Windows Unexpected Shutdown Only When on SL...

PriscillaWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you for taking my inquiry.

This has never happened to me before, so I am at a loss. Everything else runs great on my laptop - and it does not seem to overheat (feel hot) when I am trying to interact in SL, but if I move my avatar around for only a minute - I get the blue screen which reads: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with some type of "memory dumping" being loaded up to 100 (before it can be allowed to re-boot) on the very bottom of the same blue screen.

Okay, so here are the specs of my laptop: 

Pavilion dv7-6c95dx

Microprocessor 2.20 GHz 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10 GHz

Memory 8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

Memory Max Maximum supported = 16GB

Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000

Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner

Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Connectivity

802.11b/g/n WLAN

WiMAX combo card with WiDi

^ I do believe my laptop is more than capable of handling Second Life without any issues, but for some strange reason, it's shutting down my entire laptop.

RECENT ACTIVITY: I have been scanning my laptop with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (as usual) and Advanced System care. I also installed some mandatory updates from Windows on my laptop. 

I have also cleaned out my laptop of any pictures, documents, etc... (in case it was overwhelmed by all the weight taking up space on my laptop). I even deleted my old user account on my machine and created a new administrator user account - to "start from scratch." Besides re-installing SecondLife, I have absolutely nothing else on my laptop. This has happened AFTER I deleted my ORIGINAL, cluttered Administrator Windows user account on my laptop - I just wanted to free up room on my laptop. So, when I created a brand new administrator account (with less junk on it) this crap happens. After I uninstalled and re-installed SL - this happens, literally out of the "blue."

I don't know what else to do, so any advice as to narrowing down any possible issues to be fixed would be TREMENDOUS! Thank you! 

is a memory problem

the worst is that the memory chips are failing. Requires new RAM. Or you have replaced (or added) RAM already and is the wrong type

the next worse is that your disk memory pagefile (on disk) is corrupt. Next worse bc can mean that your hard drive is beginning to fail

the least worst is that a driver is attempting to access a memory location which is unobtainable. This is caused by a bug in a driver. Which driver ?? dunno. You have to replace/update all with the drivers for each device from the manufacturers

+

here below is a step by step guide to working thru and resolving the driver and software issues. If is still not fixed after doing all this then is hardware

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/driver-irql-not-less-or-equal-0x000000d1/3109e65a-38eb-47b5-8227-80b0db5d7025

@Priscilla, IMO you have a problem with the graphic card's driver. When you updated your system with Windows Update, did you see if one of the updates was for the graphic card? Or, the driver may have been corrupted by the clean up you did, or by some system crash.

What I suggest is that you go to the Intel website and search for the latest driver for your graphic card. If the problem still happens there may be a chance that the driver is faulty, then you could try installing an older version.

Good luck.

THANK YOU guys for all your input, I truly appreciate it. 

I am in the process of buying a new computer and I was wondering if Second Life works best with Apple desktops? 

Like this one? ....

Here are the specs of this Apple desktop:

Memory: 8GB of memory

500GB Hard Drive

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 5000

(^ although the system requirements for SL is an ATI Radeon 9200 and above

OR NVIDIA GeForce 2, GeForce 4) <-- don't know if IntelHD Graphics 5000 is enough???

*Below is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-21-5-imac-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/2680419.p?id=1219075853336&skuId=2680419

@Priscilla, the short answer is: not necessarily. IMO, there isn't any significant advantage in running SL on a Mac. What is more important is the computer specs, and either a good PC or Mac with the rights specs can run SL well. As a matter of fact, based on what I read in blogs, Mac users have a number of issues caused by software. I don't remember the details, you may want to Google it to verify this yourself. I am not fond of Apple products and I'd stick with a PC, but this is my personal preference.

What is important is to have plenty of memory (8 GB is good, a bit more is better) and a good graphic card. Definitely go for an ATI or NVidia card, forget the Intel card. My personal preference is for NVidia. Make sure to get one of the more recent geeration cards. When you write NVidia GeForce 2 or 4 I suppose you mean the series 2 or 4. Those are not latest generation cards, they are rather old, in fact. Latest NVidia generations are series 7 and 9. Again, Google for specs before you buy.

