Deploys for the week of 2013-03-25

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Happy Hilaria, everybody!  Here are the server updates for this week:

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is the maint-server project that was previously on BlueSteel and LeTigre.  This project fixes a fairly common crash mode.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.03.15.271999

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-03-26 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and Second Life RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on a new server maintenance project.  This project has some bugfixes, but the most notable changes are new features in LSL.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.03.22.272565

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.03.22.272565

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-03-27 07:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is on the same project as last week.  This project includes a mix of bug fixes and performance improvements around object and avatar loading for viewers.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.03.22.272563

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-03-27 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

both my reported sims are up too, safe kitten looks normal, fablewood forest there are prims not rendering, these are reported the same by several people and refuse to render even after editing or relogging, it happens to both worn meshes and sculps but not all sculps but always the same prims.

edit: there is also an isue with display names not showing

more edit: groups are not showing members

There seems to be a problem with my sim ("Shopping"). It came back online after the restart, but the neighbouring sims do not show, eventhough they are online. The land flags (pathfinding, land for sale etc.) are not right and the parcel names are not showing. I am just a cloud. I relogged serveral times, but still the same. There are other people on the sim.

johnpatty wrote:

both my reported sims are up too, safe kitten looks normal, fablewood forest there are prims not rendering, these are reported the same by several people and refuse to render even after editing or relogging, it happens to both worn meshes and sculps but not all sculps but always the same prims.

edit: there is also an isue with display names not showing

more edit: groups are not showing members

I logged into "Fablewood Forest" directly from the login screen and the "Requesting capabilities..." immediately jumped to "Attempt 3." No display names, empty group list, etc.

I also cannot teleport to other sims from my sim and my friendslist is not loading. I logged in to another sim with the new server version (Two Moon Paradise, Second Life Server 13.03.15.271999), which seems to work fine. I can teleport back to "Shopping", but get the same issues overthere. I now get the land flags and parcel name etc from the previously visited location.

• Lindens

Malate Banufong wrote:

The fix for bug 1814 is showing up again for roll out this week in the RC Magnum details, if you click the link to the Release Notes. Was there a problem with the first roll out?

Hi Malate, the Magnum roll hasn't happened yet - Magnum is still on this version grid-wide, today: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.03.15.272004

Stephan,

This is an acknowledged bug by LL that they refuse to tackle either because it's way down on the priority list, or they don't have money nor the resources to tackle it.  I wish I could figure out why they don't fix this because IMO it is a priority bug but who am I :).  This is my post from last weeks roll and Maestro's reply.

Re: Deploys for the week of 2013-03-18

[ New ]

Reply to Nimh20 Vandeverre - view message

‎03-25-2013 04:09 PM

Hi Nimh, that neighboring region visibility problem is a known issue, which has happened to various regions sporadically for several months now.

Re: Deploys for the week of 2013-03-18

[ Edited ]

Reply to Maestro Linden - view message

‎03-25-2013 08:43 AM - edited ‎03-25-2013 11:18 AM

Maestro,

This has been a problem for a long time with the sims. disappearing without them being down. It's there but its not there diagonal bug has not been fixed.  This does not matter whether I'm on Wi-Fi or LAN.  I'm sure others see it when they are their in these 4 sims.. In this picture I'm in Bonifacio, Ahern which is diagonal is there but just disappeared from view.  If I go over to Ahern and look back at Bonifacio the same thing happens. Bonifacio disappears. This intersection of sims is on the Mainland and are Dore, Ahern, Morris, Bonifacio.  This is a Landmark that everyone has in the Library of their Inventory so when new residents finish with the tutorial sims. this is 1 of the 3 Landmarks in that folder they would go to.

Snapshot_028.jpg

Its not just the neighbours, Nimh20. The sim seems to be completly disconnected from the grid. Friendslist not loading, groups not loading. Parcel name and flags not showing. I cannot teleport out, though I can teleport in. I tried relogging, I tried logging in with an alt account. I went to other sims that also got the new server version. On the other sims all works fine. Maybe just the update to my sim failed somehow.

Maestro, mabe you can initiate another restart of the sim "Shopping"? My landlord is not online and I can´t do it.

Just because the Lindens do not respond to a bug does not mean it is being worked on  (not very useful for us I know).  Often bug fixes come through in new tranches of code which address the fundamentals behind a number of issues.  I don't know if this applies to the sim visibility problem but I do know it has been raised for quite a while with a few Lindens so I would be surprised if it was being completely ignored.

Please correct me if im wrong.....but I think you accidently stated that backwards?

Probably you ment to say .... Just because the Lindens do not respond to a bug does not mean it is NOT being worked on 

wow...a triple negative to make it read correct...:)

Hitomi, surely you understand that any bug or feature mentioned by any resident anywhere on any medium must be immediately gang tackled by all Lindens, including HR and finance, or it proves that they don't care one iota about Second Life's long term stability.

(Though if we had read access to JIRA it'd help the sane ones feel better.)

I will say I'm glad that 13.03.22.272565 got the update to pathfinding. Now there is no AI Step Time consuming physics timing if there are no PF characters present in the region. That means regions without PF characters can perform as if PF was disabled. Of course, once a single PF character is introduced to a region, it can expect to take a 3 - 4ms hit to physics timing depending on how many objects are set to Movable Obstacle, but at least resources are no longer wasted when PF characters are absent. Thanks for that much needed revision.

dd Temin wrote:

Please correct me if im wrong.....but I think you accidently stated that backwards?

Probably you ment to say .... Just because the Lindens do not respond to a bug does not mean it is
NOT
being worked on 

wow...a triple negative to make it read correct...
:)

Thanks for the correction - and both versions could be correct :-)

Lucia Nightfire wrote:

I will say I'm glad that
13.03.22.272565 got the update to pathfinding. Now there is no AI Step Time consuming physics timing if there are no PF characters present in the region. That means regions without PF characters can perform as if PF was disabled. Of course, once a single PF character is introduced to a region, it can expect to take a 3 - 4ms hit to physics timing depending on how many objects are set to Movable Obstacle, but at least resources are no longer wasted when PF characters are absent. Thanks for that much needed revision.

I agree it's a nice optimization. But for the record, adding a PF character to my sim only shows AI Step time taking 0.75 to 1.0 ms. So either I'm special, or maybe there are even more optimizations at work here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.