Deploys for the week of 2014-01-06

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel will be updated to get the server maintenance project that was on the RC channels for the past few weeks.  This project contains a single bug fix, related to vehicles becoming stuck in the 'sat upon' state (which prevents parcel autoreturn).

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.12.06.284624

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-01-07 05:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel, RC LeTigre, and RC Magnum:

All three RC channels are on a new server maintenance project.  This project includes some crash fixes and new features related to LSL scripting and object creation. 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.12.20.285035
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.12.20.285035
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.12.20.285035

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-01-08 07:00-10:30 PST

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Do you have any update or can an update be provided for this issue that has not been updated since 12 Dec 2013 please?

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/12/12/post2134/

I have filed three support tickets, all of which have been closed and spoken to Live Chat at least twice.  All I am told is that it is still being worked on.  Some communication with residents would be very welcome as there are quite a number of us waiting for the snapshot functionality to return to my.secondlife.com.

Just a quick comment on today's Main Server Roll.

After, I have noticed an increase in the severity of the "Interest List" bug phenomena, far more objects are failing to rez until one of the workarounds is used.  This is possibly just "one of those things" that occurs with updates of the server software, but this is the first time that I have really noticed a change for the worse.  I have had a similar reaction to this from others on my friendslist. 

Nothing else major apart from a noticeable slowing of reaction time for a "sit" animation to "take".

• Lindens

Hi Ayesha, the code change introduced with the main channel update shouldn't relate to interest list (or any asset loading) behavior.  Could it be that you were switched on to or off of the 'Project Interesting' viewer? 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers#Second_Life_Release_Channel

Maestro

Not a viewer issue since I routinely use Firestorm to connect to SL.  What I HAVE observed is that the sim...8883 seems to be distinctly sluggish in several aspects and markedly slower than our last sim...9724.  Whether the server type or server-faerm colocation is different I do not know.

I do not see these issues on other Main Server sims in the 9500-9800 range.

If the issue persists I may restart the region to another server and see what results.

ETA: Restarted sim to 8957...ping actually worse, around 220ms.  Checked another Main Server Homestead sim 9096, Mysterious Isle...sim ping around 30-50ms lower, as it should be for my location in the UK.  What is going on with your colocations?  Restarted Woods of Heaven to sim 9911.  Sim ping back to normal at c.180ms. :smileyfrustrated:

Second Life 3.6.9 (282535) Oct 18 2013 04:31:50 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at xxxxxxxx  in Caledon Tanglewood located at sim10005.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.48.15:13013)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon%20Tanglewood/218/73/4001
(global coordinates 231,898.0, 262,729.0, 4,000.8)
Second Life RC Magnum 13.12.20.285035

Issue occurs with the Current Version of Firestorm and the nightly  64bit version of Firestorm.

There seems to be a problem with seeing mesh objects since the restart.  Symptoms are as follow:

(1) Mesh objects resident in the region don't appear visually, however if you know where they are you can touch them.

(2)Mesh prims (hair in this case) when attached in the Mganum region are invisible,   however if you TP do a non magnum region  they appear.   When you TP back to the Magnum region the hair is visible, however if removed and replaced you can no longer see it

Also attempting to TP out of the region results in a disconnect and the region appears to not be connected to the adjacent regions to the south and east.

you can enter (by moving) the region from the east, but attempting the region to the east  leaves one floating and eventually disconnected.

Update,   region was restarted now on Second Life RC Magnum 13.12.20.285035 and the problems have disappeared.

• Lindens

Hi Ayesha, I checked out the performance between sim8883 and sim9724, and behavior is the same between the two hosts.  I have the same network ping time to the two hosts, and similar viewer 'ping' (not a true 'ping time' - this stat also includes frame rendering time) when I visit a region on each host.  Both hosts are in the same colo, so you should have the same network route.  I suspect that the performance difference you see is not between the hosts, but something that changed over time.

• Lindens

It appears that Dacia has stabilized.  It's currently at 426MB of physics memory (this is a known issue if the region rebakes many times) but has not changed over the past few hours.  There were many navmesh rebakes about 20 hours ago, but only 1 rebake has happened in the past hour (and the navmesh is currently 'up-to-date').  I'm not sure what triggered the rapid rebakes before, but rebaking typically only occurs when a viewer requests it or if the navmesh has been stale (changes have been made which are not yet reflected in the navmesh) for 6 hours.

• Lindens

Hope, the symptoms you describe sound like a 'capabilities' issue for that region.  When this happens, you would typically also see failures to transact L$ or view 'about land' for parcels in the region, among various other symptoms.  I would recommend filing a support ticket when this happens, for a speedy response.

About two hours ago there was a serious problem with teleports in the Blue Steel particularly the Turnip server, not only were teleports leading to crashes, when they worked internal ports were ending up in areas of the sim not requested or the avi went to a no requested area and did not appear at all.  In the last two hours this seems to have changed, but the problems were serious for about an hour and followed a pattern that I have never seen before. Because of this they seem worth reporting here and at least noting in case they return later.  Also it should be noted that these problems did not effect me alone but a second person trying to enter the sim who constantly crashed while trying to rezz after both ports and relogs after those crashes. Note also this continued after he restarted his computer in an attempt to remove any bad data that may have become lodged during his first crash.

Maestro, I'm not sure what triggers the bug, either, but I've been experiencing that at Nuggy — where I own a parcel — since March 2013. It may be related to the Pathfinding bug supposedly fixed a few months ago. So it's not something caused by the latest updates.

All I know is that whenever one of my neighbours lands on his parcel, the navmesh needs to be rebaked. And no, he hasn't terraformed for a long time. Me an my neighbour have been talking about it for months and never came to a conclusion. It can be his pet dog or anything else detecting his presence there... We just don't know, but we are sure that it is his presence there. Also, he says that after every simulator restart he has to reset all his furniture... And yes, his parcel uses a lot of scripts memory — maybe it is a whole set of items combined that causes it.

• Lindens

Hi MBeatrix, this could be caused by scripts acting up in his parcel.  While scripted calls generally blocked on objects set to a 'static' pathfinding type, LSL scripts may rez objects that contribute to the navmesh, or derez themselves while contributing to the navmesh.  Since the navmesh has changed when this happens, it will be marked as 'needs to be rebaked'.  I would recommend asking your neighbor to review the 'pathfinding linksets' list in his parcel to see if any of his objects are unexpectedly set to a non-movable type.  However, this could be difficult if the culprit object disappears before he has a chance to view the list.

• 4 months later...

After all this time trying everything we could within our short knowledge, we still can't draw any conclusion, and the issue persists. Some process in the region keeps triggering the need to rebake the navmesh — which we won't do anymore because it only would make things worse — and is "eating" memory. From our non technical point of view, what happens is similar to the Pathfinding bug that supposedly has been fixed months ago.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.