Viewer stalls at login, also SL website extremely slow

Mandy Carbenell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure I entirely trust the official status page. Some people then shout "Connection!" as if it were the abracadabra of networking. Trouble is, we're on different continents, and using different ISPs, and just saying you don't see a problem is pretty useless.

I have been seeing a lot of things that could be blamed on bad connections, the classic "somebody else's problem" of the internet, but Second Life seems to be shovelling a lot more data than hitherto at us. That's going to make connection quality matter more, but why the change.

It doesn't seem to depend on graphics quality settings. I did suspect the Project Interesting changes as being a factor, from the timing of the effect and the timing of a Viewer upgrade. And the figure in the Stats window is labelled UDP data, so why would it increase when so much has been shifted to HTTP?

I don't see dropped packets reported. The Stats window showing a round-trip time to the Linden Lab servers which is pretty consistent, a little slower than raw Ping data to the cities where the LL Servers are located, as you'd expect.

But, once textures have downloaded after arrival, why am I seeing a sustained UDP download level of over 250 kilobits per second? It used to settle at below 100 kilobits.

How much are our current problems down to poor connection, and how much to the return of Prune Linden?

Carol Darkthief wrote:

Trouble is, we're on different continents, and using different ISPs, and just saying you don't see a problem is pretty useless.

Well, the OP asked:

"Is it just me or is LL working on something?"

"Does anyone else have the same issues?"

I answered those questions.

I'm so sorry for my useless answer.  ashamed.gif :smileyvery-happy:

There are serveral possibilities. It may be your equipment, the ISP's equipment, or the Lab's equipment and possibly some combination. Having a good Internet connection one moment does ot mean you will have a good one the next or that you have a good connection to the Lab's servers.

Two things to consider:

http://blog.nalates.net/2014/08/18/512k-internet-slow-down/

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.