Come back months later

Vin Soulstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Real gaming laptops play Second Life fine - even my 3 year old Dell XPS laptop (with a middle of the road Nvidia 445M) runs it sensationally well.  Maybe you should look at your laptop, your connection and other aspects of your setup to see if you can find where there may be a problem.  If you have the patience that is.

And there we have it for all the people who can't stop saying "buy a new computer, buy a new computer!"

SL will run pretty well on any mid range computer less than 5-10 years old as long as it has a reasonable graphics card.

The issues you describe smell like a bad connection to me, not faulty or outdated hardware or LL bugs. It's just a hunch and as long as you don't post your computer and network specs it will remain just that. A snapshot of the ctrl-shift-1 window in SL might also help determine what's wrong, especially the network data such as bandwidth and ping sim.

Flame all you want your just pathetic little bugs stuck in a world of fake people.

Apart from the more than questionable grammar your post isn't very inviting to reply to it in any way, flaming or helpful.

Is it asked too much to research your problem first, before unfounded attacking hundredthousands of happy users? Let me help you with some productive questions?

- what are the specs of your gaming lappy?

- how's your connection doing? A speedtest/tracert could prove helpful.

- what OS are you on?

- what viewer are you using?

- ever heard the term "troll"?

- ever thought about anger therapy?

Sincerly

a flaming pathetic little fake bug

In this case I think that might work out better. It's still the same worthless advice though :)

It's like saying "I have a flat tire, let's get a new bicycle." It would solve your issue, as long as the issue isn't caused by a nail factory across the street, but can hardly be considered the right solution.

Fortunately many people here on the forums, and I bet inworld as well, provide ways to test what's actually wrong.

Again, it really doesn't take a brand new high end computer to run SL. This week I installed SL on my previous computer to see how it did. On a fairly loaded sim (I know that's very subjective) I got 20-30 fps on med-high settings, the settings SL chose for me. On my near empty building platform I saw over 70 fps. Specs are AMD X64 3800+ 2GHz, 3.5 GB RAM, factory underclocked 9600GT and Win XP Pro, wireless DSL connection (about 8Mbits measured) through a 20cm reinforced concrete floor and a bunch of metal shelves. I think nobody would call that either high end or expensive. I do have to add I have it at a low resolution, since it's hooked up to my tv.

Vin Soulstar wrote:

Nothing has changed, i buy a gaming laptop, still the same **bleep**.

Cant TP cant message, seriously LL, id say fail but fail is beyond what LL does.

Flame all you want your just pathetic little bugs stuck in a world of fake people.

Why even post here if you only expect flaming and we are all pathetic little bugs? Methinks I smell a troll.

In addition to the DNS issues others have posted about, this could be a firewall configuration issue. Either a hardware firewall inside your modem or router, or a software firewall in your computer. Most firewalls will block Second Life by default, but this can be fixed. See:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.