Will SL really continue after the new platform?

Fusionbolt2000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In worst case they can shut down the Lab pretty soon. Who wants to spend money and time on an inventory which will be obsolete within a few months? Or on maintaining it? Or on decorating a sim? Or whatever?

A better Second Life is a good idea, but as long as people can´t transfer inventory, it´s a suicidal idea.

Everyone says "as long as SL is profitable. it won't be shut down."

You've never heard tell of a profitable product being shut down in the spirit of putting all resources into a new one? Seriously? If LL believes they can make even more money (or wants to convince us that they do) by putting all resources behind the new platform, bye bye old one.

Linden Lab shut down the teen grid and reduced the age minimum for the main grid to enable running only one platform. Now all of a sudden they want to run two again? Baloney.

Second Life 1, as i'll call it, is now a breeding ground. Mark my words. LL looks at the 50K concurrency and sees target market #1 for what we'll call SL 2. The Second Life we know is nothing more than that to them and will be maintained as such, until that target audience is gone (either to SL 2 or away from LL).

Thats not a bad strategy in and of itself...if played correctly. But by announcing this now, Lindem Lab has risked making the current SL a lame duck. Who is going to invest in adding to this grid when they know a new one is being worked on? And if I'm right on that, you can forget new consumers coming in to buy things. The trickle effect will cause that 50K concurrency to slip further.

I've heard people say "don't close up shop and kill the SL economy even faster."

Newsflash: people do business to get a piece of the economic pie, not to prop it up. If new blood isn't coming in, eventually businesses just sit there draining money from creator pockets. Businesses don't like that.

Most likely it's a death knell for SL.

Some people will move to the evil closed source jail of LL's new world, some will move to the opensource nature of High Fidelity, a small number will be left in the tumbleweeds and landbots here. The lab probably don't intend to close SL, but the nature of people is to flock elsewhere.

This is a very sad time. Not all content will go over, most people will dissapear to other places as LL drive a stake into the heart of an 11 year old virtual world and who knows how many millions of dollars worth of content.

I for one can see the writing on the wall. LL screwed up big time by announcing this, even before they have a working platform. I spend $290 a month in tier for a sim and already am thinking of looking at other options. I can't imagine how vast land holders feel. I for one am not going to spend any more money in SL for items I don’t know if they will transfer or if I would even like the new platform. I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way. Yes people say don't quit spending, help keep SL alive. Tell me, when a company announces it is losing profits with no end in sight what do investors do? They pull out. We have only seen the tip of what is to come. It will be a snowball effect. The more people quit spending the more businesses close up shop. Why pay good money just to prop up SL. Soon SL will look like a ghost town. People will start leaving. Their friends will go with them. Companies will pull out. Real-estate will plummet and LL will not have a choice. They will close down SL and put all their assets into making the new grid work. Big risk for a company. I can see major layoffs and SL loosing good quality people. Perhaps some of them will start their own grid, kind of like open world but more friendly. Perhaps not. I fear the good people of SL will soon be grains of sand drifting in the wind looking for a new place to call home. I don't see SL surviving long enough to run side by side with the new platform.

What they THINK they'll get is a whole new demographic of kids who'll line up to buy Oculus VR goggles and maybe a slice of their income stream as a "cheers for the new customers."  They don't realize that many SLers are on limited incomes and can't buy the gadget du jour.  Most of us only tolerate the lag issues associated with viewers getting too bloated to run on our old computers we can't afford to replace because of all our friends here on SL.

Of course, I've probably just given Mr. Altberg a reason to run us cripples and old folks out of SL - we can't compete with what they imagine they'll get when they migrate to an all-VR business model.  

Just remember Nintendo's "Virtual Boy" - we got the kids some for Christmas, and yeah. one of them couldn't use the thing at all without getting blinding migraines and vomiting.  

Actually, it doesn't even have to get that bad - just imagine what a double-dip recession will do to a business model which requires your customers all to own $500 VR goggles and a $700 (at LEAST) computer!

Just sayingggg......

I feel your pain.  My quarter-sim's running me just under US$100/month and I'd still do that if I were assured that the expense would give me and my friends a place to be and enjoy life - but I had a very upsetting conversation with a friend who manages another site about this move.

Unless SL does something - and I mean DAMNED FAST - to counter the FUD (fear doubt and uncertainty) surrounding SL now, tenants like me will fold our estates and hang around as Basic members.  I can't BELIEVE I was stupid enough to put this much money in tier into a  virtual world which won't commit to backward compatibility.  

My reply to Mr. Altberg is to quote the Cavalier poet Herriot

"I'll be true as long as you, and not a moment longer!"

For people like me on limited incomes, an SL that'll just go away in a year and a half won't be a lame duck, it'll be a dead duck.  I may as well migrate what inventory I can to another grid and hope for the best.  I'm sure that the Open SIm grids are seeing a massive influx because of this, and honestly, my US$ would go a lot farther in Inworldz or another OS grid.  I've already got a presence in Inworldz, so it's just a matter of taking my full perm prims with me and starting over, over there.

I certainly would have no issues at all with paying Inworldz the US$9.95 I now spend on a Premium Membership here.  Speaking of things to reconsider...

This little interview of Altberg's is the dumbest move in the history of dumb moves, but at least he was honest about it and gave us all the year and a half's notice to wind up our virtual presence here and go elsewhere.

