New JIRA system worthless.

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL replied to my JIRA saying that they can repo it.

Caleb Linden even posted his logs to confirm it.

Then he filed it "Accepted" and closed it as "Released". What does "Released" even mean in this case?

I can no longer post comments to it.

The issue remains.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I wish they'd say that.

Please don't hate me.  But it seems this is the only way we can let them know how worthless it may be.

http://lindensurvey.force.com/support/JIRASurvey

That we should need to think for  them amazes me at times.  They need to post in an obvious way what the different resolutions mean.

Somehow I doubt that. My jira BUG-101 was submitted 14th Sept. It was marked as Resolved; (Status Accepted; Resolution Released; Fix Version/s None) on 17th Sept. It is not fixed in the latest beta viewer (266708, Nov 7th). I'd love to invite you to look at it, but of course you can't. I have to agree with Gadget, that the jira is now essentially useless to anyone other the select few with privileged access. It doesn't even give worthwhile feedback to the submitter, let alone the rest of us. I don't see any point in contributing to it in future.

Hi Gadget,

"Accepted" means that the bug is confirmed.
"Released" means that ummmm ... the bug can roam freely in its own antfarm, lol. (It's nonsense)

As a source of information for residents, the jira has indeed become worthless.
Also, release notes will be more cryptic than ever, without link to what was wrong in the first place.

Oh well :)

On the new system, "Released" only means that the bug was copied into one of their internal projects and will be worked on. After that, it is a black hole.

The only way you will know that bug has been fixed is if server or viewer release notes have a line specific enough that you can tell it's your bug they are talking about (not likely, as most LL release notes are pretty vague), or the problem goes away.

Gadget, I'm guessing that your jira is BUG-669, the one about voice being disconnected at sim crossings. I'm pretty sure you can scroll toward the bottom of the jira form and find a tabbed area, which probably starts out defaulting to "Comments". If you choose the "History" tab, you can get a slightly better idea of what's happened to your jira report.  In this case, it went through triage and Caleb "imported" it to the Lindens' internal workflow as MAINT-1880.

Drongle, your BUG-101 was imported by Alexa on 17 September as MAINT-1567.

Two things. First, knowing this doesn't really do us any good. Once these get assigned MAINT numbers, it's a complete black box. If you discover more information that might be helpful to narrow the underlying cause of the bug, it's very unlikely it will be visible to the developer, who's working from a completely separate jira record. As Cerise points out, there's no easy way to tell whether a particular release is supposed to fix your bug, so you can't know to test it.

Second, as must be obvious, some residents have been allowed somewhat more visibility into the jira, including the ability to see and comment on other folks' BUG reports. I won't out anybody else, but I never signed any NDA with the Lab*, so I admit to it myself. But it's uncomfortable, our dirty little secret. I don't think a single one of us is happy with this arrangement and the way the jira functions now. Personally, as much as I want to help improve Second Life, it feels almost traitorous that, by doing so, I'm facilitating this folly.

____

* and never will. Sometimes I try to imagine that conversation with my lawyer. "A non-mutual NDA for a video game?!?  BWA-HA-HA-HA..."

Qie Niangao wrote:

Gadget, I'm guessing that your jira is
, the one about voice being disconnected at sim crossings. I'm pretty sure you can scroll toward the bottom of the jira form and find a tabbed area, which probably starts out defaulting to "Comments". If you choose the "History" tab, you can get a slightly better idea of what's happened to your jira report.  In this case, it went through triage and Caleb "imported" it to the Lindens' internal workflow as MAINT-1880.

Drongle, your BUG-101 was imported by Alexa on 17 September as 
MAINT-1567.

Two things. First, knowing this doesn't really do us any good. Once these get assigned MAINT numbers, it's a complete black box. If you discover more information that might be helpful to narrow the underlying cause of the bug, it's very unlikely it will be visible to the developer, who's working from a completely separate jira record. As Cerise points out, there's no easy way to tell whether a particular release is supposed to fix your bug, so you can't know to test it.

Second, as must be obvious, some residents have been allowed somewhat more visibility into the jira, including the ability to see and comment on other folks' BUG reports. I won't out anybody else, but I never signed any NDA with the Lab*, so I admit to it myself. But it's uncomfortable, our dirty little secret. I don't think a single one of us is happy with this arrangement and the way the jira functions now. Personally, as much as I want to help improve Second Life, it feels almost traitorous that, by doing so, I'm facilitating this folly.

____

* and never will. Sometimes I try to imagine that conversation with my lawyer. "A non-mutual NDA for a
video game
?!?  
BWA-HA-HA-HA
..."

"If you discover more information that might be helpful to narrow the underlying cause of the bug, it's very unlikely it will be visible to the developer, who's working from a completely separate jira record."

All I can think is if you have more info to file a new report and reference your original report.

I do have to say that it bugs the hell out of me now that I cant view my JIRA any more because there is a lot of technical info there (other people contributed) that I don't have a record of.  And I am still suffering from my problem.

I am glad that there are some residents who are being allowed to be involved.  I understand your sentiment about not wanting to feel like a traitor.  Some folks are caught between a rock and a hard place.  I'm thinking of TPV's here who want to provide good service.  They need to be in the loop.

Whether or not if all of you who are being allowed to view the JIRA's, if you all went on 'strike' would do anything to influence the situation is any ones guess but I'd consider it unlikely.

I agree with Perrie... this system is difficult for users. 

The only apparent way to provide additional information on a closed JIRA is to file another JIRA item. Referring to the previous one helps.

The only other alternative I've found is to email Alexa Linden and whoever was assigned or took on the bug. Most SL users are not going to know to do that. Also, unless the subect line of the email is something the Linden recognizes, it may be skipped. Since we can't see the MAINT numbers and the Lindens seem to forget the BUG numbers that creates a problem trying to make it a recognizable subject for the Lindens.

Another problem comes in the amount of time it takes a problem to move through QA, Beta, and into the final release. When marked fixed in the JIRA the fix is just starting through QA. It can take 2 or more weeks to make it from QA to release. Recently viewer and server updates have been delayed from various problems. Some fixes have been caught in the jam for 4 or more weeks.

I doubt we will hear much about how the new JIRA process is working for the Lab until early next year.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

I agree with Perrie... this system is difficult for users.

I doubt we will hear much about how the new JIRA process is working for the Lab until early next year.

The question is not how well it is working for the Lab.  The question is how well it is working for the Residents.

My bug remains unfixed.  However, next week I am doing some upgrades to my computer that will at least for me render my bug moot.

The only real problem I saw with the JIRA's was rants,  Those could have been dealt with simply with a warning like Oskar had posted

"This is not a forum thread for off-topic and unproductive ranting. I will no longer tolerate it. This forum thread is to discuss newly found issues in the Release Candidate channels. If you feel the need to have your opinions heard on topics unrelated to new bugs then please start your own thread. If an individual continues to post unproductive and off-topic comments I will take measures to remedy that."

A simple statement that "Rants Will Be Removed, This JIRA is for dealing with Technical issues,"  and then sticking to it.  Or as Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts Mam."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.