Threaded Region Crossing Pile On Tests

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

In an upcoming server build, Linden Lab has changed the way agents and their attachments get carried over in the event of a region crossing. And we need your help to test region crossing in a pile-on fashion.

On Wednesday, December 19th at 16:00 PST (Pacific Standard Time) please join IRC (EFNET -> #sltest) to launch Second Life and join us via the following SLurl GC Test 9

For those, who would like to bring their testing objects over to aditi, please pack them up and drop them off on 'Sandbox Goguen' (AGNI) by 15:30 PST. I will then import that simstate to its ADITI counterpart.

The details of the tests are here

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Threaded_Region_Crossing_Beta_Tests

In the meantime, please let us know if you need access the the test regions mentioned on the wiki or have additional questions.

Caleb Linden wrote:

In an upcoming server build, Linden Lab has changed the way agents and their attachments get carried over in the event of a region crossing. And we need your help to test region crossing in a pile-on fashion.

On
Wednesday, December 19th at 16:00 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time)
please join IRC (EFNET -> #sltest) to launch Second Life and join us via the following SLurl

The details of the tests are here

In the meantime, please let us know if you need access the the test regions mentioned on the wiki or have additional questions.

Will we be needing to use the official viewer or do you want TPV's also?

Will you be providing the Mesh Vehicles for us to use during the test?

Do we need to be a member of a special group as we had to in the last Pile On?

Will we all get "I Survived The Pile On" badges afterwards?  ;)

Dear MrCaleb

Please excuse Echo from Phys Ed this week

Unfortunately the time of the Pile On clashes with my UK schedule, and I won't be able to make this one. :matte-motes-frown:

Love and kisses

Welcome to the forums :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

/me waves at Perrie - and remembers I owe someone a msg.

• Lindens

Hi Perrie,

"Will we be needing to use the official viewer or do you want TPV's also?"

Since this a backend change, you may chose to use the official viewer or TPV.

"Will you be providing the Mesh Vehicles for us to use during the test?"

I have dropped a really generic mesh vehicle based on the Library Kart.

secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/GC Test 9/143/112/23

"Do we need to be a member of a special group as we had to in the last Pile On?"

Just make sure to become a member of the Second Life Beta group

Please, let me know if there is anything else to be sorted out.

Thank you,

Caleb

• Lindens

Also for those who cannot make it today on Wednesday 4pm PST, feel free to poke around the regions and use the vehicle or moving devices from your personal inventory.

I also encourage you to try out different kinds of attachments to test that region crossing doesn't fail.

Current results in empty regions. (all tests preformed using my avatar ~400 prims 1851kb memory 29 scripts)

Going from threaded to non threaded (orange to green)

Note:times are measured from when i lose control of the vehicle to when i regain it.

havok 1 era prim vehicle. 8 scripts 131kb
 - practically instant.

Brand new mesh vehicle. 50 scripts 1295kb

- 12-14 seconds

Going between threaded regions. (orange to orange)

havok 1 era prim vehicle. 8 scripts 131kb
 - practically instant.

Brand new mesh vehicle. 50 scripts 1295kb

- 8-10 seconds

When velocity interpolate objects is turned off the time it takes to cross using the mesh vehicle is cut in half. to between 5 and 6 seconds.

Crossing regions using just an avatar is practiaclly instant.

(times did not seem to change after more avatars entered one of the regions.)

Going between blue regions with the mesh vehicle results in 9-10 seconds times also.

Adding another person to the mesh car made no diffrence in the crossing time on threaded regions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lindens

Hi ac14, how well does that vehicle cross between 'Second Life Server' regions, such as between 'GC Test 3' and 'GC Test 4' on Aditi?  I performed a few test crossings between different server versions, and I see similar region crossing performance with the new code as the old code, using this test script:

// roughly estimate how long each region crossing took, in seconds// this script isn't very precise, with a resolution of 1 second (and potentially affected by clock skew between regions)default{    state_entry()    {        string oldRegion = llGetRegionName();        integer sample = llGetUnixTime();        while(1)        {            if(oldRegion != llGetRegionName())            {                integer cross_time = llGetUnixTime()-sample;                llSay(0, "Crossing from " + oldRegion + " to "                    + llGetRegionName()                     + " took " + (string)cross_time + "s");                oldRegion =  llGetRegionName();            }            sample = llGetUnixTime();            llSleep(0.1);        }    }}

A script in a mesh vehicle containing 306KB of scripts always took 2 seconds to cross between a pair of 'DRTSIM-184 Threaded', 'DRTSIM-184 Unthreaded', or 'Second Life Server' regions.  A more bloated mesh vehicle, with 1472KB of scripts, takes 4 seconds to cross between the regions.  The crossing time between 'DRTSIM-184 Unthreaded' and 'DRTSIM-184 Threaded' regions is a bit slower in both cases, but I believe this can be explained by the sim hosts being in different server colos.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.