Taking forever to load

AnthonyEU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

I've recently downloaded SecondLife and everything is just so laggy and takes ages to load that it is just impossible to really play (I've been in a zone for 5 minutes and only now has it fully loaded). but even then whenever I walk I keep hitting invisible walls... it just isn't running smoothly.

My PC is pretty new and top of the range, so I know it isn't my computer (my PC runs WoW on ultra graphics, SWTOR on Ultra etc etc). My internet connection isn't that great because of my area, but it runs everything else well (inlcuding stuff like IMVU and even There when it was still around).

Help? :( I've even tried turning all settings down to low...

We need a bit more information to provide good information. The best collection of info is in the viewer's Help->About...

I found the 3.2.6 and 7 viewers slow rendering.

The viewers also have some memory leaks that have been known about for a time. They are currently working on some of those now. But, the result can be a forced page faulting that slows the texture decompression process. In Vista and Win7 you can use the Performance Meter to see if your system running a high rate of page faults, which often indicates a need for more memory. SL uses around 1mb on my system. Others see it using up 2mb. 

The free program System Explorer gives what I think is an easier read of the information you need for seeing what is happening. Memory use, page faults, and CPU use are graphed. It makes it easy to see memory leaks and page faulting.

If you computer uses a graphics chip rather than a video card, it will use general RAM rather than dedicated video RAM. This can also slow texture render and increase the need to page fault.

The cache size will also affect performance. The new cache system allows for a larger cache and indexes the cache for a performance improvement. Prior to this change one often got better performance with a smaller cache, depending on lots of factors. Now you can decrease your dependance on bandwiidth by using a larger cache. If you have more than 1 physical drive, try putting the cache on a drive other than C:\.

I'm not sure where the setting might be in the Viewer you use, but I have found that my PC works a bit better with fewer concurrent HTTP GET requests allowed. That doesnt seem to slow down loading--there is maybe something happening server-side--but it does seem to improve things such as frame rate.

There are other viewers which seem less sluggish, but what works best on your system might be less successful on mine. 

• 3 months later...

I think one of the issues we do have is numerous, first is your own ISP connection. I live in the UK and seen my connecting rates go down significantly while we wait for fibre optic tech to be installed. As we are held to ransom by the slow transfer rate of copper cable, this also affects how far it has to get to the LL servers. If Linden Labs created ghost servers or at least servers in most of the main user countries, then the download rate of content would not be so bad. Its something Linden Labs should start seriously investigating. many other game companies have several servers in several countries, this is why these run 10 times more smoothly. LL as far as I know don't do this and if they did, would find many inworld issues improve a lot.

Also is the issue of sculpts mainly sims that use an amazing amount of high rez textures and scupted objects inworld. Mesh will eventually help this issue out, as the fps strain/ render cost algorithm on mesh vs sculpted items is a huge difference. If you take into consideration all that coming at you to load, plus avatars with well over 2k of scripted items on them (AOs, HUDS etc , many of which are badly scripted to begin with and cause so much lag inducing issues ) and again perhaps wearing a lot of render heavy scupted items...well its a lot to say the least no matter how much ram or the GPU you have.

My downloads on many sims are reasonable , but I know one or two places that use so many unrepeated texturing, a lot of sculpted creations - that my GPU just screams at me. And I know for a fact I am not the only one affected by the poor fps of that region. What i do is blacklist those sims and go about on the ones that are pretty decent without jerky frame rate issues. It won't solve everything, but it will allow you to enjoy SL a bit better than you have recently. Just keep the draw distance down to say 170m, have a big cache allowance in preferences and you should be good to go. Lets hope LL will take on the server points.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Karolanne Placebo said:

I just check my internet connection it seem i have faulty wire so i think you need a new cable :C

If your internet cable is broken, how are you connecting to the internet to tell us your internet is broken?

Also, Microbloat diagnostics are notoriously crap, since like all "knowledge base" systems they tend to throw up easy solutions first, that might not, in fact have ANYTHING to do with the problem at all.

Also, 6.5 year old thread, the OP has by now fixed the problem or left for good...

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

If your internet cable is broken, how are you connecting to the internet to tell us your internet is broken?

Also, Microbloat diagnostics are notoriously crap, since like all "knowledge base" systems they tend to throw up easy solutions first, that might not, in fact have ANYTHING to do with the problem at all.

Also, 6.5 year old thread, the OP has by now fixed the problem or left for good...

12 hours ago, Karolanne Placebo said:

I just check my internet connection it seem i have faulty wire so i think you need a new cable :C

The confusing part to me is that Karolanne Placebo has a faulty wire, so someone else ("you") needs a new cable.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, Karolanne Placebo said:

(above bolding mine) 

What the hell makes you think that you having a faulty wire means the OP needs a new cable?   Do you really think that ALL internet issues are the result of the same problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.