Deploys for the week of 2013-04-29 (Updated @ 2013-04-30 14:00PDT)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is reverting to a previous version.  This rollback is due to a grid performance issue.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.04.05.273580

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-04-30 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and Second Life RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are is still on the project which introduces server-side support for experience permissions.  These channels followed the main channel in reverting some changes, due to the same performance issue.

BlueSteel is still on the project which introduces server-side support for experience permissions.  This channel is following the main channel in reverting some changes, due to the same performance issue.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.04.26.274926

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.04.26.274926

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-05-01 07:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC LeTigre:

LeTigre is getting the same code that was on the main channel last week, with the only difference being that it fixes the performance issue that caused the main channel's rollback this week.  

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.04.26.274921

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is on the same server maintenance project as last week.  This project brings some new minor features to LSL, and fixes some crash modes.  This update fixes the grid performance issue, and fixes an issue in which llDialog() messages sent to the object owner could be incorrectly throttled.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.04.29.274986

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Maestro

I know it's not your gig, but PLEASE can someone kick whoever is responsible for updating the Grid Status Page and get them to announce that restarts have actually begun, please? :smileyfrustrated:

We know they are slated to be occurring and I have not been able to log into my home now since 2:05pm BST.  I get "cannot connect to simulator" so I know the sim is still down.

Sigh.  ETA: [update 6:45am PDT, 30 April 2013] Rolling restarts for the main Second Life server channel are now in progress.

Maestro Linden wrote:

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is reverting to a previous version.  This rollback is due to a grid performance issue.

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-04-30 05:00-12:00 PDT

Are you able to give any details on what the grid performance issue was?

I'm also curious as to the performance issue.  Very recently, in busy sims I seem to often get half-disconnected, where some actions work (avatar movement) and others don't (usually rezzing objects & new textures).  The other day the map would not update, and then I eventually crashed.  On leaving the sim the condition persists for quite some time, until I lose patience and relog.  Doesn't seem to be helped by turning HTTP textures off.

I've been wondering if there's a server performance issue or if I've just developed some network issue.

Yes, scripts that use the new AO functions will crash with a run-time error now when they request permission, due to the version rollback.

Please take longer to test new server versions on the beta grid, it is preferable to pulling script functions out from under us with less than a day's notice.

I can't use SL two weeks.

1 - I can't wear no one layer-cloth without relog.
2 - I can't see no one mesh-object on me and around me. (Meshes is enabled in Debug settings)
3 - I can't see most part of iems in my inventory. I see folders with word "Loadings..." all time.
4 - I can't see names of all avatars around me and in my friend-list. I can't call to anybody first. I can only answer to IM from another people.
5 - I can't TP to any place. I can't walk free at Mainland, because I can see only one location and no more. If I trys to TP I just have crushes.

4 days all was OK, but now I have my problems again, and you talking about new works

SL-support can answer only "I'm sorry". Nobody want to do nothing. 

I saw list of works on server on Greed Status page. New and new works all this and next month. But why you takes from me $45 per month if your experiments does not give me the opportunity to use SL?

As I told, support always answers "I'm sorry" and "we have no control over the changes that the engineers do".

I can't understand why need support service which can't help and which have't information about nothing. Most great that they can tell is "You need clear cache". It's all

Hi there,

I just wanted to comment that last week's (23rd) restarts improved my sim performance - it ran all week at .99 dilation and near 45 physics, whereas before (and now after the rollback), after anywhere from 3 hours to 2 days, the sim drops to about .91 dilation and 41 physics and never recovers. I have pathfinding disabled on the sim. I also have a lot of scripts and many items/textures to rez.

It was quite pleasant to see that my sim was running ultra-smoothly, so I hope that whatever made that happen will be added back soon :)  I suppose it could be coincidence, but I don't think so.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Lali Kamala wrote:

2 - I can't see no one mesh-object on me and around me. (Meshes is enabled in Debug settings)

3 - I can't see most part of iems in my inventory.
I see folders with word "Loadings..."
all time.

