New old Crash

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would you guys please fix the "region is still logging you out crash".  I appeared in last weeks restart and is making a shambles of sl at the moment and discouraging people from even logging in, since it frequently accompanies logins.  This crash is a recurring problem they you have "fixed" many times now but keeps reappearing.  Ironically this time it appeared as a replacement to the crash you claim to have "fixed" two weeks ago, but is particularly insidious due to its association with the log in process which it frequently accompanies.  The way this crash works is you suddenly crash without warning when going to inventory, rebaking or doing some other action that reequires the participation of the core server, like logging in, and then when you return you get a "server" is logging you out message".  Given the frequency and annoying nature of this crash and its frequent association with login ins it would seem do be a priority issue.

I have a crappy computer and I have never experienced this. I don't know where you log in at or what kind of computer you have, but it sounds like a problem on your end not LL's. Just sayin'.

Edited to add: LL rarely if ever reads the forums, so posting this here is not going to help. 

While I find it hard to agree with anything that Lydia usually has to say, there is no doubt in my mind that it is taking a lot longer for servers to recognise that an account has disconnected before it removes an avatar from a sim.  It used to be a matter of a few seconds.  It can now be 30 seconds or even longer on normal intentional disconnects/logoffs.

This issue is markedly worse if you have a "bake-fail" login.  Now I have a good computer, a wired connection and a sensible-for-SL bandwidth, and a very reliable and fast ISP and modem.  Nevertheless this extended period of delay before a relog can be attempted is a problem.  Really, for me, it is a minor irritation, but for some it is a serious impediment to logging on and staying on SL.

There is certainly something in the server-side code that has worsened this issue, and I suspect that once the "Project Shining" fixes materialise, this issue will also be solved.  The only problem is that "Project Shining" seems to have stalled, and we may have a long wait in store before we see any significant and lasting improvement.

1. If I get logged out and try to log back in before the region logs me out, trying to log in gets me logged off by the region immediately. I can then retry the login and get back in.

2. It used to be that people would get ghosted for days on end and couldn't log back in. I haven't hear dof that happening recently.

3. Lydia seems to have an unending list of troubles with her SL and rarely responds to help attempts.

Cincia Singh wrote:

1. If I get logged out and try to log back in before the region logs me out, trying to log in gets me logged off by the region immediately. I can then retry the login and get back in.

2. It used to be that people would get ghosted for days on end and couldn't log back in. I haven't hear dof that happening recently.

3. Lydia seems to have an unending list of troubles with her SL and rarely responds to help attempts.

^^This^^

For  what it is worth these crashes seem to come in three flavors, one the "server is still logging you out" variety, two a crash where your cpu cache becomes so filled with junk and looped unsent procedures that you crash and have to restart your computer to clear the cpu, and a new and more insidious third variety that locks up your whole machine and forces you to shut down and restart it.  By the way this occurs in a variety of viewers, really became serious with the last restart, and is worst in sims with abnormally high allocated memory, though even when allocated memory is suppressed by a restart they continue but not as frequently.  LL will likely want to say this is coming from our connections or viewer, but I have checked after crashes and my connection is strong and the viewer is sending the request for action to the appropriate server, but in return we are getting crashes rather than the expected action.  Over the last week this has become increasingly a problem, and needs to be dealt with because if you look at the online number they are declining again after a brief increase when SL was running relatively well.  That this problem arose or became dramatically worse in the last restart is very clear, as is the fact that the chief crash "server is logging you out" began again when this code was first introduced two weeks ago and got much worse when it was added to the main servers.

A hardware update may indeed help some but then again LL has been very vague about what they intend and when they intend to do it and at the rate things are going players may have left sl in mass before the promised hardware salvation happens.  Right now these crashes and the massive lag that tends to go with them need to be addressed and the very last thing we need is more "improvement and innovations" to further add to the confusion and make the root of this problem even harder to track down.  I fully realize some of you may not like to hear this news but it is what is happening and it affects you as much a anyone, because as paying accounts leave sl, LL has less and less to work with and the promised hardware improvements become less likely.  Oskar you may think this is a rant, I am telling you what players are seeing and what they are dealing with.  The fact that most dont bother to complain more reflects their belief that LL will not listen or act on their problems than anything else and the continuation of this situation simple servers to reinforce that already strong perception.  My guess is if you look closely this problem will be found to relate to the stale sim problem which has be heavily documented and generally ignored and that together they may point to whatever it is that is playing havoc with stability in sl.  Like it or not this is a serious problem and someone needs to deal with it before it goes totally out of control.

@Cincia and Heart

My point was that the region's awareness of a disconnect/logout command seems much slower than it was. Much slower.  The point I was making was that slowness, not that I couldn't log in.  I am well aware of the limitations of potential ghosting and it may be that the slow server-response is due to such checks being made.

@Lydia

While I think some of the points you make are valid, I see many of your issues pointing to some serious hardware problems on your PC, not in SecondLife.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

@Cincia and Heart

My point was that the region's awareness of a disconnect/logout command seems much slower than it was. Much slower.  The point I was making was that slowness, not that I couldn't log in.  I am well aware of the limitations of potential ghosting and it may be that the slow server-response is due to such checks being made.

@Lydia

While I think some of the points you make are valid, I see many of your issues pointing to some serious hardware problems on your PC, not in SecondLife.

While I am NOT disagreeing with you, as I have heard others complain of the disconnect/logout command and I do agree that LL should do something about it, I personally haven't experience this and my computer BARELY makes the minimum requirements. lol

One thing you need to do is distinguish between a true crash & a forced logout.

"server is logging you out" is not a crash

"View IMs or Quit" is not a crash.

The first is, as has been pointed out, the server being made aware of your recent crash only at the point you attempt to relog.  This may be ocurring more frequesntly or taking longer to recognise the disconnect, but I don't know. I haven't crashed in so long it's not a period I frequently need to measure.

Suddenly & unexpectedly looking at the desktop instead of SL is a crash.

If you are actually crashing on touching inventory or rebaking, I would be tempted to try isolate that. Check for up to date graphics drivers first :-

NVidia - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx 

ATI - http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx 

Intel - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.