Hitomi Tiponi
Topics: 9

Rollout of fix to prevent viewer tagging

[ Edited ]

I understand that this fix is planned to be rolled out to both the main grid and RCs this week.  Could I please ask that it is just rolled out to the RC channels this week so that any other systems that may be affected can be tested for a week before it hits the main grid?

Starlight - a brighter future for Viewer 3 and TPVs

Rival Destiny

Re: Rollout of fix to prevent viewer tagging

Reply to Hitomi Tiponi - view message

Charolotte Caxton

Reply to Rival Destiny - view message

Rival Destiny wrote:

I'm not famiiar with viewer tagging ... what is that?

tia

Rival

It is when your viewer tells you what viewer others are using.

Charolotte Caxton

Reply to Charolotte Caxton - view message

Rival Destiny

Thank you :smileyhappy:

So am I correct in my understanding that this will mean, that the viewer a user uses has now become private info unless permission by user is given?

Honored Resident
Flip Idlemind

The way I understand it, this change is not one that needs to be "rolled out." It doesn't require a new server version, the code for it already exists on all sims. It's more like a "switch", and all they have to do to put this into effect is flip it.

Charolotte Caxton

Reply to Rival Destiny - view message

Rival Destiny wrote:

Thank you :smileyhappy:

So am I correct in my understanding that this will mean, that the viewer a user uses has now become private info unless permission by user is given?

That is what it sounds like to me, but I actually have not read much else except for this:

2. j: You must not include any information regarding the computer system, software, or network connection of the user in any messages sent to other viewers, except when explicitly elected by the user of your viewer.

https://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php

Rival Destiny

Thanks...yes I believe network connection is synomous with ISP so makes sense that they would do this at some point.

Hitomi Tiponi
Topics: 9

At the TPV Developers Meeting it was stated that the required rollout to main grid and RC versions would take place this week - it actually appears to be the switching off of the texture files that announce what viewer a user is using.

Starlight - a brighter future for Viewer 3 and TPVs

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot

Reply to Flip Idlemind - view message

I just hope that they're correct about what switching off the function will do.

There's two things they talk about. This one, stopping sending a particular data-element from the server to viewers, might not need testing, but I'd want to hear that from Oskar or Maestro.

The other is a change to LSL, about reporting online status, and that is going to need proper testing. It has to be done right, and it has to be tested for effects on scripted objects. And there's no date been announced for that.

Past experience on LSL changes suggests that they're never going to be able to stop items using the old behaviour from being sold on the Marketplace or in-world.