Weird disconnects

Zeanes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know I'm not the only one that has the problem as some friends have as well.  For some reason we're being disconnected but not kicked until we try to teleport.  The reason I put it this way is I can be at the store I work at and be fine for hours.  But sometimes it won't change my clothes.  Then if I try and port I'll get the message I have been disconnected however if I don't try to port I'm still connected. I can still chat and world objects will still change (lucky letters, MM boards and such that update regularly).  I've been through this and almost every other forum I can think of.  Made system and network tweaks and yet nothing has helped.  It's worse during peak hours but happens 24/7.  I find that the 'you have been disconnected' message a bit misleading as technically I wasn't disconnected until I tried to port but there is something that isn't working in the background causing the problems.  As a side but potentially helpful or related issue we have a very active group chat and many times lately there is a delay in messages getting posted.  Sometimes up to 5 minutes.  When the chat is designed to inform of time limited deals this is problematic to say the least.  The other thing with chat is that the messages will post in reverse order many times.  So a message I sent first will arrive last which really makes things confusing for people.

I've used every viewer out there with the same results though at the moment the Phoenix and Firestorm based one's are the most stable.  I've done fixes for my video card which helped fix other issues so I don't think it's that now.  It seems to be network/internet related and since I've opened the router and everything I can think of it really appears that it's server side or something else at this point.

I recently switched internet providers and I had that same thing happen. I have a laptop that was connected into the router. Nothing I did helped. Every time I tp'd it would do the same thing. What I ended up figuring out on my own (linden labs didn't help and were rude) is unplugging it and going with a wireless connection. Sl worked just fine after that. So maybe it needs to be a wireless connection to work? Just some ideas.

Thanks for the update but that hasn't helped.  I've tried wireless and then actually with my setup ran a hardwire to 2nd router. My RL partner is direct into main one and ports more than I do and has a lot more issues with this to the point that it's almost unplayable for her.  It really seems there's something else going on at this point but I'm not sure what.

Out of curiosity though what ISP did you switch to?  We moved recently and it's gotten worse so that MAY have something to do with it but I haven't had issues with anything other than SL.  Other MMOs and online things work fine.  It's only SL that has problems.

I've checked our speed and other connectons (15MB down 1 up) ping usally under 70ms etc... So right now I have a really hard time buying that it'd be ISP related unless they're blocking certain types of SL traffic which would make no sense to me.

For a quick summary the issues seem ONLY with Group chats, Porting, and at times resing/changing outfits.  I'm guessing there's something either in the server communications or network communications that is specfic to those things that might not cause a full dissconnect.  Not sure what though and have no idea how to fix it but either they're all using the same port and other items don't which then ISP could be throttleing OR There's a problem on server side related to these specfic types of communications.

Something else I just thought of (because it JUST happened) is that I will be unable to open NEW chat windows with friends too until I relog.  Basically anything already open stays fine but am unable to do anything new until I relog.  Weather change clothes, port or talk to people that just logged in.

Yeah I had problem with my clothing, it would constantly load or overtime I tp Id log out. Anything basically other then chat or walk around I was screwed. The only difference for me was that I was hooked up. So I went wifi and it was fine. I had comcast and they fd me over so I switched to satellite. Granted its a little slower its not unbearable. 

Some info I thought of as I was perusing through the forum here.  There are a couple SIMs/regions that don't seem to have a problem.  Especially after a crash I have to log into them first for my stuff to come in even if I have not cleared my chache.  It really feels like a network issue/SIM issue and potentially related to another topic which I haven't found if it was resolved or not but have seen similar issues from a client side not as a SIM owner.  Number of avatars doesn't seem to matter.  in fact many times I've been the only one in an area.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Increase-in-Instant-SIM-LAG-amp-Crashes-During-Larger-Events/td-p/1683765

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game and every viewer out there multiple times and if it was just me I'd lean that direction but it's others too and not just my partner in the same house but across the country and world.

Look through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection to see if there is anything you have missed. This is an SL specific guide.

Make sure you restart the router. 

For these types of questions the ISP and the type of router and model you have is helpful. Alwaays get yuor commputer specs from About->Help... and include them.

There are other viewers you can try too. The main release viewer has problems with some Microsoft programs like Skydrive. The Beta and Development viewers will have fewer of those problems because of efforts to fix those problems.

You can have all three installed without conflict. BUT... if you decide to remove any of then avoid the uninstall program. Manually delete the install folder. The uninstall can wipe your chat logs and settings for other viewers. (I've been told this is fixed and an uninstall only unlinstalls for a specific version. I'm paranoid on the point.)

Well to give the details,

have Mediacom internet 15MB (holds steady and can play other MMOs without interruption)

WRT310Nv2 router

Cat6 from modem to router and to PC

Have been through the guides more times than I care to count making sure the settings were right.

As to viewers which one do you want me to try again since Sunday,  Been through Exodus, Phoenix, Firestorm, Singularity, I know my partners found a couple others that haven't helped.  Have done full wipes fresh downloads and clean installs of all.

Running I3 3.01 CPU

4 Gigs of Ram

1Gig Radeon 5770

Win 7 64 bit

Have installed the MS patch for the CPU and GPU communications.  

