New SL Platform Q and A

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kelleyandsusan Kormann wrote:

You can be assured that somebody knows something, all I'm asking for is a little debate on the subject.  I'm not going to give up, been here 6+ years, just want to know where I stand.  Fair?  I think so.

There was a huge Q&A on another thread.. sort of.. We asked questions and Ebbe basically said, "We don't know yet." There's your answers in a nut shell. No one knows, not even LL.

You want to know where you stand? What SIM are you on? Look at the map and that will tell you.

I'll interject First

Will VR Oculus be part of the new platform

That's like asking if a new brand of ice cream will be compatible with a certain type of spoon. There's really nothing that special about the Oculus Rift - it's just a way of creating stereoscopic vision from data that already exists. Assuming the Lab doesn't make the new platform into Habbo Hotel, the data of the "world" will describe three dimensions, meaning that the Oculus Rift can display it in 3D but you don't need an Oculus Rift to use the data, exactly like Second Life is today.

What we can know about the new world is limited. A part of that problem as many of the questions we have litterally have no answer because the Lab has not yet made the dcisions that would provide an answer. For instance, what file format will be used for mesh uploading? Is it going to to be Collada, FBX, or something else? Ebbe says they are thinking about FBX but as  yet have not decided. So, we don't know which file format will be used and neither does the Lab.

I have a collection of answers Ebbe Linden has provided in this forum and other places. http://blog.nalates.net/2014/06/29/sl2-ebbe-altberg-update/

That is about as close as you'll get to 'knowing'. All the rest is speculation.

... all I'm asking for is a little debate on the subject.

Erm.. what is there to debate about the next generation platform? We know almost nothing about it so far. Only that it will be "better and more advanced in many ways", it will have the same L$ as in SL, we will get to keep the same avatar name in the new world as in SL. Some SL content possibly can be transferred to the new world, lots of content not.

End of discussion at this stage, I guess. :smileyindifferent: :matte-motes-yawn:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.