Keyframing now available on ADITI

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am passing this message on from Falcon Linden:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm happy to let you all know that llSetKeyframedAnimation (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetKeyframedAnimation) is now available on two adjacent regions on Aditi: "Sandbox - Bispinor" and "Sandbox - Weapons testing". The wiki page includes a couple very simple examples of how to use the new function, as well as the API documentation itself.

Testing/Reporting:

Because of severe time constraints on this project, no additional features will be added at this time. However, the API is constructed in such a way that it should be highly extensible in the future if additional features or minor fixes are required. Accordingly, any bug report filed that isn't a showstopper will likely not be addressed before roll-out. Any bugs that /are/ reported as showstoppers should meet one of the following criteria:
  1. Breakage of existing content
  2. Creation of a misfeature that will prevent future changes to the function (future changes will use additional options flags to opt in, so to satisfy this criterion, the bug probably has to relate to the parsing of the options list)
  3. Complete un-usability for the intend purpose (e.g., highly unpredictable behavior when used according to the spec).
Feature requests are welcome and should be clearly marked as such and flagged as low priority. 

If you encounter a behavior that isn't specified in the wiki docs but appears reasonable, please add it to the wiki rather than file a bug report. It is likely intended behavior I just didn't have an opportunity to document.

All issues should be reported under the the Scripting project at jira.secondlife.com

Finally:
Have fun. Build cool stuff!

smooth motion doors, smooth automated object movement without physics (the trains in Caledon and other places will probably benefit), scripted tour devices, etc....

it's essentially physics movement that ignores physical collisions (but still generates them in other physics objects)

Hey folks,

I just want to clear something up right away: this will work great for many of the examples described in posts above, but it works on root prims only. It is not a full animation system by any means. See the llSetKeyframedAnimation talk page on the wiki for more info. I am considering changing the name to llSetKeyframedMotion to reduce confusion.

Have fun!

Falcon

Falcon Linden wrote:

I just want to clear something up right away: this will work great for many of the examples described in posts above, but it works on
root prims only
. It is not a full animation system by any means. See the llSetKeyframedAnimation talk page on the wiki for more info. I am considering changing the name to llSetKeyframedMotion to reduce confusion.

Changing the name would be a good idea. Keyframes in animation mean something quite different, and have oft been requested by Second Life animators.

This movement path function looks interesting, albeit greatly limited. What exactly is the purpose though?  I already can, and do, achieve the same effect with a simple tweening function, and can target any prim I want, with no random increase in prim count.  I assume this function will be less laggy than a couple of dozen non-physical movements at 0.05s intervals?

Please please, pretty please do the rename... =)

@Cheshyre:

I would have to assume immensely less laggy than scripted tweening, along with using smoother gradient (as the viewer will receive vector motion and not just position updates). the function allows you to specify the keyframes, and the tweening, as it were, is being done by the region using non-collision physics (well not entirely non-colliding, I assume it still receives and generates them, it just doesn't react to them.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.