One more thing: I think it is better to get a computer made by single parts rather than one enclosing all into a single part. That Mac looks great but doesn't look like it is easy to upgrade or replace a faulty part. What if you decide to get a better graphic card or a bigger monitor one day?

Priscilla

A lot of folk are getting messages very much like this, and following some investigation, it appears that it is a graphic card driver issue, precipitated by an MS update to IE11.  Now this does probably mean that you are likely to use IE11 as your default browser and I have been told that if you use Firefox this issue does not arise, though I cannot vouch for that.

Those with NVidia cards are able to migrate to a beta driver which does not crash, but I have not yet heard whether Intel have done likewise.

It is my hope that MS will realise their error and issue a revised update soon, but since (I believe) it is due to cards responding to the load placed upon them by SL's OpenGL code, which is quite rare, I doubt if it will happen soon, or at all. :smileysad:

If you like Apple and it works for your other applications, you can get by with Apple for Second Life.

If the new machine is primarily for Second Life, you'll likely be happer with Windows. Problems seem to get solved for Apple well after the solutions for problems have been rolled out for Windows.

Through 2014 there were several problems on the Apple side that the Lab tried to fix. The problems were caused by issues in the Apple software and drivers. There were no good work-around solutions. Apple needed to fix the problem. Those problems were only resolved in the next OS release by Apple. It took several months for SL users to see Apple provide a fix.

Apple and AMD/ATI graphics also lag in keeping OpenGL up to date and working well. Windows and NIVIDIA do a much better job.

An Apple with NVIDIA graphics does seem to do pretty well.

There are no hard numbers on which is best. Plus it can change with time. The big part of deciding on a new computer is personal preference.

Intel's HD Graphics chips are designed for image processing (streamed movies), not for 3D rendering.

For lots of opinions ask in world in the Firestorm Support group. Also, ask over on the SLUniverse forum. 

When you find a video card you like search here and in SLUniverse for that model number. You'll see posts about how it is or is not working with SL.

• 3 weeks later...

PriscillaWolf wrote:

THANK YOU guys for all your input, I truly appreciate it. 

I am in the process of buying a new computer and I was wondering if Second Life works best with Apple desktops? 

Like this one? ....

Here are the specs of this Apple desktop:

Memory:
8GB of memory

500GB Hard Drive

Graphics: 
Intel® HD Graphics 5000

(^ although the system requirements for SL is an ATI Radeon 9200 and above

OR NVIDIA GeForce 2, GeForce 4) <-- don't know if IntelHD Graphics 5000 is enough???

*Below is the link:

I'm sorry to be so late in replying to this thread, and wish I had noticed it earlier.  :(

Disclaimer:    I'm a MacBook Pro owner, and pretty much sick & tired of all the constant work-arounds I must learn and/or create, in order to enjoy Second Life.

The desktop you are considering, is an iMac .... that means it's basically an enlarged laptop on a cute stand.   The graphics chip (regardless of whether it's Intel, ATI or NVidia) is integrated into the motherboard.   It is not replaceable or upgradable by the user.    Additionally, RAM on this particular model is not upgradable, so you're stuck with 8 GB with no option for more.

There are mac users on SL who are happy with their machines here.  I suspect they don't go to busy clubs or frequent graphics intensive environments in SL.   

MacBook Pros (and iMacs) run hot.  It's a fact of life.   I don't have the sort or size of cooling fans that an Asus ROG laptop has, for instance.   When I am in SL, my gpu is very frequently hovering over the 90 C temperature (194+ F).   Apple says this is normal and expected behavior.   I'm sure most Windows users would say it's insane.  Regardless, it's HOT! ....  I can't get an Apple engineer to test in SL, but my belief is that when my gpu reaches that temperature, it kind of goes into self-preservation mode, and slows itself down.   The end effect, is that I am lagged in Second Life.

I don't hate macs, but I will not buy one with the intention of using it for SL.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.