Deploys for the week of 2014-11-24

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the maintenance project which have been running on BlueSteel, LeTigre and Magnum last week. Minor server change to help configure the texture and mesh CDN

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/14#14.11.07.296624

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-11-25 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel:

No deploys are scheduled for the RC BlueSteel channel this week.

Second Life RC LeTigre:

No deploys are scheduled for the RC LeTigre channel this week.

Second Life RC Magnum:

No deploys are scheduled for the RC Magnum channel this week.

If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira.

OK Caleb

Now this is getting silly, not only has the GSP not reported that the rolling restart on Main Server is under way (which it IS 'cos my region just went down), there is no mention of them at ALL on the GSP!  Yes, it's on the Google calendar but that has never been trustworthy.

Do things of course, but FFS let us know!!:smileymad:

I have noticed a log-running pattern of these deploys starting early morning, and the start being reported in Grid Status around 4 hours later.

It is a bit careless.

My personal speculation is that very few accounts have the rights needed to post status messages, which is usually a good thing, but nonody on the team that carries out the deploys is trusted to post a status message. So it all has to wait until somebody arrives in the office.

It all seems a bit thoughtless If you can't set up a shell script that somebody such as Caleb Linden is allowed to run (you trust him to talk to customers and switch servers off), things start looking bad. This weekly deployment of new server code happens often enough that a script could be worth the effort.  (I'm assuming Unix-like account security is used, not Windows.)

There are incidentally all sorts of reasons why Linden Lab needs to pay attention to account security. They're handling stuff such as payment details, and also Personal Data under EU law and sundry agreements between the US Government and the EU.

[...] not only has the GSP not reported that the rolling restart on Main Server is under way (which it IS 'cos my region just went down), there is no mention of them at ALL on the GSP!

Better forget the GSP, Ayesha, it can't be trusted. So when things go wrong just open a support case or — even better — get on live chat support and have a rep explaining what is going on. I'm really fed up with the GSP.

P.S. — Now, since the maintenances have been finished (supposedly — we never know, right?) teleports are a mess... From failed to grant capabilities error messages, to taking  a long time and ending up being logged off, we've been experiencing a bit of everything (I wrote "we" because I'm not the only one having trouble.)

No, it's not over with Yet...we have another dose during the European morning today (Wednesday) so maybe they still have network issues to de-kink.

The "Now You see it....Now You don't" character of GSP posts is really irritating and suggests that they have not even got the basics of webposting right.  Oh and for the smart-alecs I did clear my browser cache just to be sure! And I used both IE11 AND Firefox.

I give up! :smileyindifferent:

• Lindens

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am just going by my internal emails from the engineering team members, which contain the rolling plans that we are moving forward with. I have no access to the GSP.

To summarize the issue:

* GSP is lagging or not in sync with my rolling announcements on this forum.

Wolf, I suspect that what Caleb means is that he has Read-Only access to the GSP, and that he cannot correct the crass errors on it.

It is a classic example of how NOT to do remote working.  In this case the Linden left hand really does not know what the Linden right-hand is doing unless they email their intent, and since some of the team on the GSP do not even bother to check their copy before posting it, that is likely to continue.  It's not good, but it IS par for this course!

Caleb Linden wrote:

Yes, Ayesha.

My access is read only as well. But it is certainly a disconnect that I would like to see resolved as well.

The whole issue of reporting Grid Status is poorly done.  Unless you go out of your way to check on it we are generally left in the dark. 

At least when I launch Firestorm there is an applet that shows me the current information from Grid Status.  Why it isn't implemeted in the Official Viewer is a mystery.  My JIRA about this was accepted last May but now just appears to be dead in the water.   https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6115

Too many of us have been burned by lost content because we weren't aware of problems, etc, going on.

ok, this is beyond silly.

"

Scheduled Server Maintenance

[Posted 3:17 PM PST, 25 November 2014] We will be performing additional scheduled maintenance on 26 November at approximately 1:00 AM PST. During this time, some residents may experience login issues and residents in-world may be logged off or experience degraded performance. Additionally, during this time Group Chat may fail. Please refrain from rezzing no-copy objects and making L$ transactions during this maintenance. Please check back here for updates."

it is now 9:50PM SLT and still not resolved??  I contacted Live Chat and got told to 'just see when it's resolved on th GSP' and a friend contacted LC (they got a Linden) who confirmed it was indeed still going on.

No copy items HAVE been lost so can not carry working on what was planned today and it's now 21 hours????

Wolf

Something has been gnawing away at the back of my mind (such as it is) for a couple of days now.....

If Linden Lab do not consider the lead of the Server Restart team to be worthy of GSP access status or, worse yet, had never thought there'd be the need, what does that say for Linden Lab management quality?

Now I know there are many that would answer in a flash "well, what do you expect". 

In fact, if Linden Lab are a profitable and credible organisation...as they are supposed to be...I'd expect quite a lot more than we get...if I were a shareholder I would not be impressed. 

Mind you, I suppose if I WERE a shareholder I wouldn't be an SL user.......:smileyfrustrated:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.