Deploys for the week of 2013-09-30

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

No updates are planned for the main channel this week.

Second Life RC BlueSteel, RC Magnum, and RC LeTigre:

All three RC channels are getting a new server maintenance project.  This project includes a fix for a group notice delivery issue, introduces a missing JSON operation to LSL, and includes preparatory work for an upcoming viewer with scene loading (interest list) improvements.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.09.27.281745

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.09.27.281745

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.09.27.281745

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-10-02 07:00-10:30 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Norton

I would not ordinarily disagree with you on most topics in SL, but in the last few months, with every rolling restart on Main Server I have found our region to be on a new server.  Not occasionally but EVERY week, a new server.

This situation was not always thus but it is so now.

Yoriko

Is your sim ping still high?  As of yesterday at about 9am Pacific mine returned to normal values everywhere I went.  I do not know what changed...maybe the US Admin shutdown is responsible for lower net traffic?  :smileysurprised:

Yesterdays restarts, apparently did not go well, as we are getting reports from through sl of massive lag, failed teleports, slow or aborted ports, massive crashes, huge inventory problems, and massive script times all over sl, along with larger than normal memory allocations.  These problems begain over the weekend with the run up to the restart and have only gotten worse so they may be an issue of server setting rather than restart code or changes.  At this point sl performance is worse than it has been in years and unless this matter is fixed we all are going to suffer greatly. 

Hopefully, LL will take the time to address and deal with these issues rather than rushing headling into the next round of changes as they have in the past.  Given the losses in online numbers that we have seen over the last six months, LL cannot continue to let this situation persist or more will follow along with more close businesses and abandoned land, for as things are today neither have much value and these issues need to be addressed and dealt with before a bad restart turns into a general disaster.  Hopefully, LL will listen and fix these problems but given their past history that is rather doubtful.

I think at this point no one bothers to complain because they have learned that it will produce nothing but excuses and suggestions that it is really our connections or computers.  The truth is this is happening all over sl my connection is solid and my setting are basically the same as they were last week before this mess began.  But really it is probably unreasonable to expect stable service from Linden Lab for player needs are not a priority with them and it has yet to dawn on them that players are the ones who pay their wages and that paying players are fast becoming a vanishing breed.

Thing is, that I hear similar complaints all day, every day - & the number of times it does turn out to be an LL issue is really quite tiny.

Everybody says their connection is great - even those on a 3G tether or wifi in a coffee bar. Did you actually try the 3 simple things I listed? Unless you are willing to do some basic troubleshooting yourself, it's very hard to make any kind of progress whatsoever. Just sitting there saying "It's all LL's fault" really gains nothing without solid evidence to support it.

Lydia Craig wrote:

Yesterdays restarts, apparently did not go well, as we are getting reports from through sl of massive lag, failed teleports, slow or aborted ports, massive crashes, huge inventory problems, and massive script times all over sl, along with larger than normal memory allocations.  These problems begain over the weekend with the run up to the restart and have only gotten worse so they may be an issue of server setting rather than restart code or changes.  At this point sl performance is worse than it has been in years and unless this matter is fixed we all are going to suffer greatly. 

Hopefully, LL will take the time to address and deal with these issues rather than rushing headling into the next round of changes as they have in the past.  Given the losses in online numbers that we have seen over the last six months, LL cannot continue to let this situation persist or more will follow along with more close businesses and abandoned land, for as things are today neither have much value and these issues need to be addressed and dealt with before a bad restart turns into a general disaster.  Hopefully, LL will listen and fix these problems but given their past history that is rather doubtful.

Do you still feel that all these problems are being caused by the Data Base?  It's been a long time since you said anything about that.

Or do you think these new problems are being caused by something else?

Lydia,

I am in SL every day of the week for several hours...scripting, building, flying, boating, auto racing . Usually after 9PM PST time. I have not experienced any of the issues that you  are currently reporting.  I am estate manager of 2 private islands  and also own 1/2 of a mainland sim. I use ultra mode and view distance of 256 meters. I7 pc and nvidia gt 550TI graphics. Viewer = cool viewer for last 6 years

I am however located in the USA........perhaps  you are located out of the usa?   I have  noticed lots of post in the forums lately  about  bottlenecks on internet lines to second life  causing  excessive ping times during certain hours  (above.net  was mentioned as the trouble spot).

Another resident that I know  uses the same 2 private island sims and   does have a lots of   viewer crashing problems especially on sim crossings.  We think  that  residents problem to be caused by  excessive Inventory size (70,000 + items).

