Deploys for the week of 2013-06-03

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel):

No rolls are planned for the main channel this week.

Second Life RC BlueSteel and Second Life RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are getting a new server maintenance project.  This project addresses a disconnection issue and also fixes a crash mode.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.05.31.276748

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.05.31.276748

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-06-05 07:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is still on the interest list improvement project, this week.  This change reduces scene loading time when entering a new region.  This week's update includes a fix for the same disconnection bug that BlueSteel and LeTigre address.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.05.31.276770

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-06-05 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

I've just logged in, I'm on an MC server, and you've finally got it right. No lag. the grieing stopped, and the mucis stream I'm getting from the parcel is working fine. I don't know which server farm has the server 127.0.0.1, I'm having problems,doing a reverse lookup, but the ping time is great. It's wonderful.

Oh...

Sorry. I was logged into my own OpenSim instance. Nothing to see here...

I'm actually pretty giddy about the HTTP-IN fix.  It's kind of been a pain in the butt, but I am glad it's being fixed faster than normal.  I have a question though, is it at all related to dataserver() not responding as well?  I haven't filed a bug about it, but occasionally dataserver() doesn't give a reply, and I have found that it is near when http-in URLs are dropped that it starts behaving like that.

@WolfBaginski: Less snark, more constructive feedback.

My report here was closed because someone obviously didn't understand the issue, maybe you can get someone to look at it who understands how e-mail works.  I would be glad to explain it further if necessary, but the report was closed and I'm unable to comment or reopen.  I was able to edit the report itself in an attempt to make it more clear, but I'm not sure how much more clear it could be.  I would appreciate the name of someone I can contact about this if you're not able to look into it personally, considering that it affects all users of the marketplace every day.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-2775

Here is the text of the report, since other people may not be able to see the report:

E-mails from the marketplace show as being from "service" instead of a more meaningful name like "Second Life Marketplace". People don't know which "service" they got an e-mail from until they open it. You can add a user-friendly name along with the e-mail address in the from field of an e-mail, like "Second Life Marketplace <service@mail.secondlife.com>", instead of just "service@mail.secondlife.com".

Maestro

Following the reports of an issue on Magnum sims in the Release Thread last week, I had hoped that this week's roll to Magnum would aid the "invisible avatar" issue.  It has not.  So far as I know, this issue does not have a convenient workaround like the "invisible prim" issue, and as a result a great many avatars remain invisible on Magnum sims unless the viewer or the viewed relog.

This is having a significant impact on at least one club to my knowledge, where traffic is down by over 50% this last week/10days.  I detailed that club in the previous release thread and I do not intend to repeat its name and location here.

When a significant portion of the SL populace is affected by a bug in server software, irrespective of where the final issue lies (it lies deep in the viewer code, but was triggered by server code changes), it behoves Linden Lab to take remedial action since there is significant degradation of the "shared experience".

When the "invisible prim" issue was recognised, Andrew Linden posted on this forum to explain the error.  So far I see no explanation or apology for this, arguably more severe, issue.

This is the first I've heard of an "invisible avatar" problem.  We'll be needing some details to investigate, such as the region name, time of event, would couldn't see who and where they were standing when it happened.  Ideally this info would be put into a jira issue where the investigation could be tracked (rather than putting it in this thread).

BTW, it occurs to me that there is a feature where a parcel owner can specify that people outside the parcel cannot see people inside, and visa-versa.  I wonder if one of the parcels in the club is misconfigured with this option.  BTW, one way to test this is that when anyone driving a vehicle wanders into such a parcel the whole vehicle should disappear.

@Maestro and Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to post here!:smileyhappy:

At the moment and to my surprise, I only have anecdotal info from one sim, Pine Woods, Magnum RC, and from there only 3 avatars, so I have barely enough info to flesh out a JIRA, but I will do what I can, Andrew.

The parcel is certainly set so that no one can see in, being an Adult sim, this is de-rigeur, but once I can get a response from the sim owner, I'll have more to go on.

For myself I can only comment on this one sim, because all the other Magnum RC sims I know are almost always empty!  It has happened to me now 4 times straight, so at least for me it is consistent (I run Firestorm 4.4.0) and I know you need corroboration from someone running the Linden Viewer, which I am attempting to get.  I'll post again once I have gathered more info and raised the JIRA.

I was seeing avatar flight problems, around 20:00 UTC, which were frankly weird. No obvious link to server versions, and things had been OK 8-12 hours before. Symptom was a prolonged sim crossing process, rubber-banding by more than 100m, with the following snapback bringing the AV to the default fly-height over the terrain.  (The height you "jump" to when you start AV flight) Over the Blake Sea this height is underwater.

My hypothesis is that this id down to network communications, rather than an actual server fault, but whether it is the Linden Labs network or somewhere else I cannot tell. Things were definitely better at a time of day when both Second Life and my ISP were lightly loaded, but I am not sure I can stay awake to connect at a time when only one of these parties is being stressed by traffic.

Incidentally, I am coming to the view that the current Physics system is ill-suited to ground vehicles. Boats and flight usually maintain altitude and heading quite well. Ground vehicles will sometimes experience major vertical displacement. I reckon the difference is down to the way that ground vehicles repeatedly collide with the ground as they move.

It could well be network traffic, Arabella, but I can't see any obvious reason why the traffic is worse now that it was a year ago. Sim crossing is definitely worse. I was hopeful when the threaded code was introduced but, apart from the process not totally failing, all the gains have vanished. Today it's even been hard to walk from one region to another.

Maestro and Andrew:

Re invisible avatar bug....

As promised, a Bug Report has been made, though for some reason, despite an error occurring during the creation, the bug report appears to have been logged.

Reports are BUG-2820 and BUG-2821.  The variability of this issue is going to make getting a solid repro difficult.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.