Deploys for the week of 2013-03-18

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is the maint-server project that was previously on Magnum.  This project fixes some bugs.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.03.08.271457

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-03-19 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel and Second Life RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on the same server maintenance project as last week.  This project fixes a fairly common crash mode.  The only update for this week was to include the changes which are in the main channel update

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.03.15.271999

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.03.15.271999

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-03-20 07:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is getting an interest list improvement project.  This project includes a mix of bug fixes and performance improvements around object and avatar loading for viewers.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.03.15.272004

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-03-20 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Maestro could you be more specific when you say a crash bug is being fixed?  There are several common crash bugs loose in SL at the moment and unless you give a few details of the nature of the crash it could be any of them and telling us you are fixing one non specific crash is meaningless, as we have no idea what to look for.  

Maestro........In order to properly test aircraft sim crossings after putting bug fix 1814 in Magnum sims on Wednesday.

Can you tell us where to find 2 Magnum sims that are next to each other?  I find lots of Magnum sims  but always they are alone with different type sims around them.

My home sim is a magnum sim  and has a LL maintenence sim next to it   but its not a Magnum sim.

I am not sure what to expect if only one sim has the 1814 bug fix  and not both sims.  any ideas?

thanks

I've been led to believe that some of these unspecific bugs are security-related, which would jusftify the reticence. But I agree that a little more info would be helpful. A JIRA reference of the form SEC-1234 would be rather a giveaway, so how to resolve that conflict? Maybe something like Magnum-Wk01 to identify where and when the bugfix went public?

One minor little admin niggle I'm noticing.

The Calendar, RHS of the Status page, always gives the start time for the Main Channel rollouts as 5am

And they seem to be consistently starting, according to the actual Status Reports, at about 7am.

Maestro, if the Calendar start time is the time you and the team have to show up for work, and you do a couple of hours of setting things up, it makes some sense. But it still looks a bit slipshod. It could as easily be an obsolete setting that has never been fixed.

With today's inventory maintenace scheduled to start at 5am, the combination could be seen as a little reckless.

• Lindens

Alexi Raynier wrote:

Maestro could you be more specific when you say a crash bug is being fixed?  There are several common crash bugs loose in SL at the moment and unless you give a few details of the nature of the crash it could be any of them and telling us you are fixing one non specific crash is meaningless, as we have no idea what to look for.  

Sorry, I can't be more specific without providing a hint/recipe to would-be griefers.

• Lindens

Darleen Emerald wrote:

Maestro........In order to properly test aircraft sim crossings after putting bug fix 1814 in Magnum sims on Wednesday.

Can you tell us where to find 2 Magnum sims that are next to each other?  I find lots of Magnum sims  but always they are alone with different type sims around them.

My home sim is a magnum sim  and has a LL maintenence sim next to it   but its not a Magnum sim.

I am not sure what to expect if only one sim has the 1814 bug fix  and not both sims.  any ideas?

thanks

Hi Darleen, the "Magnum Sandbox" regions (there are 4 of them in a 2x2 arrangement) are ideal for testing this sort of thing.  The other RC channels have a similar set of sandboxes, as does the main channel (called 'Main Channel Sandbox ').  Access to these regions requires membership in the free-to-join "Second Life Beta" group, which is all about simulator testing.  If you visit there tomorrow after the Magnum roll, you should be able to see the difference with your vehicles.

• Lindens

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

One minor little admin niggle I'm noticing.

The Calendar, RHS of the Status page, always gives the start time for the Main Channel rollouts as 5am

And they seem to be consistently starting, according to the actual Status Reports, at about 7am.

Maestro, if the Calendar start time is the time you and the team have to show up for work, and you do a couple of hours of setting things up, it makes some sense. But it still looks a bit slipshod. It could as easily be an obsolete setting that has never been fixed.

With today's inventory maintenace scheduled to start at 5am, the combination could be seen as a little reckless.

Hi WolfBaginski, we really do start the main roll at 5AM every week, though it tends to take a while before the first simulators actually shut down.

AnthonyDelgardo wrote:

Nobody flies, nobody sails, businesses are closing down. What happened six weeks ago that caused this? 

