Texture Flickering

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This problem is currently very common. I could fix it by turning off "Object-Object Occlusion". This option skips rendering objects that are hidden behind others. At the moment it seems to be broken, both with the official viewer and with the TPVs.

Assuming that you're using the official SL viewer, you can find this option in the following submenu:
> Develop > Rendering > Object-Object Occlusion

If no check mark is visible, then this option is turned off. If you don't see the Develop menu, press Ctrl+Alt+Q

Here's a snapshot of the menu tree:

>> Object-Object Occlusion

• Thanks 2

Ashy

This problem is ubiquitous, and is caused by the current "materials" code in the viewer (all viewers) on overlaid textures if the "Advanced Lighting Model" (what we used to call Shadows and light in our ignorance) and Object-object occlusion is activated.  I assume the reason that you tend to see it only at altitude is that the angle at which you are viewing these overlaid textures is critical to this issue.  I am guessing that certain lighting angles, courtesy of sun position also cause it.

I am given to understand that it is due to the decoder in the viewer not being able to understand overlaid textures if the textures (I assume the upper one) contains any alpha-channel information; (I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me).

I also assume (though I won't be holding my breath for it) that an update to the viewer code will fix this glitch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 4/26/2014 at 2:57 AM, Maddy Gynoid said:

This problem is currently very common. I could fix it by turning off "Object-Object Occlusion". This option skips rendering objects that are hidden behind others. At the moment it seems to be broken, both with the official viewer and with the TPVs.

Assuming that you're using the official SL viewer, you can find this option in the following submenu:
> Develop > Rendering > Object-Object Occlusion

If no check mark is visible, then this option is turned off. If you don't see the Develop menu, press Ctrl+Alt+Q

Here's a snapshot of the menu tree:

>> Object-Object Occlusion

Thank you so much. This has helped me greatly. There was so much flickering in my new sky box and the mesh didn't have that many polygons so I was confused. But that fixed it, so I appreciate it. I didn't have to really sacrifice any quality. Still on max setting.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.