Deploys for the weeks of 2012-11-12, 2012-11-19

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

It's that time of the week.

Deploys for the week of 2012-11-12

Second Life Server (main channel)
The main channel is getting the maint-server project that was previously on Magnum.

Scheduled Tuesday 2012-11-13 05:00-11:00 PST

Release notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12#12.11.02.266530 

Second Life RC BlueSteel

BlueSteel will remain on the same project that it and LeTigre were on last week.  The only change is that we fixed a crash mode that was discovered last week.

Scheduled Wednesday 2012-11-14 07:00-11:00 PST

Release notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12#12.11.09.266804

Second Life RC LeTigre

LeTigre is getting the same update as BlueSteel.

Release notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12#12.11.09.266804

Second Life RC Magnum

Magnum is getting the same version as BlueSteel and LeTigre.

Release notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum#12.11.09.266804

Deploys for the week of 2012-11-19

Due to Thanksgiving holiday on November 22, no rolling restarts are scheduled for this week.

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Hopefully, the crash bugs are indeed fixed, for during yesterdays leadup to today's restart they made several normally stable blue steel servers all but unplayable.  Also normal logins and ports to these servers failed more ofthen than not.  Hopefully, if this does not fix the problems, the period after Thanksgiving will be used to fix crashes, the allocation of memory problem and the lag that it crippling so much of SL, rather then simply confusing the matter with more layers of semi-tested problems.

Hi Oskar,

I've noticed over the last month an increase in the number of scripts that become corrupted and unusable. Various people have come to me with script issues in an object yet someone else that has an identical object has none. One noted symptom is the scripts cannot be recompiled as the viewer (non viewer specific)compile feature does not see any scripts in the object. Also it's not dependent on if the person is from the Main server or an RC channel.

Replacing the code in the script and saving doesn't fix the issue either. At first the cure was to remove the script and replacing it with a fresh one from inventory however I'm starting to see where that no longer helps in some cases. Please note that these scripts have functioned fine for a long time, sometimes years, with no issues.

As this is account specific filing a JIRA would result in the problem not being able to be duplicated by LL. I've ran into this before in other non-second life programs I've wrote where a database had started to degrade and in time became totally corrupted. Could this be happening here? Any pointers on how I can assist my customers would be extremely helpful.

Please let me know if you need more information and I'll try my best to supply it.

Thanks!

MB

MB Robonaught wrote:

Hi Oskar,

I've noticed over the last month an increase in the number of scripts that become corrupted and unusable. Various people have come to me with script issues in an object yet someone else that has an identical object has none. One noted symptom is the scripts cannot be recompiled as the viewer (non viewer specific)compile feature does not see any scripts in the object. Also it's not dependent on if the person is from the Main server or an RC channel.

Replacing the code in the script and saving doesn't fix the issue either. At first the cure was to remove the script and replacing it with a fresh one from inventory however I'm starting to see where that no longer helps in some cases. Please note that these scripts have functioned fine for a long time, sometimes years, with no issues.

As this is account specific filing a JIRA would result in the problem not being able to be duplicated by LL. I've ran into this before in other non-second life programs I've wrote where a database had started to degrade and in time became totally corrupted. Could this be happening here? Any pointers on how I can assist my customers would be extremely helpful.

Please let me know if you need more information and I'll try my best to supply it.

Thanks!

MB

THIS!

I was just about to ask about  this in the scripting Forum, if there was a known change to scripts.

The main error I am seeing is with animated furniture.  Upon standing, I am seeing, "could not find agent to stop animation."

A few objects I own, the ability to reset the scripts is 'greyed out.'

The "could not find agent to stop animation" thing is a relatively common script bug (especially in linked poseballs) but would warrant attention if you're seeing it repeatably in objects that behaved correctly before under the same conditions.

About the items that aren't allowing script reset, just to be sure: they have mod permission, right?

Qie Niangao wrote:

The "could not find agent to stop animation" thing is a relatively common script bug (especially in linked poseballs) but would warrant attention if you're seeing it repeatably in objects that behaved correctly before under the same conditions.

About the items that aren't allowing script reset, just to be sure: they have mod permission, right?

I will have to double check the perms next time I try to reset.

It has only been recently I started having this error and a few others.  But yes it has started occurring repeatedly in previously error free items.

MB Robonaught wrote:

Hi Oskar,

Thanks!

MB

Hello MB,

About 5 weeks ago i had a comparable experience. One of my customers complained about a product she bought that was not working. It did not react to menu commands. I gave the customer a new product and asked her to return the faulty one. The new one worked fine for her and the faulty one did not work for me either. Resetting the scripts or recompiling from the tools menu did not help. Opening the scripts was due to the ownertransfer not possible anymore. After reading your message i removed the scripts from the product and added them again. After re-adding the same scripts the product worked again. Further information: It was an old product, the scripts were compiled in LSL mode.

The problem is not reproducable for me.

Greetings, Chriss.

I have had a foew oddities as well with scripts ...hard to describe exactly but for example - when selcting a script in an object the edit page opens with titel NEW SCRIPT and remains blank; or it is Loading ... for ever,   I have put this down to asste server issues (if thats where scritps are ultimately stored).   Not the most critical issue for me atm as the project Im working on has strong backups etc so its easy to "replace" the offending script(s) in the object.   That may not always be true though LOL.

This topic probably belongs in another thread - could someone redirect it (and thus I may see more info).

Qie Niangao wrote:

Getting back to this.  Yes it continues to repeat itself in objects that were previously working correctly.  And it is several items I own.  A few are NO MOD so yes, I can't reset the scripts.  It's kind of dumb that you can't do that in NO MOd items but I guess there are technical reasons for this.  I've also encountered a couple of times the first thing I had to do after rezzing an item was reset the scripts in order to kick start it.  Whether it is of relevance, I live on a main channel SIM.

You can reset scripts that are no mod.  BUT, you can't reset scripts that are *inside* no mod objects.

As for Things corrupting, I haven't see that.  But I do know the "Recompile" feature on viewers doesn't work as it used to, since compiling was moved server side. I think it only works when a script is full perms.

I have also, over the last month or 2 been seeing strange script behaviour. I'm a scripter / builder that builds fighting sail ships. 

A few times i've had to completly delete a script from an object and drop a totally fresh copy because it either fails to display the script when you edit it or won't compile. 

Also, After region crossings, i've had several people reporting problems with the ships generating an animation permissions error despite there being a call to llGetPermissions() immediatly before every llStartAnimation command and llStopAnimation command.. It's not consistant, and only a few people have been affected, and that's despite the script skipping all animation supdates for 3 seconds after a region crossing.

I haven't been able to re-create any of the slightly odd script behaviour consistantly so i feel filing a JIRA would be useless as it would get closed with an unable to re-create message, but i definatly feel something is going on. Hopefully with enough people talking togeather about it we'll be able to pin down what's happening, whether it's a strange server / asset server problem or an LSL bug somewhere, or even our scripting that's at fault!

Amber

Twice today(Sat 17th) while working (terraforming, taking up prims) on two of my neighboring homesteads ..South Farthing & Eryn Vorn ... both regions would alternate appearing, disappearing...then  I'd crash.  When I relogged and came back in, the sim hadhad rolled back..with prims in place and terraform reversed.  This happened twice withing 30 minutes.The navmesh was rebaked each time after terrarforming.  Since  the rollover on Tuesday, I've notice all 11 sims in my island estate appearing/reappearing ....since the rollover of 11/6... but never the problem of crashing/auto rollback upon returning until  11/13.  Hope this info helps for the next rollover of the SL servers..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.