House phantom on 1 sim, not another

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After extensive testing I discovered that one of my mesh houses is part phantom on my customers sim, but not on any of mine.  I dont think I have encountered this particuar bug before. I told her a sim restart was in order but she has not had that done yet. I ended up making physics floor prims and laying those down, but not linking them.

Does anyone know anything about this issue?

I think that link to the Sim Console page shows how one is supposed to be able to open the console and type queries into it, but trying it now, I can't seem to get the keypress to register -- undoubtedly the first time I've tried on this machine. Anyway, here's a little script that should say "enabled" if Pathfinding is turned on for a sim:

default{    state_entry()    {        llOwnerSay((string)llGetEnv("dynamic_pathfinding"));    }}

The sim Statistics bar (Control-Shift-1) also has a section on Pathfinding, but I'm not sure how that would look on a Pathfinding-disabled sim.

thank you -- I tried it and it said my sims are Pathfinding enabled, although I never set them that way.

I was told in Singularity group that Pathfinding is on by default.  They gave me instructions on bringing up some sim console where I can type in commands to turn it off but I could not get the console to display. 

Someone suggested maybe there was some sim surround type thing around/on her land, which could possibly make the house part mesh.  I did not see anything but then I was not looking.

Is there any reason for me to have or not have Pathfinding on?

Pamela Galli wrote:

Not really. If you have Pathfinding characters running around, of course, then you need it enabled. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd probably leave it enabled anyway, just because it's the default and so most of the grid is set that way. And I really have no justification for suggesting your cutomer's troubles could be related to Pathfinding at all -- not even a hunch, really -- so I'm sorry I sent you down that rabbit-hole.

On the other hand, I don't have any better ideas either. It's an interesting puzzle, and it will be fun to know what really fixes it.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Not really. If you have Pathfinding characters running around, of course, then you need it enabled. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd probably leave it enabled anyway, just because it's the default and so most of the grid is set that way. And I really have no justification for suggesting your cutomer's troubles could be related to Pathfinding at all -- not even a hunch, really -- so I'm sorry I sent you down that rabbit-hole.

On the other hand, I don't have any better ideas either. It's an interesting puzzle, and it will be fun to know what really fixes it.

No sometimes rabbit holes are the only option, so it is good to suggest them. You never know. So far it has only been this one customer with the problem but I just dread having things not work right for someone and not be able to fix them -- altho in this case the customer was happy with my workaround.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I will bump this every now and then in hopes someone might have some idea.  I cant stand mysteries like this!

A question not asked was if this SIM is Main Channel or Release Candidate.

If it's on a different channel then a JIRA may be in order.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

I will bump this every now and then in hopes someone might have some idea.  I cant stand mysteries like this!

Thanks Perrie, that is a good question! I will ask the customer about hers. My sims are Magnum.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Thanks Perrie, that is a good question! I will ask the customer about hers. My sims are Magnum.

SIMs????  Plural????

I don't know how much code that gets tested doesn't get bumped to Main Channel (Agni).  But if I was making / testing things to sell I would want to be on Main Channel, not a test channel.

My understanding is that you can request that a SIM be moved to Main Channel.  If these are Estate, the Estate owner can request it.

I know they need to test things before rolling them out Grid Wide but I prefer not to be a guinea pig.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

SIMs????  Plural????

I don't know how much code that gets tested doesn't get bumped to Main Channel (Agni).  But if I was making / testing things to sell I would want to be on Main Channel, not a test channel.

My understanding is that you can request that a SIM be moved to Main Channel.  If these are Estate, the Estate owner can request it.

I know they need to test things before rolling them out Grid Wide but I prefer not to be a guinea pig.

The reason they are Magnum is that a couple months ago I began getting reports that people would buy an object -- not from a vendor, but just buy an unscripted object directly -- and not receive anything.  And it was some reliable customers reporting this.  The usual relog advice did not work. Restarting sims did not work. Filed a JIRA, of course they could not reproduce. Finally they said they would move my sims to Magnum, and since then I have not had a single report like this.

Re the house in question, this is the only report of the house going (partly) phantom. I tried rezzing my box on my sims, it was fine, rezzed the same box on her sim, phantom.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

SIMs????  Plural????

The reason they are Magnum is that a couple months ago I began getting reports that people would buy an object -- not from a vendor, but just buy an unscripted object directly -- and not receive anything.  And it was some reliable customers reporting this.  The usual relog advice did not work. Restarting sims did not work. Filed a JIRA, of course they could not reproduce. Finally they said they would move my sims to Magnum, and since then I have not had a single report like this.

Re the house in question, this is the only report of the house going (partly) phantom. I tried rezzing my box on my sims, it was fine, rezzed the same box on her sim, phantom.

Wild. 

And strange too.

I was on a LeTigre SIM that kept having trouble and was changed to (moved to?) Agni.

Which could be an interesting question.  Do they change the Server you are on to a different Channel or do they move you to a different Server? 

Whichever, it is a good thing to keep in mind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.