Deploys for the week of 2012-02-13

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We are promoting the code that was on the RC's this week.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This maint-server has huge improvements to certain LSL functions. We attempted to roll this code out a few weeks ago but noticed a script crashing bug that necessitated a rollback. This version is fixed. This code was on all three RC channels.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This channel has some voice changes. This code is also on LeTigre.

Second Life RC LeTigre
This is the same project as BlueSteel.

Second Life RC Magnum
This is the Threaded Region Crossing Stage 1 Project. We have hopefull fixed all the ghosting issues.

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar

Pardon me if I sound a note of caution... Yes last week's roll to the RCs doesn't seem to have thrown up any bugs or issues, but surely running a series of server replacements simultaneously with a server software roll out is flying in the face of conventional logic?

We are told time and again that LL operates a secure service and that stringent QA checks accompany any changes.  So now we see two groups working on the servers at the same time doing different things.

How on Earth will the techs know which change produces a problem if two things are being changed at the same time?  That flies in the face of all logic and all that I was taught about maintenance. 

The RC rollout last week was a pretty big test, though it would have been a lot of work if a problem had emerged. And it would have annoyed a lot of customers.

As for the hardware maintenance, I figure we're lucky to get this much ifo about what's going on.

I see what you're getting at with the apparent timing. There is usually an announcement that the software roll-out has started: nothing yet. My guess is that this ongoing hardware maintenance has effectively been tested against the new sim code already. with enough of the RC sims running on the new hardware. But since they never seem to say anything--Oskar is an exception--we're left to speculation. And, yes, some of us with experience of running a business, or maintaining a computer network, sometimes think whisky tango foxtrot.

Trying to do two things at once and keep track of the changes to a working system is next to impossible, but this is par for the course for Linden Labs and Oskar cannot be blamed for this.  The key fact thoush is not just doing two things at once, but the fact that this is a system at work and you can never tell how it will react to even the best tested code, and if the past is a measure LL code is seldom well tested.  My main concern though is introducing new code to the RC servers before we can fully tell the effect of last weeks effort.

Granted last week has let to great improvements in the RC servers, but the memory leaks and the crashes that go with them have not stopped and will not be fully able to be measured til this code is installed on the main servers and we can judge it against the background of the whole system.  Right now it is impossible to tell how much memory is lost in a RC server as opposed to a main server and we badly need a week to judge the impact of last weeks changes on the system as a whole and to see the effect today's server work and the work that will inevitably follow will have on the entire system.

Simply, declaring this fixed and rushing on to another project invites disaster and duplicates the behavior that caused this massive problem in the first place, so for once let's err on the side of caution, take a week to access the results of these changes on the system as a whole, clean up the remaining problems then consider what to do next.  This I realize is not the Linden way but at this point given the mess we are just emerging from maybe it is time to find a new way based on caution, careful consideration and testing rather than a blind rush toward a lemming like disaster.  Again I realize Oskar has little to do with making this decision and am addressing this to his superiors in hopes that they will step back fromt he brink and maybe spare us another disaster that we cannot afford to endure.

I sure hope the promoting goes well seeing how my two warnings went ignored. Half the people on my magnum sim can't rezz and the other half can't delete items not to mention prim shift is rampant in linked objects by a full .100m. Lag is higher then normal too and we had to cancel our racing event yesterday from these issues

Oskar

Just what is going on?

Our sim (21071 Woods of Heaven) is being rolled as I type this...but to what?  Your release notes above link to last week's roll.  We are already on 12.02.06.248938!  We were rolled to that last Wednesday.

The post on the GSP refers to Beta/LeTigre: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta/LeTigre...what on earth is that? 

I am very concerned that the only information I can access is very clearly WRONG.

I know Kuula had a restart, about an hour ago now. Running code marked as "Second Life RC LeTigre 12.02.02.248819".

That looks odd 

It may be something to do with fixing the bug in the Region Crossing code, which made such a mess the weekend ofter it was rolled out 12-01-25, because there is a mention of some changes in the Region Crossing code.

Removed unnecessary information being transferred across region boundaries during region cross, causing possible instability. 

The timing is plausible. Am I going to risk crossing a boundary this weekend? For some reason, I am suddenly finding it hard to trust the Lindens. 

@Wolf

Well, I had my Whisky Tango Foxtrot moment, for sure!

Got back in after the region restarted and sure enough we are also running 12.02.02.248819, and also sure enough, all the release notes are now showing the version we are running.

The date of the code is very strange, it almost looks like a reversion, though the code has never (to my knowledge) been on the Main Grid before.  I am beginning to think that Oskar also had a wtf moment today as well.

This may well have to do with region crossing, so I'm polishing my crucifix up for tonight.  I ain't afraid of no Ghost!

i won Alaska Raceway and last night due to an unknown reason our track experienced a catastrophic failure in the quaification board not recieving data from the track and just the day before it was working just fine so my question is what is Linden Labs doing to fix this problem that apparently came about due to the BUG installed in the main server previously ?

I was encouraged by seeing all of the improvements for last week's deploy on the SLServer (main channel).  Unfortunately there still appears the problem with the Physics FPS dropping to nothing with no one on the sims ... particularly with my homesteads.  I know whatever was causing it in the past was fixed at one point...but as mentioned a couple of weeks ago here, it appears to be back and very present.  Until then several manual restarts a day of the regions affected do appear to work for a few hours anyway ...

Jack please understand Dales frustration. I know he had worked weeks building a race track with thousands of lines of code only to have it shut down after working fine for a week by a script bug introduced to the main server. Also understand that LL has a sever deficiency of the way it handles customer service. Whether you file a ticket or the laughable Live Support it will leave you even more frustrated when you are either ignored or treated like an idiot. I've ran a real life business for 20 years and a SL business for 3 and one thing I know as a fact is if you want customers, you treat them as intelligent people who mostly just want the company to know there is an issue and it's being addressed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.