid of it? Info: I only installed Windows so far, didn't run any updates and don't have any firewall installed. I figgered why should I do it when Win will be replaced with a new Linux version later tonight anyway.

So, how do I proceed from here?

Ouch.

This came up recently.  See this thread.  There are a few links in it.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Login-Fail/td-p/2197803

Thx Perrie, it was indeed the clock and date. Very weird. I tthought Windoze might be at least clever enough to set up the clock correctly ... but when I looked it was 01.01.2010!!! :smileysurprised: So after fixing date and time Singularity let me log in. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Thx Perrie, it was indeed the clock and date. Very weird. I tthought Windoze might be at least clever enough to set up the clock correctly ... but when I looked it was 01.01.2010!!! :smileysurprised: So after fixing date and time Singularity let me log in. :matte-motes-nerdy:

In the date and time settings for your clock there is a tab for synchronising time on the interweb.

I thought that was on by default but I could be wrong.

However under some circumstances it will not work for a computer that is on a network but I don't know the details on that.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Ya, as I alreaday said I thought Windoze would at least be smart enuff to connect with an internet time server right away. As all my Linux systsm do it I totally didn't look at the time in my win install.

It's been so long since my last windoze install that I'm not sure but I think actually during the install a window pops up asking if you want to allow this.   Anything connecting to the internet should always ask permission first.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It's been so long since my last windoze install that I'm not sure but I think actually during the install a window pops up asking if you want to allow this.   Anything connecting to the internet should always ask permission first.

Ya, Linuxes do that as well. Or  rather said they advice you to have at least x GB of free space and internet connected before hitting the <Install> button. Oh my, Winstallaton was quite a shocker, it took sooooooo fuxxing long, the PC reboots a couple of times during the process, and then you need to painstakingly type in that ultra long registration number and must acknowledge some contract thingy and oh my. My last Linux installation took like 20 minutes max, incl. all additional software (office, multimedia, steam, graphics, drivers. Is so cool and I never wanna go back.

@ Ohjiro & Dres:

LOL, it wasn't a Who but more a What. In my case the What would best be described as "unforseen circumstances". Didn't I say that already in OP? To be a bit more specific I had (still have) the feeling my GPU causes lag. Not only in SL but overall, when surfing the interwebz, when writing, when forumizing, when gimping, when  doing anything. So I did that Windoze stuff as a crosstest in order to verify if my problem is soft- or hardware based. I know it's a rather primitive and hands-on housewife approach. But as it so happens I am a fuxxin housewife, so it's appropriate, no? Makes sense?

Anyway, as it turned out there is sumfink wrong wiff me komputah. :smileysurprised:

PS: No, I don't hate Windoze, that would be too strong a term to express my feelings towards that OS. I hate M§ but not Windoze. Let's say I pity it, and first of all I pity the old me, the locked in MIcroslave who always thought owning a PC is synonymous with owning a Windoze PC and there was only the alternative of Mac. Which I also did for a couple years ... but never again. Little did I know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.