Just How long is this going to take?

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Scheduled Server Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on January 14th, 2015 at 02:54 pm PST

[Posted 2:54 PM PST, 14 January 2015] We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Thursday, January 15th at approximately 1:00 AM PST. During this time, some residents may experience login issues and residents in-world may be logged off or experience degraded performance. Additionally, during this time Group Chat may fail. Please refrain from rezzing no-copy objects and making L$ transactions during this maintenance. Please check back here for updates

Now,  I am not foolish enough to think that this work is unimportant, or can be done in a flash, but after a day and a half, is it STILL ongoing?

How long can Linden Lab realistically expect folk to "refrain from rezzing no-copy items"?  There comes a point when, assuming that the normal business of SecondLife is to continue, one simply has to rez something that is "no-copy".

Of course, the work may have been done and nobody has had the presence of mind to update the GSP.  It is not as if it has not happened before.

In order to maintain (or perhaps create) a culture of understanding and compliance, Linden Lab, it is necessary to behave in a credible manner before your users.  Isn't it?  Or am I hopelessly naive?

When I joined SL they shut down the grid every Wednesday morning to do maintenance and deploys.  Sometime if they had problems it was closed all day.  There were even a few times it was shut down more than one day.  So count yourself lucky that is not necessary anymore.  Back then we would have been thrilled to be let in world while maintenance was going on, even if it meant we could not do certain things.

LL is well aware of how their behind the scenes work effects residents and I am sure they work as fast as they can and update the Grid status as soon as they are done.  However you don't want them to rush just so you can rez something, because that's how mistakes are made which may result in a lot of Unscheduled Maintenance.

I don't see why you think they are generally acting in anything but a credible manner frankly.  Of course they can't warn you of unscheduled maintenance, but there is a public calendar and they post here in the forums when scheduled events are to take place and warn you of things that may cause you problems.  There are SL residents in world 24/7 so its not like there is a time SL is empty making it an ideal time to do this.  Also LL is made up of people that have RL families and obligations.  So scheduled maintenance should take place during their normal work times.

Alwin

It is You that should read more carefully.  The work was due to begin on Jan 15th at 1:00am SLT.  My comment was made some 36 hours later.  I don't consider 36 hours a "tight" schedule.

Amethyst

Linden Lab operate a 24/7 operation, but no, I don't expect the maintenance techs to work all hours God sends.  I DO expect the work to be either completed in a timely manner or some (any) update on work extending beyond a 24-hour period.  The work in question was "Scheduled" not emergency, so your assertion does not hold.

Oh, and I also remember the Wednesday shutdowns while they "banged on things"....we've moved on a bit from there I think.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.