Deploys for the week of 2013-11-04 (Updated at 2013-11-06 07:07 PST)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel will be updated to get the server maintenance project that was previously on all three RC channels.  This project includes some crash fixes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.10.25.282998

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-11-05 05:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel, RC Magnum, and RC LeTigre:

Due to a last minute issue found in testing, the RC rolls this morning have been canceled.

All three RC channels are on a new project.  This project includes some under-the-hood changes for the experience tools project.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.11.01.283291

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.11.01.283291

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.11.01.283291

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-11-06 07:00-10:30 PST

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

OK Maestro

This week's Restart had Woods of Heaven restarted to sim 9128, and we have had issues again.  First symptom I noticed was a higher than usual sim ping of just over 200ms, vs c175ms last week on sim9753.

Tonight the ping is over 260ms and we are seeing packet loss of above 1% as opposed to a normal situation on no loss whatsoever.

I TP'd to a couple of other Main Server sims, and while the ping was a little elevated it was nothing like as high.

Last time I saw this phenomenon was when we were on sim 9078 after a restart last week to 9753 all was well.  I wonder if the sims are on the same host or in the same data-centre?

9753 was fine. Yes, ping was a little higher in the evening but nothing major less than 10% - maybe that is at the other data-centre, or at least on a better-performing host machine?

I am not planning to add to the already open JIRA on this, but LL need to sort this connectivity issue out.

ETA on Wed 6th (GMT):

Having restarted the sim to 9133, the stats were back to normal, ie  no packet loss and sim ping 175ms+/-10 from over 250ms.  Now this sort of difference is critical to those of us outside the USA, and would be bad for anyone with a normal ping of over 100ms.  It is clearly internal to Linden Lab and its immediate service providers, so it is up to LL to get this continual failure sorted out.

2nd ETA: OK, so now the system has made a liar of me, sim ping suddenly shot up 50ms in the last 30 mins.  What on EARTH is going on?

3rd ETA later the same SL morning:  *sigh* SL is making a real mug of me...now everything is back to normal, so I have no clue as to what is causing this.

Well, on Tuesday, between 3am and 4am, I rezzed dozens of new outfits from two vendors. I then moved them into their new folders created for those vendors. Then I thought I would do this for another few vendors. I love organizing to find things better. Just after 4am when I was done, I tried to change into an outfit and could not wear it. I kept getting an error message that I could not rez the item. I wasn't trying to rez, just wear. I relgged and, when I returned, all the items I purchased and rezzed were gone as well as all the outfits I had been moving around. The only issued posted was this one which said the restarts would start at 5am AND "Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and remember to save all builds." Of course, all the items gone are no copy, BUT I did all this before this was to start! I'm on SL time, too. Now, I have looked up every help on fixing this. I cleared my cache through the viewer, then manually, then did a clean reinstall of my viewer. Then removed ALL viewers and did a clean reinstall of just one. Nothing. The items are gone. We're talking about thousands of items here. Gone. Not to mention the money and the work it took to organize it all. Seriously. Now what? AND why do you guys have to do this to us? This is real money I've used, down the drain now!

Maestro/ Andrew.......We still have the problem of vehicles with sitting avatars being stopped and  the vehicle retuned due to crossing a parcel that is full.  I believe this is called BUG  tracker issue SVC-22  which shows as acknowledged but no one is assigned to work on it.  This bug is at least 3 years old.......what is  the  reason no one is working on this?

SVC-22

Vehicles crossing region borders aren't always treated as vehicles and can get incorrectly returned if the destination parcel is no-entry or parcel-full

When an Avatar is  sitting in flying airplane vehicle  at 100  meters elevation  and happens to pass over a parcel that is full  or a parcel that only has 30 remaining spare prims the vehicle is frozen/unable to move. 

This issue is very easy to reproduce on any full or nearly full parcel.    Many of the bugs  users report are  difficult to re-produce  but this  issue  can be easily demonstrated on any full  or nearly full parcel....so the question is ,,, if its simple to see the  issue......why is no one at Linden Lab  working on this?

