Deploys for the week of 2013-02-25

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think LL's only responsibility is to make sure the changes they make work on THEIR viewer. It's the responsibility of the TPV devs to make sure their viewers work well with any updates or changes made by LL. LL invests time in keeping the TPV's in the loop for coming changes and that pretty much ends LL's responsibility.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

To say that only Proprietory viewers must be used is a spurious and invalid argument.

I don't expect that Linden Lab would do this

no it isnt. not from a debug pov

can the problem be reproduced in the computer program that the software engineer is responsible for? answer is a yes or no question

if yes then can make a fix for it. if no then is nothing for this software engineer to fix

I don't expect any engineer to fix another organisation's software. consult on protocols/design yes maybe where is shared commonality. fix no

from users pov. submit the bug report and repo to the appropriate engineer. TPV user -> TPV engineer -> shared commonality process. linden user -> linden engineer -> shared commonality

Well, despite your points, 16, I remain implacably convinced that LL engineers must work more closely with TPV teams in order to make SL work for the vast majority of users.

To say that LL's responsibility ends with their own viewer is an old, tired and utterly discredited argument.  It is the "fall-back" that LL rely upon to get them out of corners they themselves paint themselves into.

I repeat: it may be LL's position, but it is not the way forward for SL.

Whether they, or some of their staunch supporters realise it, unless LL learns to cooperate, Linden Lab and SL will most assuredly sicken and die.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Well, despite your points, 16, I remain implacably convinced that LL engineers must work more closely with TPV teams in order to make SL work for the vast majority of users.

To say that LL's responsibility ends with their own viewer is an old, tired and utterly discredited argument.  It is the "fall-back" that LL rely upon to get them out of corners they themselves paint themselves into.

I repeat: it may be LL's position, but it is not the way forward for SL.

Whether they, or some of their staunch supporters realise it, unless LL learns to cooperate, Linden Lab and SL will most assuredly sicken and die.

seems to me that you extrapolating what was asked by the linden engineer of the TPV user into something else

something else which is not true. that linden do not work closely with TPV teams. this not true. linden do. can ask the TPV developer teams about this. is true that some TPV teams would like linden to allow more time for TPVs before linden make changes. but the TPV teams do get a heads up and have a channel to communicate direct with linden engineers and their managers

+

the linden engineer on here asked can the TPV user poster please reproduce the problem in the linden viewer

this a stock standard request of any software support for any company anywhere

extrapolating this request into suggesting that the above is not true is wrong

+

like I said already: is a process to follow: TPV user -> TPV engineer/support -> (TPV/linden shared common process)

TPV teams want their users to follow this process. so that they can determine if is their viewer or is lindens before they (TPV team) escalate it to next level

this the right and proper way. if user can reproduce in linden viewer then it goes down that path: linden user -> linden engineer

don't know why you still seem to think the process should be: any viewer -> linden

where do this leave the TPV team? where do this leave the linden team?

Linden Lab puts out the 'de facto' standard of viewers. It's all anyone really needs to use SL.  TPVs of course add on their toys, and that's fine.

But if you're going to say that should "SL sicken and Die" because of something TPVs do or don't do, and that's LL's fault.... That's some seriously messed up logic.

TPV developers are responsible for making sure their modifications don't break the viewer. And that's exactly how it should be. To have a LL developer chase down a bug only to find out it's some bug a TPV developer introduced, would be a massive waste of LL's time. So that is why they ask people to use the Official Viewer to  see if the bug is still present.

Hi!

I'm having same issue since 2 weeks. I cannot drive my car at low speed nor my airship. Inside a sim, I have no lag issues, but when I pass a sim crossing I loose control of my vehicle and my camera goes nowhere. Sometimes, (only sometimes) it gets back after 2minutes. It seems, however, that co-pilots don't have this issue. 

Hope you can fix this problem very soon

Regards,

Estrella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.