Request to consider implementation of Flash Arrays

Balsac Pasternak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The bottleneck in SL is the internet, not the disks.

Hopefully the CDN changes being tested now will make a big improvement to people - especially people who are not in the USA.

Recent testing I was doing showed my assets were only 22ms away instead of 300ms. Additionally my entire ADSL link was used instead of only part of it - as happens when you share the connection with others in the sim.

Hardware:  Intel i7, 64 bit Win 7, 16 GB RAM, 78GB SSD
Connection:  Comcast 100+ Mbps
SL works well (certainly as compared to years ago); however to still have rez latency (granted moreso internet based), sporadic viewer crashes, and ongoing group & region limits suggests improvements remain. 

Specific to: 
"You are aiming that the cases you cite for improvement are bottlenecked by disk access and data transfer from disk"
..one wonders the reasoning behind 'ongoing group & region limits'? 

...and the graphics card?

("aiming" as supposed to be "assuming" but my phone auto correct felt it knew better :) )

My point remains, changing all the storage won't do a thing to people on slower connections and old hardware so the incentive for LL to spend in that order just doesn't exist when there are fundamental issues elsewhere and part of that "elsewhere" is user generated content inefficiency.

Balsac Pasternak wrote:

Hardware:  Intel i7, 64 bit Win 7, 16 GB RAM, 78GB SSD

Connection:  Comcast 100+ Mbps

SL works well (certainly as compared to years ago); however to still have rez latency (granted moreso internet based), sporadic viewer crashes, and ongoing group & region limits suggests improvements remain. 

Specific to: 

"
You are aiming that the cases you cite for improvement are bottlenecked by disk access and data transfer from disk
"

..one wonders the reasoning behind 'ongoing group & region limits'? 

When SL was originally created they decided to make the basic simulation unit that of pieces of land and avatars were just things on those pieces of land. Each region is one simulation and the more things (i.e. avatars) that are on it the more complicated the calculations are until you reach the limit of the ability of the CPU to calculate them. Disk access/data transfer improvements will do nothing to change this fundamental problem. Group issues also have to do with the "region" organization of SL because messages go to a region first and then to the avatars on that region and the system needs to keep track of who is where constantly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.