Deploys for the week of 2014-05-12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

No rolls are scheduled for the main channel this week.

Second Life RC BlueSteel and RC LeTigre:

No rolls are scheduled for RC BlueSteel or RC LeTigre this week.  Both channels will remain on the inventory update project.  This project enables support for a new version of the inventory service, AISv3.  To make use of this new feature, login with the Sunshine RC Viewer.

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is moving to a new maintenance project. This project includes a bug fix for a networking-related issue that sometimes affects busy sims.

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-05-14 07:00-10:30 PDT

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/14#14.05.09.289913

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Sorry, I cannot quite figure what this bugfix on Magnum is for. I have been seeing some horrible sim-behaviour at some events. with plummetting sim/physics frame rates, bursts of packet loss, and extended ping times all reported by the viewer, and I suppose this all could be the "networking-related issue" of the bugfix.

But I am not the highly paid computer professional that some people in these parts are. Reading a JIRA makes my brain hurt, I read and write English, not BASIC, or whatever it is you guys use.

Just what is going on?

arabellajones wrote:

But I am not the highly paid computer professional that some people in these parts are. Reading a JIRA makes my brain hurt, I read and write English, not BASIC, or whatever it is you guys use.

Just what is going on? 

I'm also not a "highly paid computer professional," but I assume this is a potential fix for some of the issues you mention. Specifically issues with busy regions (I've seen this at events like C88, etc.) where an indiividual ends up losing presense on the server, having issues with transactions, etc.

BASIC. That's funny. :-D

Mari

• Lindens

Marianne's assumption is correct; the 'network issues' would result in a variety of transaction failures and cause many data-fetching operations to fail.  The failures are pretty straightforward when they occur, though; I wouldn't expect them to direclty result in packet loss or sim/viewer FPS reduction.

Yesterday I started experiencing serious problems, especially crashes after teleporting and after each attempt to access the "actions on selected person" function/button. The worst thing is that after one of those crashes I had an important inventory loss: although I can't say an exact number, I probably lost near 1000 items from my inventory. You can imagine that it represent an economical important loss too. Today, May 17th, I am in the same situation and nobody is giving info...I am rather disappointed....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.