Deploys for the week of 2012-06-04

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because of a security issue caused by Magnum and discovered over the weekend we had to do an emergency deploy to main channel, BlueSteel, and LeTigre today. There will be no main channel deploy on Tuesday morning. on Wednesday morning the 3 RC channels will get upgraded code during a rolling restart. Details TBD.

In unrelated news be sure to check out the Transit of Venus Tuesday afternoon if it will be visible from your location:

- http://www.transitofvenus.org/

It won't happen again for 105 years!

Second Life Server (main channel)

This channel received an emergency rolling restart Monday afternoon and will not be restarted Tuesday morning.

2012-06-05, 5:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12

Second Life RC BlueSteel

This channel has the simulator changes to process prebaked avatar textures for library outfits. This is the same code that was on here last week.

2012-06-06, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12

Second Life RC LeTigre

This channel contains simulator changes to help with upcoming infrastructure projects. There are no visible changes to behaviour. This is the same code that was on here last week.

2012-06-06, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12

Second Life RC Magnum

There are no new features in this maint-server channel. There is just a fix for this bug: 

• Bug Fixes
    • SVC-7902: Problem of not being able to rez on my land continues

2012-06-06, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar

Good to see the SVC-7902 bugfix out, that will be eagerly awaited on Main Server when and if it is ready for promotion.

Dare I wish for a smoother week?  I hope that doesn't jinx things!:smileytongue:

Too much heavy cloud for us in the UK whatever the likelihood of seeing the transit...didn't even see the sun today!

Is it just me, or have llTeleportAgent, llTeleportAgentGlobalCoords and llAttachToAvatarTemp been disabled on Magnum?

And if they were disabled as part of the emergency deploy, shouldn't the Magnum release notes reflect that somewhere?  

(If they weren't disabled, then they've suddenly stopped working as expected, at least in Magnum 1 Sandbox).

Oskar what is going on?  Since the end of the restarts today it has been all but impossible for me to successfully log in with any viewer.  I either lock up, or get horrendous sim ping and then crash.  This was not the case this morning and began only after the today's restart.  This occurs in every sim I have tried including Garmu, which makes me think that it my not be a RC server problem but something that was done either during the Monday restarts,or during the work done during the evening last night, and somehow activate either by the restart or in the wake of the restart.

From what limited contact I have had with other people they too are experiencing this problem and it appears to be growing. This is probably the last thing SL needs at this point for a general failure to be able to log in could will be the start that breaks the back of the player population and leads to a general exodus from sl.

At present I am paying 600 usd a year for services that for the last six months I, in all honesty, have not recieved and if this does not imporve soon I will sell my land and cancel my premium account when it comes due in July and if thing do not continue will be gone by August, probably taking with me several of the businesses I am associated with and adding my land holdings to the growing expanse of cheap land for sale on the mainland.  Quite frankly, if LL is not capable or unwilling to offer a dependable level of service and continues its ill considered policy of expanison, I see no real future for Second Life and it may well be time for people to start looking elsewhere. 

This would be a shame for, despited its many flaws and the general inabilityor unwillingness of Linden Labs either to correct them or even admit they exist, this is an well designed game which, if properly managed and nurtured could well be the star of the internet.  Instead it has become a sad joke that is slowly slipping into ruin and low tragedy.  This need not happen but if it does Linden Labs will have no one to blame but themselves and their leadership.  Hopefully, somone will come to their senses and stop this from happening but right now I am not optimistic.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Is it just me, or have llTeleportAgent, llTeleportAgentGlobalCoords and llAttachToAvatarTemp been disabled on Magnum?

And if they were disabled as part of the emergency deploy, shouldn't the Magnum release notes reflect that somewhere?  

(If they weren't disabled, then they've suddenly stopped working as expected, at least in Magnum 1 Sandbox).

The code that had those features is not on any region on the grid. The Magnum Release Notes were updated to reflect this:

- https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12#12.06.04.258763

__Oskar

Lydia Craig wrote:

Oskar what is going on?  Since the end of the restarts today it has been all but impossible for me to successfully log in with any viewer.  I either lock up, or get horrendous sim ping and then crash.  This was not the case this morning and began only after the today's restart.  This occurs in every sim I have tried including Garmu, which makes me think that it my not be a RC server problem but something that was done either during the Monday restarts,or during the work done during the evening last night, and somehow activate either by the restart or in the wake of the restart.

From what limited contact I have had with other people they too are experiencing this problem and it appears to be growing. This is probably the last thing SL needs at this point for a general failure to be able to log in could will be the start that breaks the back of the player population and leads to a general exodus from sl.  

This is the only instance I have heard of this. Is this still an issue?

__Oskar

Oskar, I've gotten reports from just about everyone I know on this issue and have experienced it myself. However I do not think it is the servers being at fault more then it is more a viewer problem and how it interprets data received. In my tests I've traced the problem to a memory release issue where the viewer will continually eat more memory until the person crashes or can't move from lag. On my system I have 5 gigs of memory and when I crash I will have run out. Early symptoms of this are exactly as Lydia reported and have been getting worse of the past few weeks with more frequent crashes.

MB Robonaught wrote:

Oskar, I've gotten reports from just about everyone I know on this issue and have experienced it myself. However I do not think it is the servers being at fault more then it is more a viewer problem and how it interprets data received. In my tests I've traced the problem to a memory release issue where the viewer will continually eat more memory until the person crashes or can't move from lag. On my system I have 5 gigs of memory and when I crash I will have run out. Early symptoms of this are exactly as Lydia reported and have been getting worse of the past few weeks with more frequent crashes.

You say it's a viewer issue that is memory related but Lydia said she can't log in. How is that the same? Wouldn't you have to log in before you triggered a memory bloat situation?

I have had to reboot my computer in order to be able to log in after a memory crash or sometimes, but not always , after I end the processes of the up to 10 slpugins that remain running after the viewer closes. Yes I know slpugin does not in itself have anything to do with logging in but it is part of the overall login process,

MB Robonaught wrote:

I have had to reboot my computer in order to be able to log in after a memory crash or sometimes, but not always , after I end the processes of the up to 10 slpugins that remain running after the viewer closes. Yes I know slpugin does not in itself have anything to do with logging in but it is part of the overall login process,

I'm not sure I see how that could be tied to a server version. Wouldn't it more likely be a new viewer issue?

That's my point. Lydia's issue is a viewer issue. However I do agree with Lydia that something in the server code has triggered the viewer bug as it started after a server upgrades. Akin to storing gas is easy and safe until you introduce a trigger(spark) then you find out the bad results(exposed bugs that where hidden before) It doesn't mean the server code is bad just that it pointed out a hidden problem in the viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.