High ping

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know SL servers are in the US, but are there also servers in Asia? I'm in Asia and I have 300+ ping, making SL nearly unplayable, and 90% of tp's end up in a crash due to lagging out. I'm pretty sure there are lots of creators in China/Japan/Korea, do they all have this level of ping?

Suki

No, the SL servers are all in the USA, at Phoenix (though it is sometimes referred to as Tucson) Arizona.  There used to be (years ago now) servers in the UK, when Linden Lab also had an office there, but no longer.

There have never been servers in Asia, despite, as you say, the enormous number of active accounts in Japan and across the Asian continents.

High ping to SL is a fact of life for most accounts in that region, which makes certain aspects of SL unplayable.

The Content Distribution Network recently inttroduced by Linden Lab will have no material bearing on your ping, but a problem with any one of the servers between you and Phoenix can have a drastic effect on your ping.  This is external to SL and LL can and will do nothing about it. :smileyfrustrated:

Ohjiro

It was my understanding that the introduction of the CDN might well speed up the delivery of textures to the user, but I was given to understand that avatar movement (crucial in combat and sport playing) would not be significantly improved since those still rely on interaction on the LL server system.  I'd like to think I am wrong!

It is true that CDN is delivering content, textures and mesh and not the messages about avatar movement. This does have the side effect of reducing the demand on the sim server which on paper would free up the resources used for moving around and for viewing others movement.

I think I am right in saying that avatar movement is depends on messages sent over UDP which is throttled by the viewer bandwidth settings. So, if you are still having a problem in this department try tweaking up your bandwidth. Don't over do it. 1500 for a good quality wired connection and 500 for wireless should be your guideline max settings but of course you can play around with it.

Before CDN textures and mesh were delivered to your viewer via the sim you were on, not so now, so frees up the sim resources to do other things. I`ve spoke to the general manager of a very busy club that has 60+ av`s there day in day out and they say it`s noticably less laggy nowadays. Personally I tend to agree.

LL have put up a graph detailing one example of sim load before and after CDN;

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/CDN-Unleashed/ba-p/2854932

The internet being what it is though means not everyday is going to be the same as the next, there`s just too many variables.

Singularity viewer has a nice diagnostic tool to show what http traffic is doing and which LL server it`s coming from (bake, CDN or sim) It`s the "http console" in the advanced menu, have seen the bandwidth monitor on that hit 9000kbs for CDN traffic.

Sara and others

You are all missing my point.  I am not contesting that use of the CDN has reduced general lag (rendering lag at least) and there is some evidence that sims are more able to send information to the viewer in a "timely manner".

However, the simple physical interaction between user and sim involved in movement is unaltered by all of this, and it is that issue which remain unchanged and as far as I see will always remain so..it is a simple matter of physiccs.

Now none of my comments were intended to convey any antagonism or negativity towards Linden Lab - the CDN and http pipeline are good advances and are to be applauded.  There are some matters that they simply cannot improve and a user's geographic location, irrespective of CDN server location will always have a bearing on avatar movement and resposnse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.