Deploys for the week of 2012-04-16

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have nothing to promote this week because all of the RC's were on trunk last week. We will have code ready for the RC's this Wednesday. There will be no code promotion Tuesday morning.

On the RC's we will be doing something new after the simulator deploy. We have a new system that allows us to modify simulator configs outside of a regular deploy schedule. We will use that _after_ the simulator deploy to set the avatar fly height to 5,000m. We are setting that onto the RC's only. That way we can observe behaviour of existing objects that might behave differently based on the changed avatar fly height limits.

Second Life Server (main channel)
There is no promotion this week.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This channel has Inventory API changes. Improvements were made to the way inventory transactions are handled in order to improve scalability and reliability of inventory transfers.

NOTE!: The avatar fly height will be set to 5,000m after the simulator deploy.

Second Life RC LeTigre
This has the same Inventory API changes that are on BlueSteel.

Second Life RC Magnum
This is a maint-server deploy. 
  • New PRIM_SLICE value can be used in llGetLinkPrimitiveParams() and similar functions to set the slice value for prims that support slice values.
  • HTTP_BODY_MAXLENGTH has been added to llHTTPRequest() allowing return body sizes up to 4k for LSO and 16k for Mono scripts
  • New LSL llGetRegionAgents() function returns a list of all agent keys on the region

Bug Fixes

• SCR-15: Add flag parameter [vector slice] to llSetPrimitiveParams PRIM_TYPE flags PRIM_TYPE_BOX, PRIM_TYPE_CYLINDER, and PRIM_TYPE_PRISM
  • SVC-680: Increase HTTP Response body size from 2048 to 4096 or larger
  • SVC-5488: llGetRegionAgents() -- returns list of agent keys in the current region
  • SVC-6894: Excessive EnableSimulator message spamming to viewers
  • SVC-7307: creation of scripts gets a nice error

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Teleport problems? All over SL? I need specific reproducible bugs to have something to fix. I believe you that you experienced failed teleports but that can be really all sorts of things. It could have been transient network issues on the client end. It could have been transient network issues on our end. It could have local issues on the client machine. It could have been server issues. The only thing that I can help with is when specific reproducible bugs are found. I can have the development team focus on these to get fixed. If you can show me that there is a bug in new RC code it's even faster that we can get a fix out. 

I'm looking at the graphs for the metrics we gather for TP success and the graph looks very stable over the weekend. It looks just as stable as it did the week before and as stable as it has been the last two days. There is no new code this week to address the issues you are seeing because we aren't seeing the same issues. To fix bugs we have to have issues to fix and TP success rates according to our metrics are not failing at a level that warrants closer inspection. 

I'm sorry for your experiences. I hope you can understand our position not to fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

__Oskar

@Oskar

Interestingly I have indeed not noticed any serious issues regarding TP in the last few days, nor have any of my friends and considering my "onboard script load", if anyone were to have issues, it ought to be me...!

One oddity did occur yesterday with a serious rezzing from inventory and taking to inventory problems, which affected me and one other (also UK based) avatar.  This issue persisted across TPs (which weren't affected) until mid evening UK time, so what that was goodness only knows.  Even buying seemed slow (delivery of objects).

We have not encountered it today, Oskar.

Oskar I hope something is being done about the large number of port failures and crashes that we have seen since the start of the weekend and that if they are messing with inventory they will somehow improve access speed for inventory which should not have to tie up a computer for close to a minute to open, search, or move from general inventory to new items.  If any of these things are improved by the restart great, but if not LL is just wastng our time.

When I log into SL, most of the time I start at the grid status page.  Sometimes there will be a message something like this:
We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Magnum, BlueSteel, and LeTigre RC server channels shortly. Please save all builds and refrain from rezzing no copy objects or making inworld L$ transactions.

But if I do not check and I just start SL viewer, there is no mention that this is taking place.  How about a little flashing box or something that just says “server updates”.  If you click it you are taken to the grid status page, and that could save you some potential problems.

And a side note, I can't read the server restart message without hearing in my head:
Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!
{I guess it's just me :) }

Teagan Tobias wrote:

When I log into SL, most of the time I start at the grid status page.  Sometimes there will be a message something like this:

We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Magnum, BlueSteel, and LeTigre RC server channels shortly. Please save all builds and refrain from rezzing no copy objects or making inworld L$ transactions.

