Deploys for the week of 2014-10-27

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the CDN texture and mesh fetch project, which was on all RC channels last week. This project changes how in-world textures and meshes are fetched by the viewer.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/14#14.10.17.295641

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-10-28 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel:

BlueSteel is getting a new server maintenance project, which includes some minor improvements.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/14#14.10.24.295913

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-10-29 07:00-10:30 PDT

Second Life RC LeTigre:

LeTigre is moving onto the same project as BlueSteel.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/14#14.10.24.295913

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is moving onto the same project as BlueSteel and LeTigre.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/14#14.10.24.295913

Second Life RC Snack:

Since the CDN project is now grid-wide, the RC Snack channel is being dissolved.  The remaining RC Snack regions (which were all previously on the "Second Life Server" channel) will be returned to the main channel following the Tuesday's roll.

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-10-28 03:00-09:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira.

Maestro

I am seeing some anomalous behaviour at the moment on Main Server sims.  In one case the prims on a region appeared long before the terrain, but the more general issue is sudden and massive increases in sim ping with pings of up to 20 seconds for about 15-20 seconds.  This occurred on three separate Main Server sims and was absent on two LeTigre RC sims I visited.

I thought in might be local but I have seen no glitching in my local net parameters. 

TP between Main Server sims also seemed very slow yet to LeTigre and between LeTigre sims it appeared normal.

Any reports of server-comms issues?

• Lindens

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Maestro

I am seeing some anomalous behaviour at the moment on Main Server sims.  In one case the prims on a region appeared long before the terrain, but the more general issue is sudden and massive increases in sim ping with pings of up to 20 seconds for about 15-20 seconds.  This occurred on three separate Main Server sims and was absent on two LeTigre RC sims I visited.

I thought in might be local but I have seen no glitching in my local net parameters. 

TP between Main Server sims also seemed very slow yet to LeTigre and between LeTigre sims it appeared normal.

Any reports of server-comms issues?

No, I haven't heard any reports of anything like that (or seen it firsthand, on the main channel today).  The main channel is running the same exact builds as the RCs, since the RCs haven't been rolled yet, and there's no difference between the channels in terms of network location.  Could it be that certain mainland regions are performing poorly?

No, Maestro, first two Main server sims I encountred this on are islands, the two LeTigre sims ARE Mainland, so what that suggests goodness knows. 

I do know that the glitching was experienced by another user, also in the UK, so whether Transatlantic shenanigans are at play I do not know!

OK Update at 3pm SLT: 

Login was VERY slow, stalling at "Requesting Region capabilities" and needing all 3 attempts, then data download was very slow. 

It is Woods of Heaven and I am in the process of restarting it from sim 9104.

Also I noticed multiple postings in the Firestorm Support group suggesting maladies related to poor data transmission...they cannot all be Transatlantic users so I must conclude that there is a problem either within Secondlife or very close to it in server terms.

Ayesha, that is so strange! I, too, am from the UK. My problems began after last weeks Grid Roll and were very similar to what you experienced this week! Lots of problems logging in, logins stalling at "Requesting Region capabilities", and my problems weren't being experienced by my partner, also from the UK. Several times I would have tp failiure, be logged out, and then be unable to log in with the viewer telling me it couldn't connect to a server. This happened on both the Main viewer and Firestorm, and happened to both to my main account and my alt account. Often but not always, attempting to then log in with a different viewer resulted in success. It was almost as though my avatars weren't fully logged in. I did clean reinstals of all viewers, cleared cache, even disabled antivirus but with no success. Now for me on Monday morning, 27/10 UK time, everything suddenly cleared up, no more problems, SL back to the same as always. It might be that there are intermittant ongoing transatlantic communcation problems we know nothing about. I just hope things don't go bad again for me again after this latest Grid Roll.

Tuesday night, UK time, so late morning SLT, things were pretty rough. Some attempts didn't connect, some connected but soon failed, some lasted longer. My connection seems fairly good at the moment, downloading Ubuntu on BitTorrent ran at full speed, so that tends to discount line faults at least. But Second Life is different.

Torrents are a poor indicator of network issues due to the nature of that type of traffic, but I too was seeing network related issues as I was moving around / interacting in SL.  They are all better today but it was causing a lot of TP trouble for me and very slow texture / mesh loads yesterday.

TP`d to 3 busy clubs (50+ avatars each, 2 on magnum 1 on main) late evening UK yesterday, most avatars failed to texture (mine was ok). Texture console showed a log jam in FETCH with textues stalled in the HTW state.

