Deploys for the week of 2013-08-05

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

No updates on the main channel

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.07.19.278836

Second Life RC BlueSteel

BlueSteel is on a new server maintenance project.  This project fixes some bugs related to LSL scripts in child prims of linksets, and also addresses some server crash modes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.08.02.279482

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-08-07 07:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC Magnum and Second Life RC LeTigre:

No updates on Magnum and LeTigre

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.07.26.279129

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.07.26.279129

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a JIRA.

• Lindens

Hi Jack and Innula,

My apologies, but I may have jumped the gun on this JIRA VWR-13228 "Object can obtain and retain permissions indefinitely without avatar's knowledge and no way of knowing who took it".

The server change to fix this issue is in place for Wednesday. However, the current viewer doesn't support this change yet.

I am going ahead and take it down from the fixed category.

Thanks,

Caleb

dd Temin wrote:

Yes....but for the ones who did not know about it already?

Jira details are not normally shown to anyone but the jira creator....so why allow all the public to see this  security breach related jira?

Errm.   You will notice that that jira dates from 2009, when everyone could see jiras, and the exploit was common knowledge to any half-way competent scripter back then.    If it was a SEC jira, it would, of course, be hidden, but, while it's certainly a nuisance, it's not the sort of thing I'd describe as a SEC issue.

I just live my life on SL, i don't follow all the latest places problems are reported.

Common sense dictates that when LL tells everyone to update viewers by July 9 because SSB is being rolled out and a month later its no where in sight on the main channel, as i said i assume there are problems.

Thats just commom sense

If this bear has to choose between eating a marmalade sandwich and reading the JIRA, the sandwich wins.

And I am going to get fat.

We've had a week of terrible sim crossing, with vehicles losing track of camera position and sit position. The rubber-banding is sometimes crazy. If you go along the chain of water regions passing through Moose, expect some north-to-south passages to be impossible, and I have tried several different vehicles.

And the JIRA, I have become convinced, is useless. I can't talk the talk, and when every fault I submit gets classed as "expected behaviour", I become liable to use bad language. I'm no Malcolm Tucker (and I consider his vocabulary terribly limited, even when the flexibility of his favourite work is taken into account. If you were running a brewery, the beer would be typical of the Anchor Brewery in the early Sixties. Things are looking that bad.

As a scripter and landowner both, I deeply regretted the decision to make the jira inaccessible, for the most part, to anyone other than the reporter of the issue, because, when I encountered some weirdness in SL, I found it such a time - saver to be able to see if this was a known issue, expected behaviour with a work round, or what.

While I haven't myself encountered many issues on channels that are running SSA, I find it very useful indeed to have the details of the known issues, so I can answer tenants' and customers' questions like "why aren't my animations synching properly?"

nikita Jefferson wrote:

I just live my life on SL, i don't follow all the latest places problems are reported.

Common sense dictates that when LL tells everyone to update viewers by July 9 because SSB is being rolled out and a month later its no where in sight on the main channel, as i said i assume there are problems.

Thats just commom sense

Well it was common sense that they *did* start rolling SSA to the main grid by July 9th, to RC sims. That was never a guarantee it would be grid wide by then.

Poor Linden Labs, if they rushed it out with bugs, they would get blasted. If they are slow and careful to make sure that doesn't happen, they are blasted. Just can't win either way. :)

Not sure what went down today with the rolls, it looked very small BUT, as of this afternoon, I can no longer TP more than once without the TP failing and logging me out. Whatever got broken, please revert. For the peanut gallery, no, it's not my connections or computers (I've tried multiple tested connections and multiple computers,) but thanks for playing.

Sharie Criss wrote:

Not sure what went down today with the rolls, it looked very small BUT, as of this afternoon, I can no longer TP more than once without the TP failing and logging me out. Whatever got broken, please revert. For the peanut gallery, no, it's not my connections or computers (I've tried multiple tested connections and multiple computers,) but thanks for playing.

The peanut gallery giggles to itself, wondering how Linden Lab can revert something that didn't change: the roll only affected 10% of the grid and actually took place the day before the "problem" happened. Then they go teleporting all over without problems.

This is pure speculation on my part but the connection to sl has been dropping packets since the weekend, I did wonder if it was down to all the kids here being on holidays and eating up the bandwidth but it seems that there has been an network infrastucture change (at least from Europe). 

When doing a tracert to the sim I call home the route went though above.net (once it got to the other side of the pond), now it seems to be going through level3 and I'm seeing no packet loss now.  I'm stating here for the record that I am no expert in WAN's but the change (even if some fluke) seems to be a very positive one.

Black

I have been experiencing a recurring problem on Bluesteel regions since Thursday. Upon entering the region, a large grey prim appears directly in front of me in the vehicle. This has happened in airplanes and boats. It has happened when I am driving and it has also happened to my wife when she was flying. It has also happened when i was in the passenger seat. This is always accompanied by a crash. I am unable to do anything until i relog. When it happened to me in the copilot seat, i was crashed, but my wife was able to continue to the next airport with the prim intact. I have a few of the planes that this has happened to in my L&F, and they all still have the prim. I compared them to a plane rezzed fresh out of inventory, and they have one more prim. This has occured only in Bluesteel regions, but i have not been able to verify what type of sims i crossed over from. I have attached a photo of one of my planes with the prim attached.Snapshot _ North Channel, Villaamil (33, 112, 201) - Moderate.png

Caleb

The software update on Bluesteel is causing problems.  Any avatar piloting vehicle that crosses into a Bluesteel sim, whether by road, water or air is seeing this untextured grey rectangle attaching to the owner/pilot of the vehicle.

This is occurring on both the Linden Viewer and on Firestorm and is either a software bug or a griefer exploit.  I have had two friends report this to me today following weekend experiences, and I encouraged both to file JIRAs relating to it but I do not know if they have done so.

This requires attention from both the server team and the in-world due diligence team as a matter of urgency, prior to any release onto Main or any other Server.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.