Deploys for the week of 2013-09-16

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is updating to the server version that was on Magnum last week.  This project is preparatory work for future viewers, and adds support for improved texture and mesh asset fetching techniques. 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.09.05.280647

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-09-17 05:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on the same server maintenance project as last week.  This project contains several bugfixes, and also prevents a technique used to bypass parcel autoreturn rules.  This week's update fixes a newly-discovered crash mode, and also includes the changes present in this week's main channel update.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.09.13.281045

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.09.13.281045

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-09-18 07:00-10:30 PDT

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum on a new server maintenance project.  This project includes all the changes found in BlueSteel and LeTigre, and also includes other fixes.  This project also includes more crash fixes, and addresses an issue in which parcel access controls would not allow a user on the "Allowed Residents" list, under certain circumstances.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.09.13.281049

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is updating to the server version that was on Magnum last week.  This project is preparatory work for future viewers, and adds support for improved texture and mesh asset fetching techniques. 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.09.05.280647

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-09-17 05:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on the same server maintenance project as last week.  This project contains several bugfixes, and also prevents a technique used to bypass parcel autoreturn rules.  This week's update fixes a newly-discovered crash mode, and also includes the changes present in this week's main channel update.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.09.13.281045

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.09.13.281045

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum on a new server maintenance project.  This project includes all the changes found in BlueSteel and LeTigre, and also includes other fixes.  This project also includes more crash fixes, and addresses an issue in which parcel access controls would not allow a user on the "Allowed Residents" list, under certain circumstances.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.09.13.281049

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Maestro

It is very much a "first look" opinion, but it rather seems as though the new Server Version on Main Server has caused a bit of a step-back in progress on the "Interest List" prim-rezzing issue.  I did think that there was some increase in bandwidth after TP to several Magnum regions last week but I was unsure.  The issue seems to be present now on Main Server so it must be related to the software.  Some increase in sim-client communication, but not anything that the client can handle, it would seem.

Once I have more information I will post again and file a JIRA BUG-report.

Reason for edit: Grammar and spelling correction.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Maestro

It is very much a "first look" opinion, but it rather seems as though the new Server Version on Main Server has caused a bit of a step-back in progress on the "Interest List" prim-rezzing issue.  I did think that there was some increase in bandwidth after TP to several Magnum regions last week but I was unsure.  The issue seems to be present now on Main Server so it must be related to the software.  Some increase in sim-client communication, but not anything that the client can handle, it would seem.

Once I have more information I will post again and file a JIRA BUG-report.

Reason for edit: Grammar and spelling correction.

I'd been watching this for about a week now, this weekend was the worst.

I thought maybe there was a network problem that never got commented on, but it was the first time in ages I personally experienced and was hearing complaints about chat lag in Local Chat.

If the prims not rezzing persists I will start posting screen shots again.

• Lindens

Hi Ayesha, thanks for the feedback.  In case you'd like to do a direct A/B comparison of this week's main channel version to what was up last week, I've set up a pair on aditi which are running those two versions:

* "Xing1 PHX"  is running 13.09.05.280647 (this week's main channel update)

* "Xing1 DFW" is running 13.09.05.280639 (the version on main channel before the update)

The regions are both mostly empty and low activity, so they should have similar performance with respect to the speed at which objects and other assets load.  Feel free to rez some things in case you want to make them more 'interesting'.

hi :)

to me it seems that half of the (about 10) sims i visited have serious network issues.

my ping is almost doubled in those regions (around 500, compared to 200 - 280 usually).

i also noticed a lot packet loss in those regions.

another thing i noticed in the bad mainland regions, they sometimes appear invisible (offline) from neighboring sims. you can not see them, or fly into them, but you can teleport in.

and when you are in, you don´t see all the neighboring sims.

examples are kuso (an island) and on mainland blanc, bolsena or trasimeno.

i hope this won´t last for a whole week.

thanks for reading

yuriko

edit: support restarted the sim blanc, and it seem to have fixed the "sim is invisible pproblem".

but the latency and packet loss remain bad

Many (most or all) mesh items on my estate sim (Low Prim Furniture) will not rez, and every time I have tried to teleport to another sim, I've been logged out.  Just restarted the sim hoping that would help, but mesh items are still not rezzing and I'm still getting logged out upon teleport attempt.  I am also having inventory fetching issues on that sim. Will post back if things improve.

