Deploys for the week of 2013-05-06

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Server releases are once again moving forward.

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the server maintenance project that was previously on Magnum.  This project brings some new minor features to LSL, and fixes some crash modes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.04.29.274986

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-05-07 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel, Second Life RC LeTigre, and Second Life RC Magnum:

All three RC channels are getting the project which introduces server-side support for experience permissions.  This project was only on BlueSteel last week.  This week's update adds the changes which are going to the main channel.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.05.04.275247

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.05.04.275247

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.05.04.275247

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-05-08 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

• Lindens

Ah, see the next line, Inara:

* Changes since 13.04.26.274926
** Includes changes from Second Life Server 13.04.29.274986

That 13.04.29.274986 version has all the AO goodies.  I'm removing the "Changes since 13.04.19.274370" section from the 13.05.04.275247 release notes to prevent further confusion.

Maestro...anyone

Sailing from Nantucket Yacht Club via Madaket to the next sim San Nicolas, we got hung up on the sim border.  One of us, the "driver" crashed (or at least appeared to crash) and was initially ghosted for a couple of minutes but once she had relogged was in an impossible location in both my viewer and in that of my companion.  We then found it impossible to return to Madaket and initially the sim would not permit us to retrieve the boat (a mesh Loonetta 32).  The owner of the boat relogged and was redirected home, and once she reached our location again was able to take the boat.

Now I had heard that sim crossings had got worse with today's Main Server Roll, but this was by far the worst border stall I have EVER encountered.  Now it might be that sim, but I saw no indications of channel changes, all the sims were, I think, Main Server.  What on earth has happened to hand-off to cause this?  I wonder if object entry issues have risen again?

Having checked, none of the sims were other than Main Server.

Reason for edit: correct name of third sim added and Server channel confirmed.

Second edit: About 30 mins later, I returned to the route we had attempted to follow in the boat, flying, and had no issues crossing into any of the sims, back or forth, so I am puzzled.  I did not check the sim stats at the time on either occasion.

not certain whether it's directly related to the server deploy, but several users have been reporting the old 'face East after TP' behaviour has changed.

The direction faced now appears to be random overall, but sim-specific. TPing back & forth between several sims repeatedly seems to give the same direction for each specific sim, yet different to the other sims in the 'set' no matter what order you visit them.

I tested with 2 avies - they don't face the same way as each other at the same landing points.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-2538

I posted in last week's server update that my sim had improved with the update that got rolled back. Happy to say my sim seems to be running at full speed again for the most part after this week's updates, after several months of suffering. Thank You So Much!!  I don't know what ya did, but I appreciate it. Cheers.

• Lindens

Norton Burns wrote:

not certain whether it's directly related to the server deploy, but several users have been reporting the old 'face East after TP' behaviour has changed.

The direction faced now appears to be random overall, but sim-specific. TPing back & forth between several sims repeatedly seems to give the same direction for each specific sim, yet different to the other sims in the 'set' no matter what order you visit them.

I tested with 2 avies - they don't face the same way as each other at the same landing points.

(copying my comment from the Jira):

Hi Norton, thanks for the report. There actually was a change in this SLS version related to the direction in which you face for TPs, but it wasn't present in the release notes until just now:

>> ** Fixed a bug: "Orientation data for landing point is disregarded during teleport"

Landing points on parcels store 'look at' vectors in addition to positional vectors, so that the landing point can have no visitors face Northwest, for example. When you set a landing point on a parcel, it captures your avatar's current position and orientation and sets that as the landing point. Right now, the viewer only displays the position side of that information, but there is an upcoming change to also have the viewer display the directional heading of the landing point.

It was actually a longstanding bug that you would always face East following a TP - this was caused by a mis-parsing of the 'look at' vector to be <0,0,0>, which somehow got mapped to <1,0,0> (East). The change in this server means that the landing point 'look at' position is now respected. It's likely that the parcels you visit had a strange orientation set for their landing point - this can be fixed by the parcel manager setting the landing point in a direction that makes sense.

That said, while testing the landing point behavior some more today to confirm what you've reported, I did notice a bug - when I teleport between two parcels on the same region, and the destination parcel has a landing point set, your avatar's look-at position following TP is neither aligned with the parcel's landing point setting and does not face the point I targeted within the parcel. This bug does not appear when teleporting between two different regions, so it doesn't sound like you were hitting it from your test in the description.

Well here is the same diagonal sim viewing issue. I don't know maybe your server/network people could look into this.

This is Korea1
sim10023.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.48.33:13022)
Second Life RC Magnum 13.05.04.275247    

looking over into

Korea4
sim10289.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.50.11:13018)
Second Life Server 13.04.29.274986

Snapshot_006.jpg

The diagonal sim problem seems worse this week, even giving sim-down indication on the mini-map. I'm also seeing normally-adjacent sims, N, E, W, and S, not rezzing before I reach the boundary, which can lead to some sort of crash if I try to cross. Walking is slow enough to be able to react in time. Vehicles always seem to be moving faster than is safe, it makes me wonder sometimes about the testing standard for QA.

Greetings:)

(You said ...."I'm also seeing normally-adjacent sims, N, E, W, and S, not rezzing before I reach the boundary")

2 questions.......What is your "view distance" set to? 

And.... What type of sim servers...agni or Magnum or Blue Steel or  El Tigre  or mixed combination?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.