Deploys for the week of 2013-06-10 (updated @ 2013-06-12 15:34PDT)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel):

The main channel is getting the server maintenance project that was on BlueSteel and LeTigre last week.  This project addresses a disconnection issue and also fixes a crash mode.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.05.31.276748

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-06-11 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and Second Life RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are getting a new server maintenance project.  This project fixes some crash modes, addresses an issue with neighboring region visibility, and adds some new scripting features.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.06.06.277104

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.06.06.277104

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-06-12 07:00-11:00 PDT

UPDATE: Due to an issue found shortly after the RC roll, BlueSteel and LeTigre are being rolled to get the same version as Magnum:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.06.07.277164

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.06.07.277164 

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is still on the interest list improvement project, this week.  This change reduces scene loading time when entering a new region.  This week's update includes fixes for two bugs that were introduced by this project.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.06.07.277164

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-06-12 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

• Lindens

Lucia Nightfire wrote:

So glad the scripted prim return functions are finally coming. I do have quite a few concerns about exploits and limitations. I'll bring them up at the next OH.

Here are some general guidelines and thoughts regarding exploits and limitations:

• There are no cases where one of these new LSL calls would return an object that you could not manually return yourself.
  • There are some cases where these new LSL calls will not return objects that you could manually return yourself:
    • To prevent severely damaging accidents the mass returns by owner (llReturnObjectsByOwner) will not work for your own items, items owned by an estate owner or manager or items that are owned by the group the land is 'set' to.
    • To protect some of our back end systems there are some fairly generous throttles in place. These functions should be able to return everything on your land within a region in one go, but not necessarily more than once an hour for such a large return.
  • There is a required runtime permission.
  • This is not a solution to griefing or 'grey goo' attacks. These calls can help with sandbox cleaning and automated rental property management. In some limited cases it may help with griefing cleanup, but the throttles mean it will only be effective after the cause is cleaned up or stopped. It is also not great for dynamic content (alife etc) because objects are returned to their owners inventory - there is no way to return to an object's contents or 'delete' an object with these methods.

So far the results of the restarts in the blue steel look anything but encouraging.  Lag is worse, Memory use is 10 higher than in the past, and sim crossing are terrible.  One can imagine that crashes and failed ports will not be far behind as sim ping seems to be rising as well along with packet loss.  This may well be corrected later but for now this is far from a Linden triumph.

Yet I made the old SL Kessel Run with the new code, starting about 23.45 on the 11th and completing the trip ar about 00:15 on the 12th. I shall have to check whether there is something wrong now, after the RC roll-outs, But I know my connection is bad at this time of day. Sim ping and packet loss might be nothing to do with Linden Labs.

Lydia Craig wrote:

So far the results of the restarts in the blue steel look anything but encouraging.  Lag is worse, Memory use is 10 higher than in the past, and sim crossing are terrible.  One can imagine that crashes and failed ports will not be far behind as sim ping seems to be rising as well along with packet loss.  This may well be corrected later but for now this is far from a Linden triumph.

One day you may surprise and shock and awe all of us by posting your system specs and maybe even the results from speedtest.net or pingtest.net or maybe even a screen shot of your statistics bar.

Are you still having problems with the database?

I'm having issues on Bluesteel & LeTigre regions with not being able to rez from inventory on public rez enabled/public object entry disabled parcels. I tried with LL's latest release viewer, Phoenix & Firestorm, with various alts on different computers, but to still no avail. Regions affected: Mauve, Kenophobe, Shiromani. These are all sandbox regions. People are still able to create prims and copybot though, lol.

Possibly related to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-2844

Hello Maestro,

On some parcels in Bluesteel and Le Tigre my hud cannot rez an object. The involved parcels have Create Object allowed but Object Entry disallowed. Although i can rez an object myself, my hud cannot. Magnum seems not involved.

I entered Jira BUG-2850 for this issue.

Kind regards, Chriss

Maestro

I have checked rezzing of objects at Bulogi Frilly Filly Farm which is LeTigre RC channel and all seems OK if rezzing from inventory.

The invisible avatar (BUG-2820) issue is still present at Pine Woods sim which is Magnum RC channel, though as ever it is intermittent. 

• Lindens

Thanks for the reports, Lucia and Chriss.  I was able to reproduce BUG-2850; I think the issue is that when build is allowed for your avatar but object entry is disallowed, object rezzing from avatar or object inventory fails (one can only create new prims).

The same issue might be causing BUG-2844 too, since your active group tag would determine the object's set group.  We're still investigating this bug.

BUG-2850 is severe enough by itself to warrant a rollback - LeTigre and BlueSteel are rolling to the same version as Magnum.

You're not requesting permissions of object owners to return their stuff. Your scripted object requests permissions from you to return objects. You must also be a land owner, group owner, estate owner or estate manager of the land said griefer objects are on in order to successfully return them by script.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.