Deploys for the week of 2013-05-13 (Updated at 2013-05-14 14:45PDT)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

The post edit at 2013-05-14 14:45PDT was to update the build numbers for the RC channels.

Server releases are once again moving forward.

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the experience permissions project that was previously on all three RC channels.  This project should bring no visible changes at this point.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.05.04.275247

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-05-14 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel, Second Life RC LeTigre, and Second Life RC Magnum:

All three RC channels are getting a new server maintenance project.  This project fixes some bugs (including some crash mdoes), and also adds LSL support to create and parse JSON-formatted strings.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.05.14.275813

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.05.14.275813

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.05.14.275813

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-05-15 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Maestro

This is a plea to the restart techs themselves: please, please can you be more consistent when sending the restart notifications?

Today I was on one sim, a Main Server one obviously, got the 5 minute restart warning and so quickly finished what I was doing and TP'd home.  Home is also Main Server.  I had been home maybe 3 minutes when I was summarily booted (greyscale screen etc), but AT NO POINT was a restart warning sent!  A quick relog check was done and sure enough I got "unable to connect to a server"...the sim was down.

If restart imminent warnings had been sent I would have seen/heard them, so I am certain that one was not sent when Woods of Heaven (was sim 9696) was restarted.

Please guys, it's not a big thing to send the notification is it?

Since today's restart I am unable to connect to the sever. Also notice after I get the failed logon message my password has gotten doubled. Shut down and restarted several times and made sure I'm not adding to the pass word. Is there a problem with today's restart?

I've run into the problem of no notifications too. At first I thought I was not paying attention. But, it seems coming into a region after the 5 minute warning may leave a person out of the automated countdown warning messages cue.

It is hard to reproduce this one without foreknowledge of region restart order... so I can't be sure.

Can you allow estate managers to set the amount of warning before a maintenance restart? Something like this:

Minimum: 5 minutes (current warning time everywhere)
Maximum:6 hours (360 minutes)

Time between warnings would be good if it was something like this:

1 hour or more remaining: every 20 minutes
30 minutes or more remaining: every 10 minutes
15 minutes or more remaining: every minute
1 minute or more remaining: every 10 seconds

Can you set it to be 30 minutes in the meantime, whether you want to implement something like this or not?  5 minutes is still way too short for a maintenance restart that comes out of the blue.

Maestro

Maestro Linden wrote:

Hi Ayesha, I looked at the 'Woods of Heaven' case you reported.  It looks like that region hit an exception right around the rolls, which is probably the event you saw of a sudden shutdown without warning.

I don't know if "hit an exception" is Lindenese for "something went wrong" or not, but I DO know that when the region came back it had rolled and all seems well now. :smileyhappy:

The Experience Permissions system is an expanded and simplified version of our current permissions system. Once a user grants permission to an experience, any object associated with that experience has the permission to control that user.

More importantly, these permissions span multiple regions, scripts, and objects. This will allow you to create cross-Second Life experiences with one simple request.

That seems to describe exactly what it will do - it may not say exactly how it will do that , but that detail will be coming soon.

Remember. The Lindens were expecting Experience Prmissions to roll out when they built  llTeleportAgent() and that the function would be part of that. When the problems came up they nerfed it and something else but left them in place. I would expect with a working set of permissions for the function to interact with the nerfing will get lifted.

But, we'll have to wait and see.

Seems that the release on the RC channels has brought about an annoying bug that effects control event triggering in attachment's child prims after changing regions.

There are two different effects depending how you enter a version 13.05.14.275813 RC region.

After going into an RC region while using any controls, those controls will lock under execution and remain locked until you reset the script or the control perms or detach the object.

After going into an RC region without using controls like with a teleport, the control event will not trigger when attempting to use any controls until you re-request/re-grant control perms or go back to a main channel region.

I discovered this today when using my dasher HUD which has been a child prim in my main HUD for several years now.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-2601

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

"G-George to Base. William Tare Fox, Over"

Lancaster bombers at low level are not supposed to piroutte, chaps.

I saw that pirouetting yesterday when out sailing.

Instead of bouncing off the ocean floor or going airborne at region crossings, I would spin in a circle for a second or two before recovering.  I don't know if it was a factor, but I was a passenger on someone else's boat.

Talk about getting sea sick.   ;)

Another side effect when crossing sim borders has turned up:
Just after crossing the agent is unknown for a while

runtime error.png

In the control event I want to do a: llStopAnimation( "sit" ); in order to cancel a llSetAnimationOverride();
When I do that I get this runtime error upon sim crossing

I did it in more places including sandboxes running on the main server and I saw the same error every where

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

The "agent not found" error is old. It is more common to see it since more threading was added to region crossings some months ago, but the problem predates that by quite a while too.

This error happens because vehicles and their riders do not really cross over simultaneously. They are moved individually, then the receiving sim puts the avatars back in their seats.

To work around it, use an agent presence check like llGetAgentSize, and skip function calls that operate on avatars unless that returns a nonzero vector.

This old office hour transcript explains what will need to be done to solve this for good. Search in there for Carmilla Linden's discussion of differential crossings and atomic handoff. That would be a future addition to the earlier threaded region crossing changes.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The "agent not found" error is old. It is more common to see it since more threading was added to region crossings some months ago, but the problem predates that by quite a while too.

This error happens because vehicles and their riders do not really cross over simultaneously. They are moved individually, then the receiving sim puts the avatars back in their seats.

To work around it, use an agent presence check like llGetAgentSize, and skip function calls that operate on avatars unless that returns a nonzero vector.

explains what will need to be done to solve this for good. Search in there for
Carmilla Linden's discussion of 
differential crossings and atomic handoff. That would be a future addition to the earlier threaded region crossing changes.

Thank you for the work around. I applied it and it hides the problem

Also thank you for the time you took to explain the bug to me

Some bugs do not deserve to be forgotten until they are dead

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.