Not looking forward to going to each designer in my 56K item list and begging for permission to transfer prims from SL, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

See you in the OS Grids!

Ina Fairport wrote:

Well, its clear for me. I won't spend my money anymore in SL. I had plans to become premium again and buy a nice parcel at mainland. But no way....

I own land at a private estate. I will sell it as soon as possible and rent a 512 parcel somewhere or a simple skybox and in the meantime see what happens.

Why?

I don't completely see the logic in this.

At best all that all of us have ever done is pay rent here when you boil it down.

You have your move in costs (buying the SIM or Parcel) and then you pay rent (Tier).

Now if you were purchasing land as a way to generate income, it would be different because you would want to be certain of your return on investment. 

But if all you are doing is using the land for personal enjoyment, what's the big deal?

Why deprive yourself of that enjoyment?

Sorry, it is your money and none of my business what you do with it, but I tend to agree with Perrie.

I will renew my premium account in September and will keep my 2048 sqm parcel... I may even buy another small parcel that eventually becomes vacant in the region, if it is contiguous to the one I have, and see how it all goes. But yes, I won't be buying any more products that may or may not become obsolete — I have too many in my inventory, already.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

Well, its clear for me. I won't spend my money anymore in SL. I had plans to become premium again and buy a nice parcel at mainland. But no way....

I own land at a private estate. I will sell it as soon as possible and rent a 512 parcel somewhere or a simple skybox and in the meantime see what happens.

Why?

At best all that all of us have ever done is pay rent here when you boil it down.

You have your move in costs (buying the SIM or Parcel) and then you pay rent (Tier).

Now if you were purchasing land as a way to generate income, it would be different because you would want to be certain of your return on investment. 

But if all you are doing is using the land for personal enjoyment, what's the big deal?

Rather spend it on something that will count for something for more than a year or two?

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

Why?

Rather spend it on something that will count for something for more than a year or two?

Absolutely.  If you have something now that is better to spend it on, then yes, go for it.

But you know, you will still incur "move in costs" whether they be tangible and / or intangible.

But if you don't have something better now....then why deprive yourself of the enjoyment?

Perrie Juran wrote:

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

Why?

Absolutely.  If you have something now that is better to spend it on, then yes, go for it.

But you know, you will still incur "move in costs" whether they be tangible and / or intangible.

But if you don't have something better now....then why deprive yourself of the enjoyment?

Fair enough, but even saving the money up for the new one could make a fair argument, especially if you have questions regarding the costs and economic structure of the next platform - which most of us likely do.

And I won't paint everyone with this brush because I am sure when people rent a parcel they sometimes just use what they already have in inventory to decorate, but there are many who go shopping to buy things for their new place. Well, this announcement puts an expiry date (even if only fairly approximate and subject to change) on every house, piece of furniture, and everything else for sale on the current grid.

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

Why?

Fair enough, but even saving the money up for the new one could make a fair argument, especially if you have questions regarding the costs and economic structure of the next platform - which most of us likely do.

And I won't paint everyone with this brush because I am sure when people rent a parcel they sometimes just use what they already have in inventory to decorate, but there are many who go shopping to buy things for their new place. Well, this announcement puts an expiry date (even if only fairly approximate and subject to change) on every house, piece of furniture, and everything else for sale on the current grid.

Eventually my buying habits will change, especially after I get a better grasp on what migration to the new SL involves.  But that is still a couple of years down the road. 

So standing here today, with that expiration date a couple of years down the road, does it make sense to just abandon your land tomorrow?  Maybe to some people it does.  But to me it doesn't.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Eventually my buying habits will change, especially after I get a better grasp on what migration to the new SL involves.  But that is still a couple of years down the road. 

So standing here today, with that expiration date a couple of years down the road, does it make sense to just abandon your land tomorrow?  Maybe to some people it does.  But to me it doesn't.

Tomorrow? No, not really.

Unless you look at this as the straw that broke the camels back and are tired of LL.

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Unless you look at this as the straw that broke the camels back and are tired of LL.

It's funny in a way, but I once said to someone that I never knew I was supposed to hate Linden Lab until I started participating in the Forums.

I'm right in line with people who say that sometimes LL does a horrible job at customer support.

Also, I have not agreed with all of LL's policy decisions.

Maybe I have a higher threshold for pain.

But you're right, there are some people for whom it is the final straw in a long line of perceived injustices, whether they are real or not. 

LL has not come anywhere close to my threshold, but that is me personally.

Perrie Juran wrote:

SLAddict Allen wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It's funny in a way, but I once said to someone that I never knew I was supposed to hate Linden Lab until I started participating in the Forums.

I'm right in line with people who say that sometimes LL does a horrible job at customer support.

Also, I have not agreed with all of LL's policy decisions.

Maybe I have a higher threshold for pain.

But you're right, there are some people for whom it is the final straw in a long line of perceived injustices, whether they are real or not. 

LL has not come anywhere close to my threshold, but that is me personally.

No two people have the same threshold. But everybody has one.

I too have had many gripes. Some shared by many. Others not so much (I was one of the few fans of Viewer 2.0).  Personally? I'm going to be here until the switch and I am going to try SL 2. But I do believe they shot themselves in the foot big time. Not because I think the proverbial sky is falling, but because a number of people inevitably will.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.