Server side baking

DesolateFreedom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have without a shadow of a doubt received more trouble with my avatar since this than anything LL had done in the past, making it the worst update since the avatar names that now look like AOL handles. But trying to ignore how seemingly useless this update was, can someone explain why I'm having so many problems with layering texture on my avatar, I.E. a skin and tattoo or even just PANTS. It doesn't particularly shock me that this turned a working product even worse, yet again. Makes me wonder what it could have been like if you followed through selling it to electronic arts, less terrible might be an accurate guess. Since their updates probably wouldn't make it somehow worse.

We might find it a bit easier to explain why you're"having so many problems" if you tell us what the problems actually are, what viewer you're using, what your computer specs are (with particular reference to the GPU) and where and under what circumstances you're having the problems (since SSA isn't active on the whole grid yet).

DesolateFreedom wrote:

I have without a shadow of a doubt received more trouble with my avatar since this than anything LL had done in the past, making it the worst update since the avatar names that now look like AOL handles. But trying to ignore how seemingly useless this update was,
can someone explain why I'm having so many problems with layering texture on my avatar
, I.E. a skin and tattoo or even just PANTS. It doesn't particularly shock me that this turned a working product even worse, yet again. Makes me wonder what it could have been like if you followed through selling it to electronic arts,
less terrible
might be an accurate guess. Since their updates probably wouldn't make it somehow worse.

Someone might be able to tell you why if you'd actually use your words to tell us what your problem IS rather than using at least as many to rant.

If you have a crappy router / connection / computer / wlan then SSA does not change much for you. You still have to download the world.

The difference with SSA is, others with a decent system will see you no longer grey or clouded since you can't disturb the baking process anymore. :D

Oh ... if you want just help try again and describe your problem. :)

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

I didn't see any questions in the OP's post. 

I'm having a terrible time getting skins and clothing to rez on my avi too, I switch from viewer to viewer and no improvement.  Its really aggrivating!  I get to the point of giving up putting an outfit together at times.  I never had a problem before this but its sooo laggy now.  I havent tried different areas but would have to find someplace I could dress!any suggestions of an area to try?  thanks!  Its extra frustrating as I am a clothes designer and it makes setting up the models take AGES!!!!  I have tried every rebaking trick in the book as well.  to no avail!  

Arielle Simondsen wrote:

I'm having a terrible time getting skins and clothing to rez on my avi too, I switch from viewer to viewer and no improvement.  Its really aggrivating!  I get to the point of giving up putting an outfit together at times.  I never had a problem before this but its sooo laggy now.  I havent tried different areas but would have to find someplace I could dress!any suggestions of an area to try?  thanks!  Its extra frustrating as I am a clothes designer and it makes setting up the models take AGES!!!!  I have tried every rebaking trick in the book as well.  to no avail!  

You're probably seeing a side-effect of the SSA changes that are mostly visible on NON-SSA regions. Before when you changed something on your avatar the viewer would make the change on your avatar which would be visible only to you, and then send the changes to the servers. After a while, the server would send the "official" version that everyone else sees. This is why your outfits kept going blurry and then (hopefully) sharpened after a while - that was the viewer changing from the local version to the one on the servers.

With SSA the process of getting things from the server on regions that use it is so much faster that the SSA-enabled viewers don't bother rendering the local version of your outfit unless you open the "Edit Appearance" panel. This way you always see what everyone else sees. However, this also means if you're on a non-SSA region you're seeing exactly how slow things always were for everyone else. As a work-around you can make your changes in "Edit Appearance" - they'll still show up instantly that way.

I`ve actually had the same issue, changing outit taking forever to rebake the skin ever since they rolled out the first ssb server
Along other issues i`m having with firestorm, i went back to the LL viewer with the latest updates, it`s all instant, rezzing is faster, objects don`t go wonkey at different angle/distances and in a crowd where firestorm would refuse to render all avatars and their mesh, the LL viewer kept rezzing (non ssb region)

Something else changed within the server/viewer code that tpv`s don`t have yet that slowly starts to rear it`s ugly head here and there...
I`m tempted to stay on the LL client, but without the ability to derender a dozen stupidly high detailed cars that eat half the fps, ugh...

I found it varies a lot, depending on latency (if the area I'm in rezzed slowly, then my avatar will rebake much slower as well), server lag (if one of the sims on the server is taking a lot of resources, then something else can be affected, like rebaking), and on whether I use http texture retrieval or not.

It's generally slower without, but my crashrate goes up a little when I use http, so I often turn it off when I do something that might strain my connection, like flying (constant sim crossings, constant downloading of new objects, models and textures). And that's just some of the things thataffect avatar baking.

For me, before SSB was introduced, rezzing of avatars had become very slow, especially in busy places, although the surrounding environment rezzed quickly.  Mesh avatar attachments took longest of all to rez, so I got used to 10 minutes of more of bald, naked people with large sections their bodies missing (alpha layer), dancing around in front of me!

Then server side baking was introduced and the difference was amazing - at first!  My outfits changed instantly, and if I went to a busy club, everything and everybody was fully rezzed in a few seconds.  But since then, performance has deteriorated to such an extent that rezzing is as slow as it was before SSB.  That seems a big mystery to me.  It can't be my computer or internet connection because SSB worked so well for a day two.  Has anyone else had the same experience?

I've found SSB to be super slow when it comes to my own avatar sometimes. It's pretty hit and miss. Sometimes, it works like a dream. Other times...not so much: My avatar refuses to bake. At all. Attachments pop up but clothing layers/tatts/skins etc don't change or rezz. I've cleared cache and, when I pop into appearance, they return then poof straight back off again when I exit the edit window. 

Sigh....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.