Possible tantrum from the UK CDN node coz of extra traffic now it`s gridwide?

Early evening sailing/flying around Blake Sea regions was fine, region crossings were super smooth barely a judder.

Logged in and out a few times with no problem.

Been inworld briefly this morning to check. Log in was quick and fairly smooth. TP'd to various destinations, some I hadn't visited in a while and my Cache is fairly empty after earlier clean reinstals but everything seemed to rez very quickly. One big improvement today is that when I log in and when I tp home my mesh house appears instantly. Up until today I've almost always had to wait for it to rez and/or click in the empty space to make it appear. Home sim is on Main Server. So, I seem to have had the problems after last weeks Grid Roll for some reason and they cleared on Monday, leaving my sl experience with the latest Grid Roll very smooth and fast (so far!). This could be a CDN issue though as I said my home sim is on Main Server as is a friends mainland 512 plot which was also giving me problems last week.

Dagger (and everyone else)

I have it on good authority (no names, no pack drill) that it was indeed a CDN-related tantrum in one server cluster that most folk (but crucially not all) were experiencing.  Now that bottleneck seems to have (been) cleared and CDN is running as expected Grid-Wide.

It'd be nice if some explanation of what was going on was made public but the tech side of LL are notoriously shy of explaning things (even assuming that they know what was happening), so I guess we all should just thank the dieties that it is now fixed.

:smileywink:

• Lindens

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Dagger (and everyone else)

I have it on good authority (no names, no pack drill) that it was indeed a CDN-related tantrum in one server cluster that most folk (but crucially not all) were experiencing.  Now that bottleneck seems to have (been) cleared and CDN is running as expected Grid-Wide.

It'd be nice if some explanation of what was going on was made public but the tech side of LL are notoriously shy of explaning things (even assuming that they know what was happening), so I guess we all should just thank the dieties that it is now fixed.

:smileywink:

The symptoms (failed region connects, high ping times) don't seem to match up with the CDN at all.  All the CDN is providing at this point is meshes, textures, and map tiles.  If the CDN were totally offline, the worst you should see is a world of grey with no meshes loading, assuming your viewer hadn't previously cached the assets in that area.  Given that the issue seemed to be UK-specific (at least from the comments in this thread), I suspect there was regional network issue, somewhere on the path between the UK to Phoenix (where sims are currently hosted).

Fair enough, Maestro

It certainly seems thay something somewhere was suddenly fixed, but what you mention about meshes and map tiles chimes with what I saw here at home...many meshes did not rez or only rezzed slowly and only textures that had been cached were visible, otherwise all grey.  Granted the ping times and failed connects do indeed point to a network issue, but it was strange that some accounts from Europe did not have the issue at all! :smileysurprised:

PS I thought the Linden server farm was now at Tucson, not Phoenix?

It might depend on who is carrying the traffic, but the last time I did a traceroute the last machine before Linden Lab hardware was a router in Phoenix. Geography might be a little vaguer, something like a suburb rather than Phoenix itself, but the placename was in the router-name. just as for the connection from my ISP in London. Tucson to Phoenix is far enough that it has different data centres, around a hundred miles I think, and its own routers.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Arabella

That is a bit odd 'cos the info came from Oz Linden via the inworld Firestorm Support Group, so the question is, Tucson or Phoenix?

Clarification sought please?

In this recent Thread Oz said,

"We moved out of the facilities we had been using in Dallas; it's all in Phoenix now. Well, we call it Phoenix... I assume it's in that general area somewhere - I don't need to know, and usually you won't either.

With the use of the CDN, your network distance from the datacenter will make much less difference than it did before."

It's my recollection hat Tucson was mentioned in connection with doing a Speedtest—they didn't for a while have a Speedtest server in Phoenix—and not for the actual server site.

Server locations for both SL and a Speedtest server are given here. Read the footnotes. The servers are in Phoenix AZ, not Tucson. When I checked last week, there was a Speedtest server in Phoenix. It is apparently a major hub for some internet routes.

Oz Linden repeated the location info in one of the forums, but now I can't find it. Some thread about the ping times reported by the viewer. I did turn up a reference to Chandler AZ, which is a suburb on the West side of Phoenix proper, but I don't know if that is correct info.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Arabella and Perrie

I stand corrected, I was obviously in possession of out-of-date info.  I think Firestorm Support ought to know too.

Both Speedtest.Net and Pingtest.net use/depend on donated hosts(servers) for their tests.  In other words they have permission to be pinging the servers they use for the tests.  Hosts get added or dropped from their tests over time.

As fast as FS might update the info it could change.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.