4 -
I can't see names of all avatars around me and in my friend-list.
I can't call to anybody first. I can only answer to IM from another people.

5 -
I can't TP to any place
. I can't walk free at Mainland, because I can see only one location and no more. If I trys to TP I just have crushes.

4 days all was OK, but now I have my problems again, and you talking about new works

SL-support can answer only "I'm sorry". Nobody want to do nothing. 

I saw list of works on server on Greed Status page. New and new works all this and next month. But why you takes from me $45 per month if your experiments does not give me the opportunity to use SL?

The things I underlined above are almost invariably caused by network problems. Because others are not experiencing these problems, it's surely something local to the user's connection. That might be:

• the Internet Service Provider throttling bandwidth (possibly even Second Life sessions only, if they're using Deep Packet Inspection, so good bandwidth to other sites doesn't guarantee they haven't done something naughty to your SL connection),
  • troubles in the connection between the user and the ISP. There are a thousand potential points of failure there, all different depending whether the connection is Cable, DSL, Fiber or (heaven forfend) wireless, or
  • something very local to the user's own network.

If it were me, just because it's easy, I'd start with the local network, shutting down all network gear under my control: routers, modems, [EDIT: and the computer, of course], etc. Wait a few minutes, then turn them back on and see if things improve. If not, I'm afraid the next step is to contact the ISP's customer service.

Also, although this doesn't quite match a DNS problem, if I hadn't already configured to use one of Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4), I'd do that right away.

Maybe my bad English does not give you the opportunity to understand what I write.
I wrote that I have a set of problems every time when LL-engineers are doing experiments with servers.
I'm already 20 times answered about my internet connection. LL-support did test of my connection. My connection is perfect.

Lali Kamala wrote:

3 - I can't see most part of iems in my inventory. I see folders with word "Loadings..." all time.

4 - I can't see names of all avatars around me and in my friend-list. I can't call to anybody first. I can only answer to IM from another people.

5 - I can't TP to any place. I can't walk free at Mainland, because I can see only one location and no more. If I trys to TP I just have crushes.

You list perfectly all the symptoms of the "DNS bug". See VWR-26759 for details on that.

You need to change over using Google Public DNS. This post has some nicely written instructions.

Best of luck!

When was this post, I had all set of problems:

[Posted 7:59pm PDT, 30 April 2013] We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on Magnum, BlueSteel and LeTigre RC server channels. They will begin on Wednesday, May 1st, at approximately 7:00AM PST. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and remember to save all builds.For more information about the specific RC server channels, please refer to the links below.

But after this post< I have't problems and all perfect:

[Resolved 11:00 am PDT 01 May 2013] Rolling restarts for the RC server channels are now complete.

Now tell me where you found DNS-bugs?

will group chat be fixed sometime? :D

this:

[05:49 AM]  Unable to send your message to the chat session with xxx.
Error making request, please try again later.
[05:50 AM]  Unable to send your message to the chat session with xxx.
[05:53 AM]  Unable to send your message to the chat session with xxx.

and so on

happens daily.

and has been around for years, i imagine it should be easy to fix...

Lali, the point that these problems are unique to you, strongly suggests a local problem on your side. 

No one at the Lab can check your DNS connection or quality of DNS lookup response. So, whatever they may have told you, YOU are going to have to test it from your side.

Those of us that help others with their SL Problems know from experience the types of problems caused by connection issues. No one at the Lab is telling us it is a DNS problem. DNS servers that may be causing your problems are not run by Linden Lab. YOUR PROBLEMS are typical connection problems, Qie is right. You can fight that advice and remain frustrated or dig in and find the problem yourself.

Read through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. It tells you how to find a problem on your side, at the ISP's side, or on the Linden side.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

At this point, your problems are best handled in the ANSWERS section of the forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.