The typical  Linden response is  "you need to submit  a Bug Report on the issue tracker....... WE  did  so .... years ago ! Now it is in Linden Labs  capable hands   not the SL residents.....Plz  lets get this resolved.

Wolf

It seems that the Inventory Server/database maintenance has, in fact been performed.  It may well be that this work precluded any other operations, but coupled with these intractable connectivity and sim-crossing issues that are on-going, it begins to look like LL technicians are flailing around without much of a clue as to what to do.

A lack of co-ordinated, joined-up thinking is now a trade-mark of LL operations and I despair of them ever getting a handle on some of the things in SL that are patently broken.

As CEO of this benighted company, Rod Humble must be chewing his hands off, after first writing a new CV.

• Lindens

dd Temin wrote:

Maestro/ Andrew.......We still have the problem of vehicles with sitting avatars being stopped and  the vehicle retuned due to crossing a parcel that is full.  I believe this is called BUG  tracker issue SVC-22  which shows as acknowledged but no one is assigned to work on it.  This bug is at least 3 years old.......what is  the  reason no one is working on this?

When an Avatar is  sitting in flying airplane vehicle  at 100  meters elevation  and happens to pass over a parcel that is full  or a parcel that only has 30 remaining spare prims the vehicle is frozen/unable to move. 

This issue is very easy to reproduce on any full or nearly full parcel.    Many of the bugs  users report are  difficult to re-produce  but this  issue  can be easily demonstrated on any full  or nearly full parcel....so the question is ,,, if its simple to see the  issue......why is no one at Linden Lab  working on this?

The typical  Linden response is  "you need to submit  a Bug Report on the issue tracker....... WE  did  so .... years ago ! Now it is in Linden Labs  capable hands   not the SL residents.....Plz  lets get this resolved.

Hi dd, which parcel does the 'parcel full' message mention?  I cannot reproduce the 'parcel full' issue in general when I drive my vehicle within a region onto a full parcel - the vehicle is able to enter the parcel.  I think you're seeing one of the new bugs that I described in this post:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploy-for-the-week-of-2013-10-21/m-p/2280101/highlight/true#M12343

i experiencd this yesterday.in sim called Foxboro  when passing over a  512 parcel called  Dax's place  and  also the same problem occurs at an adjecent sim called Duggan when i pass over that Big  black castle next to Linden Highway at a parcel called  Small World.  Both of these parcels are adjecent to the Linden Highway .

The vehicle (Airplane) i am flying is  stops and freezes  when attempting to pass over those nearly full parcels.

And of course.because your vehicle wont move...as soon as you stand up  the airplane  gets returned to your lost and found  folder due to parcel full. A Vehicle getting returned  due to parcel full  is expected behavior  as you are not sitting anymore.BUT  the airplane should have NEVER become frozen upon entering the nearly full parcel as my avatar was sitting/piloting  the vehicle.

Thank you very much for responding to my Post

WE do know your one of the good Guys :)

Maestro...Yes ,,,,you are correct .. this bug is only effecting  vehicles/airplanes   that are MESH  or have mesh parts

I went back to those 2 sims tonite  and found that NON-Mesh Airplanes  were able  to pass through these same regions with no  problems.

i also tested several other airplanes with Mesh parts  and all of them  exhibited the  "your vehicle returned because parcel is full".

Maestro , Does this mesh vehicle region crossing  issue have a seperate issue tracking  bug number?

reference: The other unfixed bug related to 'parcel full' and vehicles, only has an internal issue, and goes as follows:
* When driving a mesh vehicle from RegionA into certain coordinates of RegionB, the vehicle is returned to the owner for 'parcel full' upon crossing if the parcel that the vehicle enters in RegionB is full.  This should not happen, since vehicles should be immune from returns due to full parcels.  Straingely, this bug does not affect vehicles which do not contain any meshes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.