Server has corrupted my avatar

Robin23 Dagostino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can find no other explanation than that the SL server has probably corrupted my avatar. For more than a month now I have been unable to play SL.

I can login via the web and via the official SL browser but after login (with the viewe) my avi remains showing a green cloud forever asking to wait for the download but it never downloads my avatar. After a (long) while it logs me out.

What I do see is a lot of notifications in the viewer saying it could not FIND (not download) many (most, or all?) of my body parts and clothing!!! so it is not a matter of downloading but apparently it cannot find the parts that make up my avatar.

In the meantime I have reinstalled (after clearing cache and all data) the viewer, and the viewr has auto-updated itself many times during this period and yet the problem with my avi is still the same :(

I tried chanding "appearance" in the viewer thinking that might be a possibility but unfortunately the Appaerance option appears grayed out while my avi is  in the green cloud. I also tried the "Select Avatar" to select a stock avi to (temporarily) replace my avi but that does not do anything either.

I spent quite a lot of time configuring my avi which I used for some years now and I simply does not want to begin from scratch.

Robin23 Dagostino wrote:

I tried chanding "appearance" in the viewer thinking that might be a possibility but unfortunately the Appaerance option appears grayed out while my avi is  in the green cloud. I also tried the "Select Avatar" to select a stock avi to (temporarily) replace my avi but that does not do anything either.

When Pamela said to try a baldie, you can drag it to your avatar from inventory and drop it onto your nametag/fluffy cloud, you won't be able to do it via edit appearance.

It sounds a lot like an inventory cache corruption problem but you say you have reinstalled after clearing cache and all data.

Check again the instructions on this page http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231 and try that again.

When you log back in it will take some time for your inventory to load back up. How long depends on how many items you have in your inventory and your connection speed. It may help to tp to a low lag region such as Cyclops

If this doesn't fix the problem I suggest you try logging in with a different viewer such as Firestorm or Singularity.

If it still doesn't work it may be a connection problem. Go to speedtest.net and test your connection speed and let us know what it is.

No one has mentioned your Outfits...

First: When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection between the computer and gateway and/or between the gateway and ISP. T-Mobile and other ISP’s use a wireless system to connect to you.

Without information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

Now... if you make Outfits, have you arranged your outfits in the My Outfits folder? If so and you have any sub-folders in My Outfits, move all the sub-folders to the top level in My Outfits. Also MAKE SURE you have NO EMPTY folders in My Outfits.

The most common problem for this type of problem is your connection tot he SL Servers. Having a good Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. So, read through: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If it looks like the problem is on your ISP's side consider: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/08/18/512k-internet-slow-down/

An early trouble shooting step is to use another brand of viewer. If you use a third party viewer, try the SL Viewer. If your inventory is in fact messed up, you will have to use the SL Viewer to prepare a trouble ticket and describe the problem as it happens in the SL Viewer. Otherwise, the advice comes back from support at try the SL Viewer...

If you use Firestorm, try the SL Viewer. Then go back to FS and ask for help in the Firestorm Support group in world using the FS Viewer. They have great volunteers and a well organized support system.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a "Bake Fail". Generally, it is caused by one bad attachment or body part. Identifying and replacing the bad part with a different part can fix it (right click and Wear the replacement part from an inventory folder). The problem is identifying the bad part. Oddly, once you fix the baking problem, you can usually re-wear the bad part and it will then be fine.

See here for more suggestions: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.