But if I do not check and I just start SL viewer, there is no mention that this is taking place.  How about a little flashing box or something that just says “server updates”.  If you click it you are taken to the grid status page, and that could save you some potential problems.

Well we've done releases every Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for more than a year now. Look at your calendar when logging in. If it's Tuesday or Wednesday morning we'll be doing a release.

__Oskar

p.s. I see your schwartz is as big as mine.

@Teagan:

Don't you get little "Your region will restart for maintenance in 5, 3, 2 and 1 minutes" messages?  I know they are not as clear as they used to be in V1 viewers, but I haven't missed one yet. I use Firestorm FWIW.  Any chance of improving those messages' visiblity, Oskar?

@Oskar

Haven't seen any problems on LeTigre yet.  Scripted vehicle fly height is changed at intended, so far as I see, but I'm damned if I can be bothered to fly up to 5000m to check the limit!  I assume that is what you mean by "avatar fly height"

Ayesha Askham wrote:

@Teagan:

Don't you get little "Your region will restart for maintenance in 5, 3, 2 and 1 minutes" messages?  I know they are not as clear as they used to be in V1 viewers, but I haven't missed one yet. I use Firestorm FWIW.  Any chance of improving those messages' visiblity, Oskar?

I think there is a jira for improved visibility of server restart messages.

__Oskar

• Lindens

Levio Serenity wrote:

I found another instance of a non backwards compatible change to llDeleteSubString()

-Tiger

Right now llDeleteSubString uses the exact same code whether compiled to mono or not. As such the current behavior is the expected behavior, and the change is most likely a result of the relatively brief time when their implementations differed. If you can demonstrate a difference when compiled to Mono or not on the same region I would be interested.

Hi Oskar I've been getting multiple reports of teleport failures as well. I did some testing and discovered the following symptoms I was able to duplicate on Monday.

Land marks worked fine in all regards

double tap teleport from one sm to another failed only when one sim was for example on the main and another was magnum. On Monday double click tp's failed on my two connected sims every time(one magnum one the main server). On Tuesday I requested both sims be on the magnum server and that solved all issues with double click teleports.

IM tp sent to a person failed for the same reason of being on different servers on Monday. I have not tested this today(wed)

Conclusions could be drawn that there is something going on between servers that can be fixed or it was a minor glitch that the rolling restarts cured on Tuesday

Oskar Linden wrote:

I have update the release notes. The most interesting thing to note is that after the deploy
we are raising the avatar fly height to 5,000 meters
on each of the RC channels.

Keep an eye out for fly related issues on the RC channels.

__Oskar

Short feedback:

I tested the new fly height limit on RC Magnum region Ouranos. This was my experience:

• Without a flight assistant I achieved an altitude of 5067 meters.
  • The avatar starts flickering above 4096 meters (visible/invisible) as long he's moving. Without moving, I've seen no issues.
  • The viewer menue bar shows always a height of 4096 meters while moving at any position between 4096 and 5067 meters. After stopping movement, the height indication switch to the correct value. (with official Viewer 3.3.0 )
  • When the avatar is above 4096 meters, the world map shows always a height of 4096 as current position.
  • No issues with different flight assistant tools, like Flight Feather, Conovers Flight Helper or MystiTool > "Flight" plugin. Also with different speeds I see nothing wrong besides the points mentioned above.

Maddy Gynoid wrote:

• The avatar starts flickering above 4096 meters (visible/invisible) as long he's moving. Without moving, I've seen no issues.
  • The viewer menue bar shows always a height of 4096 meters while moving at any position between 4096 and 5067 meters. After stopping movement, the height indication switch to the correct value. (with official Viewer 3.3.0 )

This is a Viewer 3 issue, see VWR-28713

V3 has a  clamping set at 4096m which can cause some weird effects when trying to fly higher.

V1 based viewers dont have this clamping.

Firestorm has this clamping removed  (FSRemoveFlyHeightLimit in debug)

Heya Oskar,

The Magnum sandboxes dont appear to have the new fly height enabled (Magnum sandbox 1-4).

Magnum Sandbox 3 is also poorly. Its throwing everyone who TP's in to 0,0,35 & we are unable to move to another location in the region at all.

Tested at 1.19am SLT 19/04/2012

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

It seems I am a bear of very little brain. I was confusing two different height limit things.

It happens. No worries. I was confused too. That is why I tried being specific and call them 'avatar fly height' and 'parcel ban height'.

__Oskar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.