Can't login, help needed!

frostmonty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I'm having a pretty messed up problem right now. I had to make this new account just to post here, because I can't get into my main acc. I can login inworld, but not on the website. This happened right after I changed my password. I get the error message that I have typed my name or password wrong, but I know I'm typing it right. I pasted it directly from the document where I typed in my new password to begin with, but it still won't let me in. Now I've read about other people having a similar problem, and they said something about certain characters you weren't allowed to have in your password - and I'm thinking duh, why wasn't I informed of this? My new password contains normal letterz a-z, and a few numbers. If numbers aren't allowed in your password, they should TELL you.

Now, I was going to contact support, but I have to login to do this. I can't press the "forgot password" thing either, because I signed up for SL years ago, with my old email adress that doesn't exist anymore. I can't change the email either, because you have to login to do this....! I am getting so frustrated. I want to access my account, it has all my billing info and everything on it and I'm not comfortable with not having access to it. 

What on earth am I supposed to do? :matte-motes-not-entertained: Is there anything I can do from Inworld?

My password has letters and numbers so I know that combo is OK. Sometimes when you copy and paste from a document it takes an extra space at the end, so if you have not make sure you try just typing the password. If that doesn't work then call LL. And make sure you update that email once you get back in.

I have of course tried typing it in many times, but it's pretty clear that the problem lies with LL. I'm in Europe and I don't speak English well, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to call them. Isn't there any other way I could contact them? 

1.  Where did you read about people having this kind of trouble?

2.  IF you had used an invalid charachter when you changed your password it would have been rejected.  You would have been told to try again.

3.  You are going to have to call them.

frostmonty wrote:

I have of course tried typing it in many times, but it's pretty clear that the problem lies with LL. I'm in Europe and I don't speak English well, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to call them. Isn't there any other way I could contact them? 

Okay, silly question - are you sure you're typing in your USERNAME correctly? You might have made a typo in it without noticing and the fact that you've recently changed your password is making you assume it's the password but the same message will happen with a mistyped username.

I was able to recover my account, but only by recovering my old and lost e-mail address. When I attempted to reset it, I had to

1. Answer a security question that I set 2 years back, and have no chance of remembering the answer to

2. Name 3 of my "friends" with their various last names (a.k.a random people I have on my friendlist)

Or 3. Remember the exact amount I was billed last

Really? Is this the way to go? Really? I'm actually kind of shocked by this system and how difficult it is to get help. I was lucky that I was able to restore my deleted email account. I was lucky that I could login to the viewer and find the names on my friendlist. (For some strange reason, Firestorm had no problems with accepting my password, but the website did....)

LL has some very sensitive info about me stored on my account, and I don't mean to be difficult, but it really should be easier to get immediate help when something like this happens. Not everyone is comfortable calling a support number and trying to explain a problem in a language that is secondary to them. 

-- Edit: when that is said, thanks to you who tried to help :) I'm absolutely sure though, that I typed all the info correct. The only thing that worked in the end was changing the password to something else.

password.jpg

frostmonty wrote:

I was able to recover my account, but only by recovering my old and lost e-mail address. When I attempted to reset it, I had to

1. Answer a security question that I set 2 years back, and have no chance of remembering the answer to

2. Name 3 of my "friends" with their various last names (a.k.a random people I have on my friendlist)

Or 3. Remember the exact amount I was billed last

Really? Is this the way to go? Really? I'm actually kind of shocked by this system and how difficult it is to get help. I was lucky that I was able to restore my deleted email account. I was lucky that I could login to the viewer and find the names on my friendlist. (For some strange reason, Firestorm had no problems with accepting my password, but the website did....)

LL has some very sensitive info about me stored on my account, and I don't mean to be difficult, but it really should be easier to get immediate help when something like this happens. Not everyone is comfortable calling a support number and trying to explain a problem in a language that is secondary to them. 

-- Edit: when that is said, thanks to you who tried to help
:)
I'm absolutely sure though, that I typed all the info correct. The only thing that worked in the end was changing the password to something else.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

I'll agree that questions like last names of friends are ridiculous, especially when spelling counts, etc,etc, and last billing amount can be difficult if it was so long ago if you don't have those bank or credit card statements anymore that payment was made with.

I'll also agree it would be fabulous if they had multi-lingual people working support.

On the other hand you've learned why you should never take security questions flipantly.

But while you are complaining that it should be easier because they have your sensitive information, I'll say that I am on Linden Lab's side here.  It shouldn't be easy because it is my sensitive information they are holding.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.