Well, I have good news. I'm at the Magum sandbox testing a vehicle that has been problematic, and sim crossings seem to be greatly improved. I'm going to test a few more vehicles. I don't have an airplane, someone needs to show up and test one.

just add on here

my simboard has 21 scripts in it. so pretty heavy. if keep the speed down then it goes better on the magnum sandboxes crossings than before. if go as fast as I would normally like to go (which is pretty much faster compared to most other vehicle uses) then I can still smash the camera. submarine. unsit myself. and eventual lock up the viewer

on the 4 x magnum sandbox then I test by go to the intersection and monster all 4 by going in circles and weaving it with quick changes of direction (:

+

with a lite single script vehicle then is way better. is nearly impossible for me to total wreck the viewer now with a single script lite. but is doable and i have to be going at extreme fast speed. way faster than any driveable speed

like there is fast and then there is driveable fast. so accept that there is some reasonable balance expectation here 

+

this not mean that am still not affected by network lag sometimes and end up get Darn message that way. but this a different issue bc it apply to all things and not only just vehicles

Well done Andrew and Maesto !!

Just finished testing 4 different aircraft for Sim Crossings in Magnum Sandboxes.

Aircraft Sim Crossings  are good again :) Thank you thank you.

I hope  to see the 1814 Bug fix in a main agni servers next week.

Could you share with us what the "fix" was  and why it works now?

The problem was caused by the new interestlist code which tries to not subscribe to objects that are outside of the camera view.  When crossing a region boundary your viewer would extrapolate your camera forward, the vehicle would be created behind the camera, and the server would not subscribe to it.  The faster the vehicle the more likely this would happen.

The solution was to special case interestlist subscription to whatever you're sitting on -- the server now ALWAYS subscribes to your seat.  We already had some special case code for seats, but it needed a little more.

Andrew Linden wrote:

The problem was caused by the new interestlist code which tries to not subscribe to objects that are outside of the camera view.  When crossing a region boundary your viewer would extrapolate your camera forward, the vehicle would be created behind the camera, and the server would not subscribe to it.  The faster the vehicle the more likely this would happen.

The solution was to special case interestlist subscription to whatever you're sitting on -- the server now ALWAYS subscribes to your seat.  We already had some special case code for seats, but it needed a little more.

Very good work! Thank you.

Car/bike/plane crossings on the Magnum boxes went pretty darned well today, even with the kiddies and their griefy toys dragging down a couple of the regions. They weren't perfect (really not expecting perfect to ever happen given what's involved), but back up to the "I can live with this" state of a few months ago. Thanks, all.

add more

+

I had another two goes today. I get a period  where I didnt get any of my usual other network problems. was insane good (:

I go on my simboard. the heavy script one. and my avatar and camera stick to my board like glue at the speed I usual like to go. was a bit of lag popping and that. but I never lost it at all or crash or nothing for that period of time

+

then I crank it up to the max and absolute monsta it. lol. big crossing pops sometimes but

if just keep going at way over 60meters per sec wide open where I was steering it. it still stick and puts me right back on next sim exactly where I am supposed to be. even after monsta pops. so can just keep on hammer it and trust that it will catch up to me and still be safe (:

wasn't all perfect at the monster speed bc I get a couple of Darns and I actual lost the board about two times as well. it went wizzing off into space somewhere. but when I did lost the board I didn't get stuck. was just standing like normal. not stuck underground in the corner of the sim like the old unsit used to do and have to relog. so I could move round and rez another board and off again (:

I not normal drive that fast but I want to see

altogether is really good for me now. like I don't get stuck and it recover. which the main things

so woohoo! and thanks (:

some people what to know how fast is fast?

this is fast. not many people drive this fast. except me and some crazy people (:

I have crappy ADSL connection. on a copper wire at the end of the world. this vid is just me hammer it on the Magnum sandbox

is a 21 script simboard. and I not let go of the drive key at all. nevermind the sim boundaries. and brrrmmm !!! petal to the metal  (:

I leave vid up for 1 or 2 days then take down. bc is demo of how hard and fast and crazy we going to have to go now to even get close to a vehicle crash (: I nearly done it right near the end but fail (:

the recovery is amazing. evn tho I am lag popping all over the place. is way better the recovery part than even before the latest problem with the interest list

am really happy  about this (:

+

(have taken the vid down off youtube. bc the fix is now on main channel. so all good)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.