Deploys for the week of 2011-09-05

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab is closed on Monday for the holiday. We will be promoting the code in the BlueSteel release channel Tuesday morning. If you discover emergency issues that would stop that deploy please file a jira and bring it to my attention via email immediately.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This channel has parcel rezzing and prim editing fixes.

2011-09-06, 6:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This will be set to match server trunk.

2011-09-07, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
This stays the same as before. It is a "maint-server" project that has some crashing fixes and bug fixes.
Fix for SVC-7169 - "Folders are Texture Category Folders"
Fix for SVC-7192 - "llSetMemoryLimit - Wrong amount being reserved for memory/Display inconsistance with OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY"
Fix for SCR-162 - "Bounds error when calling PRIM_LINK_TARGET in a child prim"

2011-09-07, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
This also contains the same code as before. This includes changes that were made to the permissions system and to simulator configuration. There should be no impact on existing builds. Additionally the fixes from the BlueSteel region were added to this branch.

2011-09-07, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

@Oskar

This is not critical so I'm posting here where you will see it after the holiday.

I note the time for the roll this week on the Main Server set is 6:00am PDT, last week it was 4:00am PDT, the calendar on the Status page says 5:00am PDT.

WTF is going on?  You brought in these weekly rolls to allow some forward planning of SL activities I thought.  How in the name of all that is virtual can we plan when the time of restarts varies every week?

The last few rolls on Main Server have been smooth, I am glad to say, but this variation of the time is a pain and merits an explanation, please.  I know an hour doesn't seem too much, but you try turning up for an appointment or a meeting an hour late and see what happens!

A year ago you used to have to sit around for 3 days and guess which day your sim would be restarted. They have done a fantastic job by narrowing this down to 1 day per channel,

I think the time frame your sim gets restarted depends on what host number it lands on.  If you restart your region sometime in between rolling restarts, You end up positioning your region on another host number/location on the grid, which in turn causes your region to be restarted at either an earlier time or a later time from the last rollout... I kept my region on the same time frame for a long time by not restarting my region in between rollouts

There is only so close they can narrow it down. But having it down to 1 day now is 100 times better than is used to be.

Just my 2 cents lol

@Dilbert

I know they are trying their hardest to keep to timelines Dilbert, you misunderstand me.  It was the disparity between last week's 12noon BST start and this week's supposed 2pm BST start that bothered me.

I know roughly when within a roll our sim will restart, it has been predictable to about 15 minutes quite easily, now that extra restarts have not been necessary.

I now suspect that Oskar's 6am PDT roll time was a typo, since the roll actually commenced at 5am PDT.

The overall predictability of Server updates has been a great boon, and since the Kelly/Mesh mess of a few weeks' back things have been really smooth on our sim.

I've been in SL over 3 years now, Dilbert....I know how much better things are now!:womanhappy:

The times posted are just a rough estimation. Yes I did make a typo and put 6am instead of 5am. The rolls take almost 7 hours as it is. 5AM is the earliest a simulator could be rolled. If there are setup or config issues simulators might not get rolled until after that. This morning no simulators were rolled before 5:45 because of a versioning glitch. Also we roll Linden regions first.

__Oskar

Anyone's homestead not performing well after this publsh? Time dilation going from like .975 down to like .1 on a 5 to 10 second cycle. I am also seeing Spare Time going from like 16 ms down to .001 ms on similar cycles. SIM was fine before publish. I am wondering if the Hoimestead butg where they were misreports free resources so the Homestead server is trashing itselve again.

@Oskar

Thanks for the explanation, Oskar.  The matter is now understood, even by me!:matte-motes-confused:

@ Juggernutz & Void

On a 5000series Homestead (Woods of Heaven sim no 5680), I'm not seeing these issues, in fact the sim seems to be performing well at present, despite having a couple of temp-rezzers running on-sim.  Whether that tells you anything useful or not I don't know.  Mind you we are very script-load conscious these days.

I hadn't realised it was that long.

There was a thread a couple of months back on some of the difficulties, and I think this is another reason to think about an administrative split of the Main Server channel. It's not unlike waiting for a parcel delivery: this is a whole day.

"Linden Regions"? Just knowing that makes a difference, but what are they? Mainland, or a subset of Mainland? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.