Because, if that resident uses and alternate Avatar  with  very low inventory count on the same PC/ viewer  all viewer crashing problems are gone.  we did this same test with several different viewers. (both avatars have same attachments and very low script time.  (0.035 ms total)  Also note this resident is in Europe .... so  much longer ping times involved.

I personally have 28,000  inventory items myself and dont have any issues with sim crossings.

Dont get me wrong...  SL  does have lots of  technical problems  with viewers and server updates that are un-ending  :(

I am just saying that I personally  have not experenced any new serious problems in the last few weeks.

Dear All

Being in the UK with a moderately scripted (70) avatar with a 45K inventory, it would be expected that I might have issues.  Other than the Abovenet server latency issue that magically disappeared when the US admin shutdown began, or the month of October started (you choose), I experience no issues this week that were not present last week or before.

Whatever the cause of the outrageously high pings to Europe, the UK and Australia (those are the regions that I KNOW had issues, there were almost certainly others) I'd say SL was running reasonably well, for a given value of well.

The http issues, sim crossing issues, interest list issues and materials issues are all known, and will be fixed no doubt in the fullness of time.  The issues that those such as Lydia suffer probably will not until Linden Lab also employ psychiatrists.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Dear All

Being in the UK with a moderately scripted (70) avatar with a 45K inventory, it would be expected that I might have issues.  Other than the Abovenet server latency issue that magically disappeared when the US admin shutdown began, or the month of October started (you choose), I experience no issues this week that were not present last week or before.

Whatever the cause of the outrageously high pings to Europe, the UK and Australia (those are the regions that I KNOW had issues, there were almost certainly others) I'd say SL was running reasonably well, for a given value of well.

The http issues, sim crossing issues, interest list issues and materials issues are all known, and will be fixed no doubt in the fullness of time.  The issues that those such as Lydia suffer probably will not until Linden Lab also employ psychiatrists.

LL's actual name does make me wonder at times............... :)

"Linden Research, Inc., d/b/a Linden Lab,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linden_Lab

From the UK, I have been seeing better ping times on Speedtest to Dallas recently, I used to show about 270ms, now down to 130 - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3013527898 which now pretty much corresponds to what I see for a sim ping inworld.

The UL speeds are also showing a lot better than they used to. My line is advertised as being 120/12, but there is a glitch on my gateway that appears to QoS Speedtest to 50, even if I test to a nearpoint, so I'm not at all worried about the UL being pinned - plenty to spare for SL, of course. ;-)

For reference, using http://softdallas.speedtest.net & hitting the "Preferred" button, not "Recommended" is the simplest way to test directly to Dallas.

ayesha,

for me nothing has changed...

just did a tracert:

3    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  ge-7-1-6-0.xd01.weham.de.hansenet.net [62.109.11
8.86]
  4    26 ms    27 ms    25 ms  ae0-0.pr02.weham.de.hansenet.net [213.191.66.173
]
  5    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  rmwc-hmbg-de04-chan-0-0.nw.mediaways.net [213.20
.88.206]
  6    43 ms    42 ms    42 ms  xmwc-lond-uk01-chan-1-0.nw.mediaways.net [195.71
.254.130]
  7    42 ms    42 ms    41 ms  rmwc-lond-uk02-gigaet-0-1-0.nw.mediaways.net [62
.54.30.198]
  8    46 ms    45 ms    45 ms  ge-3-3-0.mpr1.lhr3.uk.above.net [195.66.236.76]

9    45 ms    45 ms    46 ms  ge-2-2-0.mpr1.lhr3.uk.above.net.24.125.64.in-add
r.arpa [64.125.24.217]
 10   119 ms   120 ms   122 ms  xe-4-3-0.cr2.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.24.41]
 11   160 ms   166 ms   159 ms  xe-0-2-0.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.28.50]
 12   203 ms   177 ms   177 ms  ae0.mpr4.phx2.us.above.net [64.125.28.73]
 13   272 ms   272 ms   270 ms  xe-1-0-0.mpr3.phx2.us.above.net [64.125.27.97]
 14   332 ms   265 ms   267 ms  64.124.161.254.allocated.above.net [64.124.161.2
54]
 15     *        *        *     Zeitueberschreitung der Anforderung.
 16     *        *        *     Zeitueberschreitung der Anforderung.
 17   266 ms   260 ms   257 ms  sim10308.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.50.30]

it will get even worse later in the day...

maybe you´ve just not checked the right (bad) sims? ;)

try this sim sometime ;)

edit: typos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.