File arrows not showing and nothing in my folders

Dondy Carling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let me try to explain this. I had Firestorm viewer and this happen When I try to change clothes I look in my inventory and I see all my folders that cantain like skirts paints and everything to wear I can;t open them, nothing there. So I try a dtfferent viewer and then they show up everything where it should be. About two week that worked then it happen again.

Then I try Second life viewer and it works again doing that now. I have looked all over the place for answers but no one seems to know anything. My friend says that all the files are stored on the severs, So every time it happens I change viewers but after awhile I will run out viewers if this keeps happening then what will I do, I guess just stop doing SL.But if this happens to every one on SL no one will stay here.

I clicked this to email me when some one replies so am waiting to see if some one has an answer for me. I really need help with this it could happen to you too. We need to find some ansers to this problem. I seen on the SL blog that there was two other people that had same problem.

A cache clear will very likely fix your missing inventory.

On the Linden viewer, Me> Preferences -> Advanced -> Clear Cache

On Firestorm, Avatar -> Preferences -> Network & Cache -> Clear cache.

Then relog to a quiet region & stay there until your inventory has fully fetched.

If that doesn't help then see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_loss for the Linden viewer & http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory for Firestorm.

Dondy Carling wrote:

Let me try to explain this. I had Firestorm viewer and this happen When I try to change clothes I look in my inventory and I see all my folders that cantain like skirts paints and everything to wear I can;t open them, nothing there. So I try a dtfferent viewer and then they show up everything where it should be. About two week that worked then it happen again.

Then I try Second life viewer and it works again doing that now. I have looked all over the place for answers but no one seems to know anything. My friend says that all the files are stored on the severs, So every time it happens I change viewers but after awhile I will run out viewers if this keeps happening then what will I do, I guess just stop doing SL.But if this happens to every one on SL no one will stay here.

This is such a common problem with common solutions that I'm surprised you haven't at least heard of it before. The file on your computer that has a snapshot of your inventory is out-of-sync with the actual inventory on the servers and needs to be rebuilt:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

Also, in Firestorm it may help to recreate the "bridge" - it is a Firestorm/Phoenix only scripted add-on that can sometimes cause issues if it gets corrupted.  To fix this:

"Avatar" menu --> "Avatar Health" --> "Recreate LSL Bridge."

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Also, in Firestorm it may help to recreate the "bridge" - it is a Firestorm/Phoenix only scripted add-on that can sometimes cause issues if it gets corrupted.  To fix this:

Theresa, if you have seen any cases where the Firestorm bridge appeared to cause inventory loading issues, can you point me to them? This shouldn't happen & I'd be interested to see them. It is not a known problem to the Firestorm team.

She had inventory loading fail on the Linden viewer too after using it for a while - if you are wearing the bridge while on another viewer, it will drop off after the first teleport (it is scripted to drop off on region change if the user isnt on Firestorm) and while on any other viewer it just behaves like any other worn scripted attachment, there is nothing magical about the bridge attachment.

First let me think every one for helping me. I did the clear cache thing and went to that under water place almost drowned but it worked. Before I only showed like 11,800 items in my inventory, it was loading so was holding my breath to see if it went past that and it did all the way up to 24,000. so worked out great and got all my folders fixed. This is so great thanks every one again for your help.

Whirly you were right only the clear cache did.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Theresa, if you have seen any cases where the Firestorm bridge appeared to cause inventory loading issues, can you point me to them? This shouldn't happen & I'd be interested to see them. It is not a known problem to the Firestorm team.

She had inventory loading fail on the Linden viewer too after using it for a while - if you are wearing the bridge while on another viewer, it will drop off after the first teleport (it is scripted to drop off on region change if the user isnt on Firestorm) and while on any other viewer it just behaves like any other worn scripted attachment, there is nothing magical about the bridge attachment.

It turned up a couple of times back when Firestorm 4.4 was released, according to Lette's blog:

http://letteponnier.blogspot.com/2013/05/fasqmay1.html

• 5 years later...
6 hours ago, aquarius27 said:

my issue is similar  however i get the files  i dont get the arrows but it says 13/0 in that file etc   and now i even got the arrows and i cant open the file in there 

Clear inventory cache, log out, reset your modem and log back into someplace with no lag.  I use Tromp.  Open inventory and wait for it to load completely.

• 1 month later...

There is a great mystique surrounding the SL viewer Cache.  It is, as Whirly says in one of the above posts, a "snapshot" of the assets that are linked to your account on SL servers.  Occasionally the snapshot file corresponding to your inventory gets corrupted, more often than not due to a corrupted or incomplete process on your computer.

Clearing that folder/file and relogging results in that asset list being downloaded again to your computer.  It is wise, especially if your computer is not powerful or your link to SL via the internet is not strong, to sit still in a non-laggy area while the files download (your Cache "repopulates").  Once complete all "should" be well.  It's not rocket science!

If that file containing all the assets of your inventory does NOT fully repopulate, you can get what is called "Inventory loss".  If that happens on one viewer (say Firestorm) it can be useful to download and log in with another (say the LL default viewer).  If your inventory fully downloads on THAT viewer, there are a number of strategies to correct the corresponding folder in your chosen preferred viewer (Firestorm or another viewer) and that is listed in the Firestorm wiki http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory .

While the process can seem intimidating to the digitally challenged (like me) it does work...I have personal experience of it!

Clearing cache is not something to be done frequently but it is also not something to be feared and "can" be a useful solution to texture corruption issues, as I have found in the past.

Edited by Aishagain
grammar correction
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.