I can't use local chat on my land

Jazmine Larkham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Local chat (incl emotes, shout , and nearby) doesn't work for me on my land (or in same region). No one sees my chats nor are they logged on computer cache. Others can use local chat, including my ALT for testing. I have no issues in other regions. The problem persists with different viewers and different computers.

Is it possible for there to be an object in the region that mutes me?

Jazmine Larkham wrote:

Is it possible for there to be an object in the region that mutes me?

Yes.

Disable RLV, RestrainedLove or RLVa in your Viewer Preferences (Ctrl+P), relog, and try again.

You've probably left a poorly-scripted object rezzed on your land, e.g. a gag. Attachments with RLV may affect your SL experience while they're rezzed (on the ground) and you're the owner of them - unconditionally.

You can maybe find out which object it is by checking your Restrictions list (with RLV enabled).

I finally found out the issue (sort of). Thanks Freya for getting me looking in the right direction. I don't normally use RLV, but I installed Firestorm to test some furniture a while back. Although RLV was disabled, apparently I was still wearing the BRIDGE (still not really sure what it was doing) even if I switched to SL viewer. Took off the BRIDGE. All is well. Restarted Firestorm, and new BRIDGE works fine.

I seriously doubt that simply removing/re-creating the Firestorm bridge would have such an effect, it may have been a setting on the RLVa operating in connection with the furniture, but otherwise it may simply have been a glitch in your connection with SL as you logged in that was causing issues.

I have to say that in three years of using Phoenix and Firestorm viewers I have not had such a problem, and I take issue with people who promulgate distrust in that viewer.  The bridge and its LSL script would have no function in any other viewer.

As with so many transient issues in SL, a relog can seem to have miraculous effects!

Yeah, the explanation makes little sense to me. OP reports RLV was disabled on their affected (non-FS) viewer, so presumably this wasn't an RLV effect at all. I can't imagine the bridge would be required for local chat usage, and yeah it wouldn't have affected non-FS viewers.

It's a mystery.

My issues with FS aren't relevant, I added them to my opening post as background. Use whichever viewer gives you the happy fuzzies, YMMV, etc.

(Just so long as the source matches the binary.)

Ayesha Askham wrote:

I seriously doubt that simply removing/re-creating the Firestorm bridge would have such an effect, it may have been a setting on the RLVa operating in connection with the furniture, but otherwise it may simply have been a glitch in your connection with SL as you logged in that was causing issues.

I have to say that in three years of using Phoenix and Firestorm viewers I have not had such a problem, and I take issue with people who promulgate distrust in that viewer.  The bridge and its LSL script would have no function in any other viewer.

As with so many transient issues in SL, a relog can seem to have miraculous effects!

If you have the Phoenix/Firestorm bridge attached, ever, it will stay attached until you consciously removie it, and the scripts will run. If you're wearing it while using another viewer it will run just long enough to check to see if you're using  Firestorm - if you are it will perform its characteristic functions and if you aren't, it SHOULD go to sleep for the rest of that session. It's been known to glitch though.  The Firestorm JIRA has quite a few reports of the bridge causing issues that even the developers don't expect it to that are fixed by recreating it.

It could have been the bridge, or any Scripted object, and *not* related to RLV. The servers have anti-spam meausres built in, if you own any object that spams messages, even on non-public channels such as the Debug channel, it will mute you until the object is removed from the sim. That's likely what happened here. Read up on chat throttling here:

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/scripting/75502-aware-ll-has-implemented-chat.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.