Linden
Caleb Linden

Re: Threaded Region Crossing Pile On Tests

Reply to Caleb Linden - view message

Testers would like to bring their testing objects over to ADITI, please pack them up and drop them off on 'Sandbox Goguen' (AGNI) by 15:30 PST. I will then import that simstate to its ADITI counterpart.

ac14 Hutson

[ Edited ]

Current results in empty regions. (all tests preformed using my avatar ~400 prims 1851kb memory 29 scripts)

Going from threaded to non threaded (orange to green)

Note:times are measured from when i lose control of the vehicle to when i regain it.

havok 1 era prim vehicle. 8 scripts 131kb
 - practically instant.

Brand new mesh vehicle. 50 scripts 1295kb

- 12-14 seconds

Going between threaded regions. (orange to orange)

havok 1 era prim vehicle. 8 scripts 131kb
 - practically instant.

Brand new mesh vehicle. 50 scripts 1295kb

- 8-10 seconds

When velocity interpolate objects is turned off the time it takes to cross using the mesh vehicle is cut in half. to between 5 and 6 seconds.

Crossing regions using just an avatar is practiaclly instant.

(times did not seem to change after more avatars entered one of the regions.)

Going between blue regions with the mesh vehicle results in 9-10 seconds times also.

Adding another person to the mesh car made no diffrence in the crossing time on threaded regions

Linden
Caleb Linden

Thanks so much for helping me test the region crossing build. I think we have found quite a few issues today and I'd like us to file them as jiras, but assign them to me directly. Also, please, add "Region Crossing: " in the subject line for easy searches.

Linden
Maestro Linden

Hi ac14, how well does that vehicle cross between 'Second Life Server' regions, such as between 'GC Test 3' and 'GC Test 4' on Aditi?  I performed a few test crossings between different server versions, and I see similar region crossing performance with the new code as the old code, using this test script:

// roughly estimate how long each region crossing took, in seconds
// this script isn't very precise, with a resolution of 1 second (and potentially affected by clock skew between regions)
{
    state_entry()
    {
        string oldRegion = llGetRegionName();
        integer sample = llGetUnixTime();
        while(1)
        {
            if(oldRegion != llGetRegionName())
            {
                integer cross_time = llGetUnixTime()-sample;
                llSay(0, "Crossing from " + oldRegion + " to "
                    + llGetRegionName() 
                    + " took " + (string)cross_time + "s");
                oldRegion =  llGetRegionName();
            }
            sample = llGetUnixTime();
            llSleep(0.1);
        }
    }
}

A script in a mesh vehicle containing 306KB of scripts always took 2 seconds to cross between a pair of 'DRTSIM-184 Threaded', 'DRTSIM-184 Unthreaded', or 'Second Life Server' regions.  A more bloated mesh vehicle, with 1472KB of scripts, takes 4 seconds to cross between the regions.  The crossing time between 'DRTSIM-184 Unthreaded' and 'DRTSIM-184 Threaded' regions is a bit slower in both cases, but I believe this can be explained by the sim hosts being in different server colos.