Deploys for the week of 2012-07-02

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This week things will be mixed up a bit. Because it is the 4th of July on Wednesday Linden Lab will be on a holiday. Because of that we will not be doing a rolling restart Tuesday OR Wednesday. We will be doing the Tuesday roll on Thursday morning. 

UPDATE >>>>>>>>> Because of network outages Thursday AM the main channel upgrade was postponed until next Tuesday.

The main channel code remains the same as before. 

Second Life Server (main channel)

This channel will have the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code that was on all the RC channels last week. This channel will be upgraded Thursday morning, instead of Wednesday.

2012-07-05, 5:00am: Release Notes: 
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12

Second Life RC BlueSteel

This channel will have the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code that was on here last week. This code is on all RC channels. This channel will not be restarted.

2012-07-04, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12

Second Life RC LeTigre

This channel will have the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code on all channels. This channel will not be restarted.

2012-07-04, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12

Second Life RC Magnum

This channel will have the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code on all channels. This channel will not be restarted.

2012-07-04, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar Linden wrote:

We have halted the rolling restart upgrade this morning. There were erratic network issues that made the upgrade process difficult. We will re-schedule for next week.

__Oskar

Hi Oskar, did something happen to the grid? I was just logged on, logged off to do some editing in my graphics program, and now can't get back in.  Nothing is posted yet on the Grid Status, but I'm getting a failure to connect message.

Edited: Just after I posted my question here, the Grid Status changed and says there is unscheduled maintenance, etc. So, I know now why I can't get online!

Oskar

I am very concerned.  I am told reliably by an inworld group that Linden Lab intends to roll Pathfinding again this coming week to RC sims.  This despite knowing that Mesh vehicles (my interest centres around Mesh boats) will not be able to cross any sim boundaries if at one point they cross into an RC sim.  Is this so?

The last attempt at promoting Pathfinding borked any object (not just Mesh ones) crossing sim boundaries "back" to non-RC sims from RC ones.  This has been fixed hasn't it?

With all the thousands of issues as described in the SL JIRA still being unresolved or not fixed (personal interest registered on SVC-8026), why is this (Pathfinding) being pursued so single-mindedly?  Should I really be asking the CEO?

Edit PS:  When I log in here I get thrown to the Main Help page.  If I return here I am no longer logged in it claims.  What??

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Oskar

I am very concerned.  I am told reliably by an inworld group that Linden Lab intends to roll Pathfinding again this coming week to RC sims.  This despite knowing that Mesh vehicles (my interest centres around Mesh boats) will not be able to cross any sim boundaries if at one point they cross into an RC sim.  Is this so?

The last attempt at promoting Pathfinding borked any object (not just Mesh ones) crossing sim boundaries "back" to non-RC sims from RC ones.  This has been fixed hasn't it?

With all the thousands of issues as described in the SL JIRA still being unresolved or not fixed (personal interest registered on SVC-8026), why is this (Pathfinding) being pursued so single-mindedly?  Should I really be asking the CEO?

Edit PS:  When I log in here I get thrown to the Main Help page.  If I return here I am no longer logged in it claims.  What??

Pathfinding will be on RC next week. Upgrading Havok is a tricky procedure. The inability of mesh objects to region cross to old versions is a disappointing side effect. Having Pathfinding on just one RC channel will minimize the instances of this. Support will be monitoring the regions and if we notice large numbers of failed mesh crossings we will handle those at that time.

We have three RC projects going out this week. We are certainly not single minded. We have many things being worked on at the same time. I apologize if the priorities we have set are not the same that yours would be. I'm sure you can understand.

As for the login issue I have no idea, I'm sorry.

__Oskar

There are times when I wonder who is setting priorities at Linden Labs, and even sometimes just what they are smoking. We're not getting the full picture out here, but there does sometimes seem to be an excessive dedication to the shiny.

As for Havok physics, this problem isn't going to go away. How can it? There will be new versions of Havok. So what plans are there for handling potential side effects?

Very obviously, is there any mechanism for the Havok version to be detected without entering the region? There are tools which warn of banlines at the edges of adjacent regions, using LSL (because of camera positions, vehicles speeds, and lag effects, the in-world visibility of banlines, even if you fixed the region-edge problem, is damn nearly useless). If you cannot provide the system-hooks to allow advance warning of hazardous region boundaries (Sim code version might be enough, but not everyone is going to be reading and understanding the announcements here), we're going to get repeats of the fear and suspicion and, whatever the reality might be, every time people will come away with the feeling that Linden Labs doesn't care.

I hope there are solutions. I can see maps of the Blake Sea being marked up, and the dozens of sailing groups checking routes and sailing courses. And i can see the people having to do such things wondering why Linden Labs are being so bloody minded about Pathfinding, and breaking so many things for what looks like a gimmick.

The corporate image isn't your problem. You do a better job than most at communicating with the customers. But, I admit, I have not yet been convinced of the merits of Pathfinding, and if I were setting priorities, it would not be high on the list.

@Oskar

You point is well made, but the issue of priorities is not mine vs "yours".  It is all the "residents" of Secondlife  vs some Linden roadmap.

New features are all very well and presumably appeal to the programmers as new challenges.  The challenges faced day in-day out by the residents of Secondlife in dealing with broken features (Marketplace is a classic case) appear to have a much lower priority.

What those of us at the coalface of SL see is a new, questionably researched piece of code being promoted ahead of the fixing of many other existing but broken features of our world.

They may not have the "wow" factor of Pathfinding etc, but unless and until those features are properly triaged and fixed, SL will continue its slide towards obscurity.

Is your CEO so shortsighted that he cannot see this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.