Like I said though it's not crashing it's random disconnects usually after I'm unable to open or add anything from my inventory.  If I try to port then I'll get disconnected even if I don't port eventually I'll be disconnected.  I know other's that have same problems and aren't on the same ISP/router setup I am.  That's why it appears to be either a SIM issue as there are a couple of SIMs where this doesn't appear to happen often if at all.  Or it's a problem with the network communications with SL in how it transmits specfic data.  It appears to be a time bleed in the network or memory leak of some kind.  

Uggg Ok.  So let's assume it's the WRT routers.

What's a good one to go with?  I've been using them for years with other MMOS running multiple boxes and had no problems.  Evidently SL's more of a network pig than I even thought.

Grid: Second Life

Built with MSVC version 1600

You are at 146576.4, 237598.6, 23.1 in Pisa located at sim4914.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.23.87:12035)
Second Life Server 12.10.12.265826
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (3076.23 MHz)
Memory: 3960 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1151
OpenGL Version: 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635, Runtime: 1.4.0.635
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.42.02
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Packets Lost: 0/5698 (0.0%)

These stats are pulled naked will post clothed again for comparison.  The one above is the least stable of the 3 places I can get to when I first log in (namely due to easy to type locations or my home)

You are at 232076.9, 284858.9, 750.1 in RainGap Passion located at sim9920.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.46.62:13006)
Release Notes

Packets Lost: 0/8713 (0.0%)

You are at 236673.2, 243459.8, 51.6 in Primal Dreams located at sim10135.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.48.201:13002)
Release Notes

Packets Lost: 0/10239 (0.0%)

out of all of them ironically the last one is the most stable of the 3.  I've picked these locations as due to the issues I never know what if anything I'll be wearing.  MOST but not all of the time when I log into primal I will have no problems loading my inventory then I will be fine.  

You are at 146,571.0, 237,591.0, 24.3 in Pisa located at sim4914.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.23.87:12035)
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (3076.24 MHz)

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 1000
LOD factor: 2
Packets Lost: 0/1,385 (0.0%)

Firestorm 4.2.2 (29837) Aug 27 2012 19:20:05 (Firestorm-Release)

Release Notes

You are at 198,294.0, 253,825.0, 42.0 in Toxic Bish located at sim9792.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.45.126:13001)

Second Life RC LeTigre 12.10.22.266173

Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core i3 CPU         540  @ 3.07GHz (3076.24 MHz)

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Settings mode: Firestorm

Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)

Font Used: Deja Vu (96)

Draw distance: 128

Bandwidth: 1000

LOD factor: 2

Packets Lost: 0/5,344 (0.0%)

Notice the last location?  This is the place I have the most problems.  3 of the 4 are the most stable with the last one being ok unless I try and port out of there sometimes.  However if I get disconnected instead of logging out correctly then there is 0 chance of me logging into the last location and having inventory or being able to port.  The first location is my actual home and it's about 50/50 while primal is the most stable of the locations to start in and feel confident that my inventory will load after a disconnect.  I'm not discounting that it could still be the router.  Just posting some info that MAY help as it really does seem to be effected most by the server version as if I stick away from the last server type I seem to be ok.  The problem is that's where I work.  So staying away isn't an option.  In a bit of testing porting around to my usual places I've noticed that MOST of my problem areas seem to be on the RC LaTigre but not all.  The first locale (my home) bother's me as I see no reason other than server hardware why it should be any different than say Primal as they are the same release code but when a disconnect happens I seem to be unable to load there and have to port into primal so that items will load then I will be fine at times for hours.  Well this makes sense.  In reading the server update notes I noticed the dev viewer so out of desperation I downloaded it and trying it.  So far no real problems.

Your problem most likely is server hardware, take a look at allocated memory and you will likely find it in the three didgit area, look at it again Wednesday after the restarts and it will be much lower but will creap back up over the next few days, this seems to be a memory leak that appeared about three weeks ago and which LL has either not or been unable to fix.

Blaming these problems on connections, routers, third party or even sl viewers is just a smoke screen that conveniently overlooks the fact that all of these things send information and commands to the server core which apparently is not sending the proper responses out to the servers.  This in turn is leading to lag and sudden crashes.  Adding new programs will not help and will almost certainly make things worse, and repairing server code on restarts apparently is doing little good either, this is a hardware problem likely related to to timing issues that LL has not resolved since it introduced MONO several years ago and which has just gotten progressively worse this year.  Until someone takes the time to fix the problem, and it can be fixed as we saw it fixed in Zerango several week ago and then recreated in the next restart which did not take into consideration the modification that had been made in the server over the previous weekend when it nearly failed completely.  These problems need to be given priority, however, they rather seem to be ignored in the hope that further code will undo the mess that previous code has made.  Unfortunately that is like putting a bandaid on a gapping wound and things only get worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found all of the answers suggestions here on the forums really helpful but there's one thing I can not seem to find.  A list of recomended or compatible routers?!  I've found plenty of blogs etc that say my Linksys routers are known to have issues but what I cant' find is anyone to say "This router or that router is good"  AKA D-ling, hawking, etc.  Ideally I'm looking for a Gigabit/wireless N router.  I have a linksys one but seems it has issues as it's one of the WRT or WTR series.  /sigh  So before I get another router would like to know what is known to work as it really does seem something is off network wise.  No graphics crashes lately.  it's all just random disconnects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.