Edited to Add: (this is the next morning) - things seem to have improved, most mesh is rezzing, I can tp in and out, inventory seems to be loading ok.  I do have a couple mesh items that are not loading that display yellow triangles, not sure what that's about as they always rezzed before.  These are also not rezzing on the LeTigre server, even though they did rez before.

• Lindens

I met with Yuriko yesterday evening to look at the ping/packet loss issue.  The regions which were slow for her were all in the same datacenter, which made me wonder if it's an upstream networking issue.  Yuriko reported that her ping was back to normal levels early this morning.  Ayesha and Perrie, is network performance back to 'normal' for you as well?

Hi Sera, can you describe where to find the mesh objects that you're having issues with now?  The earlier issue with all meshes failing to load and TP failing sounds like the sim was having capabilities issue, though I don't know what would cause only certain meshes objects to fail to load.

Maestro Linden wrote:

I met with Yuriko yesterday evening to look at the ping/packet loss issue.  The regions which were slow for her were all in the same datacenter, which made me wonder if it's an upstream networking issue.  Yuriko reported that her ping was back to normal levels early this morning.  Ayesha and Perrie, is network performance back to 'normal' for you as well?

Hi Sera, can you describe where to find the mesh objects that you're having issues with now?  The earlier issue with all meshes failing to load and TP failing sounds like the sim was having capabilities issue, though I don't know what would cause only certain meshes objects to fail to load.

As of last night things appeared to be back to 'normal.'

My friends and I are avid 'explorers' and on any given night we can easily hit a half dozen SIMs or more and none of us were experiencing the problems, especially the chat lag we did over the week end.

Maestro Linden wrote:

Hi Maestro, I cleared my cache and that seems to have fixed the problem of this particular item not rezzing in both the parcels on different servers. Everything seems pretty ok now! Thanks for following up.

Maestro

As you may gather from Monty, and I quote him: "For what it's worth, I've been getting 100+ mS ping times from the Linden Boston office with above.net appearing to be the culprit.  I don't know the why but it is real and new."

the sim ping issue has NOT gone away.  There appears to be a severe throttling occurring with one of Above.net's servers in the USA, and it is affecting SL users in Europe primarily during our evening hours.

I suspect US users will not notice the increase unless they look, since to my eyes, a sim ping of less than 150ms seems to make little or no difference.

Our daytime (2-6pm BST) sim ping is normal at around 160-180ms, but from 9pm -12midnight our time it is 280-350ms with some spikes of high (>10%) packet loss (up to 2% average for me as against 0 in normal circumstances).

The consequences of this are not severe if I am not moving, apart from annoying chat-lag, but if any movement is required the increased delay becomes a serious impediment.  The co-incidence with the Main Server roll on Tuesday is to say the least unfortunate and I do wonder if the extra data that sims are sending is exacerbating the problem.

In short, this is a matter that needs sorting out.

after watching the net stats for the last few days at different times of the day i found out that the connection is "ok" (not great) during german morning times. still some packet loss but ping only slightly higher than what i am used to.

later in the day it gets worse. at night time (afternoon slt) the ping goes up to 300-400 and packet loss average 4-5 %.

this is only this one data center, the other ones run fine for me.

that brings up a few questions for me :)

- is there anything we or LL can do about it?

- will the sim stay on this server forever? or possibly move around to other datacenters after rolling restarts?

- does this only affect europeans or anyone?

thanks for reading :)

yuriko

Can you provide some more info for those of us who can't view these things about

Maestro Linden wrote:

Hi Perrie, that change is simply for the viewer to send a message to revoke
 from objects rezzed in the sim when you hit 'Me'->'Movement'->'Stop Animating Me' in the viewer's menu.

Thank you Maestro.

A step in the right direction.

Based on several years of reading complaints in the Forums and In World I am of the opinion the problem of Griefers exploiting the fact that certain permissions could not be revoked has been more ubiquitous than many realized.

Part of the problem as I see it still is if you can't see who or what is doing it to you, how can you AR it to get it dealt with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.