Items disappearing from Inventory...

Amara Bandalora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone please explain to me how items just randomly disappear from our inventories?  I have had this happen more than once and I don't understand why.  Yes, I do go through and delete old items and duplicates of copy items, but how do entire folders of items ( including the folder itself ) just poof?  The latest disappearance just happned within the past week...we changed houses, I took back into inventory the items we had placed in the house.  Yesterday when I wanted to put out a chair which I had set out in the old house, I cannot find the original folder or any copy of it.  I have searched by object name, creator etc. and nothing ( not even a copy shows up in bundles that I know had a chair attatched to it, I've rezzed the bundles out ).  This was a copy item and I am sure I can have it redelivered if I can remember when it was purchased, but that's not the point.  If anyone can explain why this happens I would sure love to hear why.

Your inventory is maintained on a Linden server and it is very unusual ( but not unknown) that items are lost. However a copy of some/all of the files are stored locally (on your computer) in your inventory cache so that they load more quickly when you log in.

If this data is corrupted, perhaps by a viewer crash or a connection outage, it doesn't load and all you know about it is that you can't find your stuff. This is quite common.

So what you can do is clear your local cache from Preferences/Network & Cache. Then when you log back in the cache will be rebuilt from the server.

This may take some time. If you do some searches in the inventory it may encourage the process.

Thanks for the reply Ohjiro, I knew about clearing the inventory cache but as of yet that hasn't worked for me.  I have not recovered items that were lost back in January and I have given up hope on ever seeing them again.  There has got to be a better way besides clearing cache and hoping the objects show back up.

I did try this today - I cleared cache, logged into the SecondLife Beta grid, let my inventory fully load and the object I am missing showed up in my inventory, multiple copies of it, along with over 2,000 items more than I have on the SecondLife grid.  I logged out of the beta, logged back into the regular grid and that chair is not in my inventory and my inventory amount is 2K less than what's showing on the beta grid. 

So this tells me the item I am missing is not really gone, it's still on the server, but why is it not showing on the regular grid and could those other 2K worth of items be the things that went missing back in January?  And how do I get them back into my regular inventory?  I am not a Premium member anymore and I cannot find any way to contact LL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.