Obvious control(...) event behavior

Honza Noyes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day,
I was writing a script today, and I ran into a very obvious behavior, the following script looks like this:

float rof_time;
integer rof_count;

Fire()
{
    rof_count++;
    llSleep(0.1 * llGetRegionTimeDilation());
}

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llRequestPermissions(llGetOwner(), PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS);
    }

run_time_permissions(integer perm)
    {
        if(perm)
        {
            llTakeControls(CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON, TRUE, FALSE);
        }
    }

control(key id, integer level, integer edge)
    {
        if((level & edge) & CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON)
        {
            rof_time = llGetTime();
            rof_count = 0;
            Fire();
        }
        else if(level & CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON)
        {
            Fire();
        }
        else if((~level & CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON) && (edge & CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON))
        {
            llSay(0, "ROF:" + (string)(rof_count/(llGetTime() - rof_time)) + "BPS");
        }
    }
}

Now the following script after being dropped into an object and worn, holding CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON and than releasing it should say 'ROF:10BPS' which it does in a regular sim (homestead or full, doesn't matter at all), but in a little lag, it reuturns 'ROF:<10BPS'. Now here comes the thing, when you standing the returned ROF is lower than 10 in lag, but when you press CONTROL_FWD or any other button and start moving, than hold the CONTROL_ML_LBUTTON and than release it, the script returns 'ROF:10BPS' which is correct.

So here is the question, is this a bug or expected behavior since I am not taking control of CONTROL_FWD or other movement buttons, however they affect the script?

I reproduce it when i comment the llsleep .

But i guess it s a normal comporment .

Indeed , when you move , you generate control events with you button mouse pressed and your keyboard pressed 

When you don t move you generate less control events  with only your button mouse pressed

When you rotate the camera with the mouse , you will have something  , for instance with 38 BPS . 

And if you rotate the camera as fast as you can , you will have something  as 44-45 BPS

Maybe the viewer receives more events from your OS ( windows/Linux , mac)  , because it receives the events  from the OS for the the button pressed and for the moves of your mouse . And , so it sends more events to the server . And so the server replies more control events to the script 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTakeControls

If accept is TRUE and pass_on is FALSE, then the specified controls are disabled (but generate control events), and all other controls behave normally.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.